LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Please Help, Wont Go Into PE Mode (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 10:35 PM

Please Help, Wont Go Into PE Mode (Detailed)

A friend of mine has a 1999 TA. The only mods it has is a TR224 114 cam, lid, Flowtechs and a Magnaflow catback. He went to get tuned today, and is experiencing a very unusual problem, and I need the experts help. When the car arrived, the car wouldnt go into PE mode, and the AF was in the low 13's. The tuner then went in, changed the PE multiplier to 1.15, and mistakenly put in 1.55. Under my impression, the PE mode should NOT affect the idle AF. Well after this change the car was experiencing a rich condition at WOT. The tuner went back in, caught his error, and placed the multiplier back at 1.15. This immediately shot the Idle AF to Mid 16's!!! This whole time, the car still wouldnt go into PE mode, yet the AF was changing? While uploading the new file, they lost connection with the PCM, swapped the PCM with a new one, and a fresh GM file, and still it wont go into PE mode, and the car is still at a 14-15 AF. The fuel pressure is great, 57WOT, 58-60 idle. The fuel filter was just changed, and we frankly dont know what do guess from here on out? Any suggestions? Injectors? Thank you for reading, all the info and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Deenasty83@comcast.net
Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 PM

Re: Please Help, Wont Go Into PE Mode (Detailed)

Check the Open Loop F/A vs. ECT vs. MAP. Make sure these values are less than your PE values (1.15) in the appropriate ECT columns.

Did you log any data? If you started over with the stock calibration, which tables were changed and which tuning software? I would think that if a professional tuner is charging for the service, then he should know his software and the PCM. I rarely if ever see shops who offer in-house tuning ask for assistance, nor offer tuning tips, to the DIY'ers.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 AM

Re: Please Help, Wont Go Into PE Mode (Detailed)

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Check the Open Loop F/A vs. ECT vs. MAP. Make sure these values are less than your PE values (1.15) in the appropriate ECT columns.

Did you log any data? If you started over with the stock calibration, which tables were changed and which tuning software? I would think that if a professional tuner is charging for the service, then he should know his software and the PCM. I rarely if ever see shops who offer in-house tuning ask for assistance, nor offer tuning tips, to the DIY'ers.
since we started with a new ECU and new stock calibration, no tables have been changed, because the car is still leaning out. When the tuner went in to adjust PE, he did, and the car simply doesnt read the PE table. He said we could leave the car there, and he could figure what is causing the problem, but we figured we would bring it home, and try to figure it out ourselves. The funny thing is when the PE tables were tampered with, it would changed the idle AF? The tuner is not the one asking for assistance, me and my friend (owner of the car) are. We monitored the TPS voltage, and that was fine, and so was the MAP, thats why we cant figure out what is causing this strange problem. Let me clarify this, the car IS going into closed loop (PE), it just doesnt seem to read the chart accurately..This is all done with LS1Edit. Thank You very much for responding!