LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

pinion angle question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 06:36 AM

pinion angle question

Hey all, I searched the site so I am pretty sure this isn't a re-post....

I have a one inch drop with my pinion angle set at -2...I don't have any big power adders that would justify setting it any more neg, but should I go back to -1??? Anyone else with a drop on their LS1, what do you have yours set at??? Or does the drop not effect me at all? Reason being, I still have a bit of wheel hop to sixty feet (or close to it) on Nittos....I have an RK sport torque arm, and MAC LCA's with brackets.

D
Old 04-13-2003, 01:23 PM

Wheelhop is primarily from your LCA's. What kind of bushings do you have on your MAC's?

As far as your pinion angle goes, dropping your car isn't going to change that at all. More negative pinion angle can increase traction, but it also shortens U-joint life to some degree. You should be fine at -2.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:27 PM

hmm really? Thanks...I re-enforced the torque box when I threw them on, I will have to watch that...I have polyurethane bushings
Old 04-13-2003, 01:30 PM

No problem. Here's a detailed explanation I wrote on another web forum a while back trying to explain why wheelhop occurs.

Wheel hop is not the entire rear end (both tires) bouncing up and down on the pavement at once. What it is, is what happens when one tire gets more traction than the other with a posi rear end. As one tire grips, the other one may spin. This causes one side of the rear axle to be further forward in the wheel well than the other one, which binds (bends) one LCA, while pulling against the other one (some of this pulling is just stressing the stock rubber bushing). Basically all this flexion happens around the torque arm/drive shaft in the middle of the rear axle. As the binded suspension rebounds, it forces that tire with traction to LOSE traction, letting it slip back into place, but then the axle motion allows the OTHER tire to now get traction. It creates a viscious cycle in which your rear end just teters back and forth until you let off the gas, or torque is backed off from vehicle speed.
Hope you get it figured out.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:36 PM

..from BMR fabrication...

M6's like negitive 2-3 degrees
A4's like negitive 1-2 degrees

...good luck