LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Problem installing new idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:04 AM

Problem installing new idler pulley

I bought a replacement idler pulley from napa but had a problem installing it using the existing front and back plates ... the dome on the front of the pulley was different, and front plate didn't fit correctly. I managed to screw up the back plate putting the original back one back on.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...artNum=12564401

I was using the tutorial at install university, the GM part number crossed referenced to the part I got so I believe it's the correct one.

I wonder now if the front and back plates are needed? I notice on the box for the new pulley it says:

"The bearing in this product is greased and sealed and therefore does not require the dust cover that m ay be used on the original pulley. Check for interference before reusing the original dust cover".

What do you think?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:25 PM

Re: Problem installing new idler pulley

Just an update ... the guy at the parts store said it doesn't use the dust plate, but when I tried it without the rear plate it doesn't line up right ... and of course my rear plate is bad so I had to order a new pulley from GM to get the plates, they don't sell them seperately.