LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Oiling Holley/K&N filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:59 AM

Oiling Holley/K&N filter?

Quick and silly question. Just cleaned my Holley powershot filter and haven't oiled it yet(person I bought it from never oiled it, just ran it as is). Do I apply the oil on the underside of the filter(side with pleats popping out, non-flat side that faces bottom of air box)? The instructions that came with the bottles aren't too clear... it would make sense to put apply the oil on the underside so that it'll actually catch the particles in the air as they are coming up right? If I apply it to the top side of the filter(faces top of air lid), it would seem to defeat the purpose and fly up in my MAF sensors and clog the whole dang thing right? I am gonna be very careful to apply a light coat of oil...don't want it ending up in the MAF. Thanks for any help in advance!

(Now I'm just waiting for my BMR STB to come in and I'll be a happy man!)

You can also email me at heybog@yahoo.com
Old 01-16-2004, 02:08 AM

Also, is the cotton on the filter supposed to be really white when cleaned? I don't think so right? You see some white on the cotton, but you don't/(can't?) get it really white-clean. I don't know how it's supposed to be look brand new cause this is used.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:16 AM

I think It looks off color because the previous owner never oiled it which is about the same as running without any filter at all. You are correct that you oil the bottom side of the filter where the air enters it. Never oil the top side that faces up when the filter is installed. It's the oil that traps the dirt.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:12 PM

its also the oil and cotton that restrict airflow..

yet another reason to use the factory original.. No need to clean! hehe
Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 AM

Smile

Very easy to remember:

Wash it from the TOP down

Oil it from the BOTTOM up

Apply the oil at the TOP of the pleat on the BOTTOM side of the filter and allow it to soak in for about 20 minuets, with a paper towel below it. DO NOT OVER OIL, go over the pleat one time applying the oil, it spreads out pretty far.

Good luck, there is really not that much to it, it is all tecnique.

SteveC
Old 01-18-2004, 11:23 AM

I used to use a Holly Power Shot Filter. They came pre-oiled.

After cleaning and drying you should oil it from the in-flow side of the filter. Don't get carried away when applying the oil. Allow the oil to absorb into the cotton awhile and then re-oil if color is inconsistent. Again don't get carried away when applying the oil. Allow the oil to completely absorb into the cotton. You don't want to be sucking up oil in your intake.

After placing the filter in your car, take it around the block then pull out the filter to make sure you are not sucking oil into the intake.

The spray oil seems to work the best.

Good luck,

Al
Old 01-19-2004, 02:42 PM

OK, thanks. I think I did it correctly and everything is dry and soaked in and ready to go. I was really careful when applying the oil The squeeze bottle makes it a bit diffcult, but I went for quick and fast light strokes and then let it soak for 45 minutes and then added a little bit to the white spots left behind.

Is the filter then on the top side supposed to be colored all blue too? The bottom on mine is pretty much a light blue from the oil, but only a few of the pleats viewed from the top have a few patches of blue, not the whole thing. I didn't want to over oil the thing since it really does soak in.