LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

QTP exhaust cutout

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:03 PM

QTP exhaust cutout

Looking at the QTP from speedinc and have a couple questions.

First of all, I know on electric cutouts "back in the day", they were headache prone. Gaskets would last 1-2 open/close cycles before leaking. Motors would burn out etc. Does this still ring true?

There are two units on the website with a 30 dollar price difference. One is w/flowtech cutout one without. Is this just something for Flowtech headers? (I have Hooker LT, ORY and catback)

Last of all, does this cause any loss in power when open? What backpressure requirements are on a near stock LS1? And when closed, does it cause enough turbulence to see a discernable loss?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:30 PM

Re: QTP exhaust cutout

I didn't even use the gasket between the electric plate and the cutout, and it has never leaked, so I guess the tolerances are much better these days. My motor hasn't burned out, but its is recommended on mine to not hold open the switch for long since it could burn out the motor-3-4 seconds is the max which is fully open/closed. some units have lights to let you know. There hasn't been a day that I've driven the car and not opened it up then closed it (I open it for full throttle only) I usually open it two or three times a day and it has been performing without a problem for at least a year. I have the DMH which has a 3 year warranty on all parts including the motor. I got it through a group purchase with the cutout for around 160 bucks. I would do it all over again, its a great item. I had a problem with the wires plug coming apart but I put some plastic ties around it and its fine now. Thats the only issue I've had, and it seals up real nice closed without any leaks. I don't think it causes any performance loss closed because the once the turbulance equals out it is fine.

Hooker and flowtech are both made under the company Holly so I can't see why that cutout wouldn't work, in fact both headers are identical except for some minor things like slip on collector vs bolt on, and of course weld quality. The cutout sits far enough back that it shouldn't matter which brand you have. Do you have a link to the 30 dollar difference? I don't think the LS1 needs any backpressure , my cutout nets me a solid tenth open-
Old 08-13-2005, 09:05 PM

www.speedinc.com in the exhaust section ~
Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 PM

My personal opinion is that the QTEC is the best on the market. very high quality piece and it will last for years. I ran one of their prototypes before they were even on the market... it still works today after countless years of abuse. Its no longer installed on my car I just took it off this winter because I no longer run the car on the street, but its still working like it was new.

As for the difference in price... if you already have a cutout installed on your car you only need the electric plate. If you have noting then you will need to buy the QTEC and the flowtech.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Another vote for DMH here. I was able to prove on Saturday how good the DMH seals when we saw a 20 rwhp gain from opening the cutout on the dyno while I was getting tuned. I used a McCord for two years and it started to fail. I picked up the DMH on a group purchase and it's a wonderful piece. Very solid and fast.

Last edited by PAGregSS; 08-15-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Looking at the QTP from speedinc and have a couple questions.

First of all, I know on electric cutouts "back in the day", they were headache prone. Gaskets would last 1-2 open/close cycles before leaking. Motors would burn out etc. Does this still ring true?

There are two units on the website with a 30 dollar price difference. One is w/flowtech cutout one without. Is this just something for Flowtech headers? (I have Hooker LT, ORY and catback)

Last of all, does this cause any loss in power when open? What backpressure requirements are on a near stock LS1? And when closed, does it cause enough turbulence to see a discernable loss?
I have a QTEC from QTP. No problems, never skipped a beat. Cant say that about the others, because the others are not in the same league. The 30 dollar price difference is the the black y pipe(cutout). If you dont have a cutout on your car you will need the one w/flowtech. But i would get the QTEC with the QTP stainless steel cutouts. They just came out with it. I have a flowtech cutout on my car and replacing it with there new stainless ones. So much better. Wont rust out on you.

No loss in power open. Dont even worry about backpressure, the car has plenty. And no turbulence when closed.