LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 PM

Parking Brake

if u dont use the parking brake on a manual car does it effect the the car in anyway. like wether ur on a hill or running into the store is it bad to not use it?
Old 01-15-2003, 12:25 AM

Exclamation

Well, no. BUT, you've gotta remember that the transmission isn't locked like an automatic, so the car can still roll. Therefore, you definitely shouldn't leave it without the e-brake set on a steep hill. I'm sure you probably know this, but always use 1st or reverse if you're parking without the e-brake...........the car is hardest to get rolling if in either of these gears. As a rule though, I'd say it's best to get in the habit of setting the e-brake every time for what it takes. FWIW, sometimes I'll set the brake in my car which is an automatic. I usually don't, but sometimes if I'm parked on a steep incline, I'll set the brake before putting the transmission in Park so that it's not hard to get back out of Park afterward.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:57 AM

thanks

i use the E brake all the time. the reason i asked was becuase my friend dosent use it and i told him he would mess his jeep up....guess i was wrong.

thanks for the info though
Old 01-15-2003, 09:24 AM

Manual tranny means use parking brake every time you park. Make a habit of it.

Auto tranny means that not using the parking brake is OK, but if you're parked on a hill, you should (as was mentioned) engage the parking brake before shifting into P to avoid putting a load on the tranny and making it unable to shift out of Park. (Trust me, getting a couple of guys to push against the back of your car, uphill, to relieve pressure on your tranny so you can shift out of park ... well ... that's going to get you some good ribbing afterwards)
Old 01-15-2003, 09:26 AM

Your call will roll away.....I don't think you would want that to happen
Old 01-15-2003, 02:56 PM

Exclamation

Originally posted by rncotton
Trust me, getting a couple of guys to push against the back of your car, uphill, to relieve pressure on your tranny so you can shift out of park ... well ... that's going to get you some good ribbing afterwards
Wow!? I've never had that happen before, but I don't doubt that it could. I guess that would suck eh??

And again, whether to use the e-brake or not, it's not going to do any harm, however there is that potential that the car could roll (on an incline) so IMO it's not a risk worth taking. ALWAYS set the e-brake.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 PM

Either use it or don't. If you don't use it for a long then use it once, it might lock up on you. I would use it.
I forgot once. I got out of my car and started walking away. I parked on a slight hill in my apartment parking lot. As I was walking away, I almost got crushed between another car and my car as it slowly rolled down the slight incline towards me. I had my back turned to my car as I walked away. Since then I always use the E brake.