LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

price of used LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:15 PM

price of used LS1

ok guys, my friend totalled his 98 trans am with an LS1 in it and i have the oportunity to buy it from him for 2 thousand dollars. my question is, what do you think i coudl get for partin it out? it's got the LS1 and auto transmission, both with 77k miles on them, plus the rear wish 3.23 gears and rear disc brakes. it's also got T-tops and the monsoon stereo system.
what do you guys think i can get? the air bags both went off, so they're worthless now.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:24 PM

btw, it's also got full leather interior, steering wheel radio controls and brand new full SLP loudmouth exhaust. i think it was on there for a week before the car was totalled
Old 03-20-2004, 05:19 PM

He should be able to get some good money for the motor. I've seen new LS1s go for as much as $7,995. If he pulls the motor, cleans it up, and puts it in his garage, I bet he will sell it faster than if he's trying to sell it while it's still in a totalled car.

I would definitely part it out and sell all the parts separately instead of as one totalled car.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:15 PM

but see the thing is that he doesnt have the motivation to do that. he's got the insurance money to buy a new car and have some left over to do whatever he wants to it. I dont. thats why i was gonna sell my older motorcycle and buy the car from him, part it out and make some money to start building an L98 for my car.
my only problem now is trying to sell teh bike fast enough and then finding a place to part the car out! i cant leave it at my stepdad's work. his boss would be PISSED.
so anyone got any rough guesses as to the value of these parts?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:58 PM

Ebay is always a great spot to check what parts are selling for. You can do a search for completed auctions and see what the final bid price is to get a rough idea on what things go for. Another place to look is on this site in the for sale section or in your local paper. Good luck with the bike.