LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

New Purchase in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM

New Purchase in the UK

I've just bought a Z28 2001 Auto Black Camero. Its done 40,000 miles. and its a European spec. Could anyone answer the following questions for me please as I'm fairly new to owning Cameros although I have had two pontiac transams (95 & 93) and a corvette (86) previously.

Does the anti freeze needs replacing, and if so is there a special way to drain and refill?

If I was to change the back axle oil, do I have to use general motors special additive or put full synthetic gear oil in?

Is it advisable to change the plugs and leads?

The car has traction control and can you change the brake fluid or do you have to go the dealers to do this?

Is it advisable to change the power steering fluid?

Is it advisable to put a lower coolant thermostat in the car as we live in the Uk where the weather can get pretty cold (even in July)!!

I know you can put a bypass coolant relay fan on these and wondered if that was the way to go?

Many thanks

Martin from Blackpool Uk[/LIST]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM

I just changed my plugs and wires.. I am at 95K miles.. If you are not having any misses, you may not need to.. They were rated at 100K. My plugs came out looking fine.. One of my cables was not.

Rear end oil.. I would change with the good stuff.. I use synthetic.. I dont do it often.. I only use additive when it says I need it..If the synthetic has its own built in, I wont add the additive.

If you are in a cooler place, why would you want the car to keep cooler sooner? The air is cool enough there that I dont think you will have any issues..

My car is a 2002 and I have yet to touch the coolant. No issues.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM

CAMARO, no "E"

My stock plugs were missing several of the platinum pucks at 35k miles. I'd pull them and run a set of plugs that doesn't have the pucks, like Bosch. I had several wires that the connections were corroded also at this time. It never hurts to check.

I wouldn't let the antifreeze remain for more than 50k miles eventhough they claim it'll last 150k. Just my personal preference.

You can change the brake fluid. IMO this is a very overlooked and essential part of maintenance.

Powersteering fluid, I changed around 50K.

I'd also go ahead and change the rear differential fluid and trans fluid too.

Enjoy your LS1 f-body. I was wishing I had mine while I was in Germany/Switzerland. I had to laugh one morning. We went out walking in Frankfurt and this old guy was checking out a bone stock 6 cyl Firebird. I guess he had never seen one. It wouldn't get a second glance here.