LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 07:27 AM

new tires

what tires should i get? have original 245zr 50/16's. i am slipping and sliding on take off.

2002 camaro z28
K&N
SLP Lid
Ram Air
Flowmaster
3X3 Fernco
160 Thermostat
Hypertech computer (overide)

13.37 1/4
Old 05-15-2003, 08:51 AM

Arrow

If you are just looking for traction on launch, then some drag radials would probably be the best choice for you. Not very good for every day driving, thoguh...

As an overall tire, I've heard and read a lot of good things about the Kumho 712's. And they are not that expensive, either.

I currently have BFG g-Force KDW's and haven't had any traction problems so far. In daily driving, that is. Haven't been to the track. Very nice tires.

If I wouldn't have gotten the excellent deal on wheel and tires, I would've bought the 712's.

TS
Old 05-15-2003, 08:56 AM

I put Kumho Supra 712's on all 4 corners and they are great, even when wet.

My best 60' time so far is only a 2.1 though. I was able to pull 2.0's with my generic "Defender" tires that came with the car.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:18 AM

I just put a set of BDG g-Force T/A KDWS tires on my car and they're a great tire.

They hold the road perfectly in a fast corner and they barely chirp when you nail it hard.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:22 AM

ive had good luck with michelin pilots, a little on the expensive side. I also like the Kuhmos, had them on the old 99 miata, and everyone says the drag radial are the bomb. I just bought some sumitomo 315/35ZR17s for the back, we'll have to see how those go. I think ill probably have to end up getting the drag radials in a little bit.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Banned

get nittos....

they hook hard
Old 05-15-2003, 12:51 PM

Ill prob end up getting the nittos like above. Ive also heard they last longer than the bf drag radials. I believe about 12,000 miles on the nittos and only 8,000 on the bf's with little differences in traction.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:01 PM

The Kumhos are great tires. I love mine. I've abused them for 13,000 miles and still have decent tread left. I did the same with my BFG tires, and after 13,000 it was almost time to replace them. The Kumhos handle great in dry and wet weather and they are only like $110 per tire from www.tirerack.com.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:57 PM

A good setup is the Kumho 712's up front and Nitto 555R's in the rear. But, be ready to change your Nittos in 12 - 15K miles.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:38 AM

I am sorry, but for the millionth time.. If you have not had high quality tires, please do not endorse inferior tires.

Kumho (aptly named) 712's are worthless.
The tires showed no increase in traction and actually were too slick for my taste. Even after initial break in, I found the tires to offer too much wheel spin off the line and would not handle hard turns as well causing my rear to break loose, often without warning where as the Yoks were very progressive and would be highly predictable.

I am comparing them to:
Pirelli P Zero Asymetrico tires
Yokohama AVS Intermediates (now replaced with ES-100)
Goodyear Eagle GS-C
-I also used Drag Radials-

So far, in bang for the buck...
Yokohama has my vote. Best all around tire for under $100 *tirerack.com

Soon, I will be replaceing the stock Goodyears off my 2002.. They will be replaced with Yokohamas. Its just a far better tire for all around street driving with you occasional slick roads and occasional traffic light race..
Old 05-16-2003, 12:12 PM

Cool

Originally posted by psychocabbage
I am sorry, but for the millionth time.. If you have not had high quality tires, please do not endorse inferior tires.
No need to get your panties in a bunch!

Original poster asked for opinions and people are just giving them based on the info/experiences they've had.

Since you've had bad experiences with the 712's, it's good that you brought it up so people can take them into account, and the other alternatives, too, when considering buying new tires.

Later!

TS
Old 05-17-2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by 95GRNZ
No need to get your panties in a bunch!

Original poster asked for opinions and people are just giving them based on the info/experiences they've had.

Since you've had bad experiences with the 712's, it's good that you brought it up so people can take them into account, and the other alternatives, too, when considering buying new tires.

Later!

TS
Panties werent in a bunch.. just gets annoying when people dont know what a good tire is.. Tires are way up there on the list of things that are important for your car to run correctly. Often people neglect them but last time I checked, at 140mph if my tires decided to fail, I would not be able to do very much at all but hang on.. So given that they are very important, people should do more research and while we dont always have $300 for 1 tire, we should know what would be the best and SAFEST for the money.

Another item people should consider is that the cheaper tires are not meant to last 50,000 miles. But If you consider that a $300 tire will, then figure on your $100 tires lasting 1/3rd of that. so almost 15,000 miles should be your guess but you can possibly get 15K out of them. So, In effect, you will have a NEWER tire more often than had you bought a $300 tire. And I would rather have a newer tire that performs very good than have an exceptional tire that would of started to fade performance wise (and safety wise) after 15-20K miles.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:02 AM

Another item people should consider is that the cheaper tires are not meant to last 50,000 miles. But If you consider that a $300 tire will, then figure on your $100 tires lasting 1/3rd of that. so almost 15,000 miles should be your guess but you can possibly get 15K out of them. So, In effect, you will have a NEWER tire more often than had you bought a $300 tire. And I would rather have a newer tire that performs very good than have an exceptional tire that would of started to fade performance wise (and safety wise) after 15-20K miles.
A tire's price has no impact on its tread life. $100 Khumo isn't going to last 1/3 as long as a $300 Michelin Pilot. Not sure why you'd think that .

The Khumos aren't that bad. They aren't a drag radial, but dry weather traction is ok and wet weather traction is pretty good. I personally don't like them because of their tread pattern's looks.

The GSCs are the second worst tires I've ever owned. I've had them since they were brand new, and wet weather traction is a joke. Give me Nitto drag radials over GSCs anyday.

The worst tires I've ever owned were the Good-for-one-Year eagle gatorbacks. These are basically the stock mustang tires. I picked up a used set that was pretty dry, so that has a factor in the traction.

Another crappy tire is the Falken 502. All around bad.

The best tire I've owned was the Nitto drag radial - Awesome traction.

Lastly, if you are looking for a decent all-around tire, go to Discount tire and pick up a set of Phantom ZRs. They are very similar to a BFG comp TA, but a bit cheaper. I ran them in a 275/40ZR17 and was very pleased with the performance/price of them.

Ryan
Old 05-17-2003, 11:29 AM

Kumho (aptly named) 712's are worthless.
The tires showed no increase in traction and actually were too slick for my taste. Even after initial break in, I found the tires to offer too much wheel spin off the line and would not handle hard turns as well causing my rear to break loose, often without warning where as the Yoks were very progressive and would be highly predictable.

I am comparing them to:
Pirelli P Zero Asymetrico tires
Yokohama AVS Intermediates (now replaced with ES-100)
Goodyear Eagle GS-C
-I also used Drag Radials-

So far, in bang for the buck...
Yokohama has my vote. Best all around tire for under $100 *tirerack.com

Relax dude. I HAVE had high quality tires on my car. Hated them. The tires that i haven't had, i borrowed the wheels off a friend's camaro for a week or so to try them out. The Yokohama's have no holding power on my car. The Pirelli's have the same problem, and they are a noisy tire. I driven extended periods of time on more than half a dozen different kinds of tires for my car. The Kumho's are the best i've driven so far. 13,000 miles of serious abuse on them and they still have almost 50% tread left (note: serious abuse=lots and lots of burnouts) The Kumhos work great!