LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Posi-Traction Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 08:00 PM

Post Posi-Traction Rear?

I'm new to these Camaros =) I have a 2002 Camaro SS. Is the rear end posi-trac? Or what? I'm not even 100% familiar what that means, but someone asked me today - claimed he had a 98 Z28 that was, and I didnt know...

------------------

-2002 Red Camaro SS
Chesapeake, Virginia
http://www.HeadRushPerformance.Com
Old 07-25-2002, 08:18 PM

Smile

Posi traction or LSD as you'll sometimes hear it called is basically the same thing.There is a minor difference but for now it works like this:
-When you step on the gas both rear wheels turn.Where as with an open rear end only one tire turns.
Hope that helped.There is an entire technical speil that I'm not 100% sure about but that's the basic concept.Good luck.
Kevin

------------------
1998 Black Z28 A4
-------1/8-------
8.584 @ 83.64 MPH
Taylor 10.4mm wires,!EGR,!FRA,SLP Lid,MAF Ends,IAT Tricker,TB Bypass,Manual Fan Switch,and Dynomax Cat-back

BMR STB and Sub-frame Connectors

Pics
Old 07-25-2002, 10:36 PM

Smile

Posi-traction / Posi-trac / "Posi" / LSD - Limited Slip Differential / whatever you want to call it --- here's what happens:

inside the differential, the posi unit uses a set of springs and a clutch pack to stop the spider gears from turning, which in essence "locks" the rear axles, so that when the drive shaft turns the main ring gear, both axles will turn together as if they're one. If the rear end were an open type, both wheels will still turn, but if one tire was on pavement, and the other was on ice (for example), then the tire on ice would spin free, since there is no friction on that side, but the tire on the pavement would not move, therefore, the car would go nowhere. If a car with posi was put in the same situation, both wheels would want to turn, so even though one is on ice, the one on the pavement would still turn, and your car would move.

The benefit of a posi rear end is that, in a race or at the track, if one tire cannot get the same traction as the other, it will not allow that one wheel to start spinning and let the other one slow down --- both wheels are forced to turn at the same speed. HOWEVER, the posi does allow the axles to turn at different speeds if one wheel becomes lodged (ie: in off-roading situations), or while going around a corner (one wheel is allowed to slow down so that your rear tires don't squeal so bad going around the turn). If the car had a solid axle, it could or would snap in those situations, so the posi allows some of the differential function, without sacrificing straight line traction.

That's a little better explaination for ya!

BTW: all Z28's and T/A's (and SS's/WS6's) have LSD's.

------------------
2002 Z28 - A4, 2.73's, Blk/blk, leather, T-tops, sport appearance package - just bought on June 26, 2002! - Pics

1981 Z28 - 383, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi - sold August, 2000 - Pics

1973 Camaro - Dad's & my project in the works - to be built: 355 Chevy, 11.5:1 pop-ups, "camel hump" heads (w/2.02 valves), solid cam, 4-speed.....it should be quick! - No Pics yet.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:39 PM

The short answer ....

"yes"

------------------
2001 TransAm WS6, M6 3.42
HPP, TBB, 160* t-stat, MTI Lid, Holley PowerShot, Flowmaster 80, Port/Polish MAF

2001 Z28
-- R.I.P. - 06/25/02
Old 07-25-2002, 10:49 PM

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rncotton:
The short answer ....

"yes"
</font>
that was the short answer!? Do you want the long answer??
Old 07-26-2002, 03:36 AM

Think of it this way, when you are going strait power is given evenly to both wheels, as you turn the outside wheel is given more power. Plus i think these things have detroit lockers, look into that.

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
Borla (the expensive cut-out), Wisperlid W/K&N, FRA, Cags eliminator, Strange 4.10's, G2 Rear Girdle, Valv. Synthetic 10W-30, Redline gear oil, Fat hurst shift ****, Lead foot

Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtrpro 1000, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's, Focal utopia 6" audiom midrange.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:21 AM

Kick *** description guys, thanks!

Just one question, just for clarification. My Car has LSD/Posi/whatever then?

So all Camaros do? Or only Z28/SS? Or whats the story there? =)

------------------

-2002 Red Camaro SS
Chesapeake, Virginia
http://www.HeadRushPerformance.Com
Old 07-26-2002, 09:50 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Desolate_Flux:
Just one question, just for clarification. My Car has LSD/Posi/whatever then?</font>
This was what my "short answer" was referring to.

Yes .. your ccar has posi.

Old 07-26-2002, 02:50 PM

98+ Z28 all have Torsen diff's. actually the Torsen's don't have clutch's.. instead they have smoe wierd gear arrangement that somehow transfers tq between wheels when it senses slippage....

Then, there is then Auburn(spelling?) posi option, that uses clutches..

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Desolate_Flux:
Kick *** description guys, thanks!

Just one question, just for clarification. My Car has LSD/Posi/whatever then?

So all Camaros do? Or only Z28/SS? Or whats the story there? =)

</font>
Old 07-26-2002, 03:33 PM

Arrow

ALL Z28's, SS's, T/A's and WS6's come with LSD's. It's standard - not an option.

However, AFAIK, V6 Camaros & Firebirds have the option of an LSD. I could be wrong on that though.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:55 PM

Did someone say our cars have Detroit Lockers?

hahah

Anyways

Posi and Limited Slip are almost the same thing. if you wanted to get all techy, then no we dont have Posi's we have limted slips.

Odds are this guy had either the Torsen or Auburn Limited Slip anyways.

Ignore people like that, they havnt the slightest idea whats goin on.

------------------
DaveD
1998 WS6 #207
-ARE Stage II Head/Cam
1998 Regal GS
-It Has Boost

The Phantom of CamaroZ28.com
Http://PhantomTA.cz28.com
Old 07-27-2002, 07:20 AM

Posi (actualy called Posi-Traction) is simply the name GM gives to the Limited Slip Differentials that they put in their cars, FOrd calls them Trac-Locks (or used to at least, dont know if they still do) and Chrysler had a different name for them back in the day. They are all the same thing, which was explained already so I wont get into that.

The Torsen is a different animal, However I think GM still calls it a Posi, even though it isnt an LSD. It is a torque biasing differential, and both tires need to be under load for it to "lock up" its an oddball design. The company that makes detroit lockers also makes a nearly identical unit to the torsen, which is probalby where someone heard that they come with a Det locker.

ALL 98 Z28's came with Auburn limited slips. The torsen or a heavy duty Auburn unit could be had in an SS in 98. In 99 the standard unit became the Torsen, with the auburn heavy duty available as an option in the SS. (I assume this applys to the Firebird/WS6/Firehawk in the same manner, but I never looked into it)