LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

PLEASE HELP! ANYone with ANYideas

Old 08-03-2002, 01:28 AM

Exclamation PLEASE HELP! ANYone with ANYideas

I have a VERY bad rattle coming from the area with the Panhard Rod, Fuel Tank, Heatshield, and Muffler. I have been under the car about 3 times now, trying to fix the rattle. Everything SEEMS to be tight. The heatshield above the muffler rattles a lil bit when I knock on the fuel tank. I also noticed that the bar above the PHR is VERY close to the Fuel tank, within an 1/8" in some places. I tried wedging some foam in b/w some of the places where they were close, I also wedged a piece of rubber up b/w heatsheild and fuel tank. However the rattle still is VERY bad, it hasnt gotten any better.
There are some sheilds on the back of the rear rotors. When I tap on those they seems to cause a rattle. However I do not know how to fasten these down to see if this is the problem.

**I have yet to duplicate the rattle while the car is up on jackstands. It only happens when I'm driving. It occurs over any size bump.

Please help, I've been trying to fix this rattle for about 2 months now

------------------
**Onyx Black 2001 Z-28 w/ GFX**
Performance Mods:G2 air lid, MAF, skip shift eliminator, Hypertech 160 Powerstat, free ram air mod,k&n filter, SLP Hi flow Bellows kit, SLP Air Temperature Module, Lou's Short stick, Corsa Premier catback.
Chassis/Suspension Mods: G2 SFC's, G2 3pt STB
Appearance Mods: RK sport carbon fiber letters/Z28 overlays & Nose Badge, Red Calipers W/ Black Brackets.My Z-28
Old 08-03-2002, 12:18 PM

Lightbulb

Hey first off, nice car! Is it more of a rattle or a thump? The only thing that I can think of is if you have a rear end girdle with the load caps, some times they can contact the panhard. Other than that have you checked your exhaust? I hope this helps.

------------------
'98 Artic White Z28 M6
Free Mods! LS1 Lid, Smooth Bellows, 160 Stat, Flow Cat-back, B&M Ripper.

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/gc456
Old 08-03-2002, 02:08 PM

Have you put it on a lift that you drive up on so that the suspension stays loaded? It sounds like an exhaust problem, whether it's from the pipe going over the axle or the muffler being too close to the heat shield.

------------------
'02 SS: 11.63 @ 114.06 MPH, 1.588 60'; 3,515# raceweight, 1,102' D.A.
naturally-aspirated with bolt-ons, a cam, and a fat converter!
L.G. Motorsports (972) 272-7753
Check out the SS!
Old 08-03-2002, 04:00 PM

Is it when you are going or more on the freeways. The shop bolted one of my borla tips mounts backwards, cuased ti to rattle under load, like taking off and mostly in 5th ciusing through a small town when it was decelerating at about 1500 rpm's. I am not sure if corsa bolts to the tips to the rear but check that out, push it up and down and so on to see if you hear any banging. Panhard rod wouldn't hit unless you have bad bushings. But the tip mount rattle i had took me 6 months to find it.

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
Borla (the expensive cut-out), Wisperlid W/K&N, FRA, Cags eliminator, Strange 4.10's, G2 Rear Girdle, Valv. Synthetic 10W-30, Redline gear oil, Fat hurst shift ****, Lead foot

Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtrpro 1000, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's, Focal utopia 6" audiom midrange.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:44 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trevor98ramair:
Have you put it on a lift that you drive up on so that the suspension stays loaded? It sounds like an exhaust problem, whether it's from the pipe going over the axle or the muffler being too close to the heat shield.

</font>
No i haven't had it on a lift. I dont think its the exhaust tho, the muffler has plenty of clearance with the heatshields.

GC456 - its kinda of a mix between a rattle and a thump. Its not a tinny rattle. However it does sound metallic. I've never thought about the girdle load caps hitting the PHR, i'll have to check that next time i'm under the car.

redz_02 - the speeds i notice it at most are speeds under 50mph. Altho I'm sure it still happens at higher speeds, i just can't hear it. And I dont think its the tips, cuz i had my dad drive the car with me in the backseat with my head in the trunk. the rattle seemed to be coming from the area closer to the axle than the back bumper.

------------------
**Onyx Black 2001 Z-28 w/ GFX**
"I hate rattles"
Performance Mods:G2 air lid, MAF, skip shift eliminator, Hypertech 160 Powerstat, FRA,k&n, SLP Hi flow Bellows, SLP Air Temp Module, Lou's Short stick, Corsa Premier catback, Mobil 1.
Chassis/Suspension Mods: G2 springs, G2 SFC's, G2 3pt STB, G2 LCA's, G2 Adj. Panhard Rod.
Appearance Mods: RK sport carbon fiber letters/Z28 overlays & Nose Badge, Red Calipers W/ Black Brackets, 18x9.5 z06.My Z-28