LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Oil Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Oil Pressure Switch

Sorry to post about the same issue but I have to do the elimination process lol. Anyone got a pictureto show me where the Oil Pressure Switch is located on a 1998 Camaro 5.7L V8?? All help would be appreciated. Also is it hard to replace? Thanks guys
Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 PM

It's a pain to get to. The oil pressure sending unit is the vertical sensor behind the intake manifold on the drivers side. You can see the bottom of it in this picture: http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE010.jpg Make sure you get one for a '98 if replacing it, the '99 and up have a different connector.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Do I have to remove anything to get to it? I bought a special socket for it to make it easier. Have never replaced one yet so I'm new to it. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Most people remove the intake (you can use the ls1howto LS6 install link if needed). Try unplugging it and see if you can get the socket over it. Good luck, it's really hard to reach.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM

If I have to is there any torque specifications on the bolts? I don't have that tool though. The oil pressure gauge reads "0" and it did it out of nowhere. No ticking of any sort though. Drove it weeks back before this incident and around 50-55 MPH wanted to lose power for a second. Fuel pump? Or do you you think it has to due with the oil pressure? Thanks.Just trying to gather all the information before I go out today and put the switch on ya know?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM

But it IS possible to do it without removing the intake correct?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Loss of power is a different issue, if you actually had 0 oil pressure you would know it right away. I've been successful at removing my oil pressure sending unit twice without removing the intake, it's a pain in the *** but well worth it. I used the special socket that you can buy at any parts store, an inspection mirror will help you out some too especially if you have another person helping you.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM

As far as loss of power what would you think it was? I know it's hard to make a statement without actually driving the car yourself. When I drove it last, right before the oil pressure incident, it was really only losing power/bogging out at around 50 Mph. Sounds weird to me. Hoping it ain't a fuel pump tho. ossibthose are pricey and a pain in the *** to put in. possibly bad gas? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Could be a million things, did it throw a check engine light? If not it's always best to start with the basics, get some fuel treatment, injector cleaner, change the fuel filter and make sure you are using 91+ octane for fuel. I'm also pretty picky with my gas stations, i always use Shell or BP.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Another thing, once you get the oil pressure unit replaced i would take it to Autozone or whatever part store and get it scanned just to see if any codes come up.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM

So ya.....not the problem. Replaced the switch and still no pressure started the car a couple times and let it run for a couple seconds it just idle'd a high for a minute. Second time the idling came down a little. Still no ticking. I take it next stage is the sending unit?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Yeah, don't forget to put teflon tape around the threads when you change out units.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM

I got a scanner and i'm gonna try that now. Although I got no SES light when it happened and still have no SES light on. Will it still throw a code ifthe light isn't on? But if were narrowing it down I guess I would have to assume the sending unit next? Didn't think about the fuel filter idea though so good point. Once I tackle the oil problem I will change the fuel filter. Currently I put premium in it. I got bad gas before and got like a backfire a couple times but never lost power. I really need to tackle this before the Woodward Dream Cruise. Very important Hopefully it's not a huge problem lol. Another thing that was weird was when I shut off the car the gauge went up a little bit then back down.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM

Yeah it doesn't have to throw a check engine light to register a code, you'll be surprised on what pops up on a scanner sometimes Bottom line is, if the gauge is reading 0 psi and the engine runs and sounds fine then it's time to change that sending unit.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 PM

I didnt put teflon tape on it though. Is it gonna hurt anything?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Switch