LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

missed shift 3-4 ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:14 AM

missed shift 3-4 ????

well i was heading down the track and i was speed shifting of coarse. and i missed forth and hit secound HARD i mean after it reved down and i hit the brake it staled. but it started right up i let it sit in tpits for a bit and it still mad the sound so i just drove it home.

Ok to the point it doesnt idle any diferent runs fine and no los in power but it ticks like a bit CH. what should i do?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:35 AM

Any SES light? Is it throwing any codes ?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:59 AM

check pushrods, if they are ****ed up you might of done the same to your valves. not a fun job, had to do it.
if it is valves i wouldn't recommend buy stock ones from gm. i did that and got raped up the ***. just buy some manley valves and some better springs. might as well do the exhaust valves as well. get some hardened pushrods, and if you feel like spending more money might as well get some new retainers, etc and just do everything to the heads so they ran rev higher. i wish i would have done that. its not a hard job, just time consoming to do after work and stuff. did it in my garage.
btw i did valves because my car didn't idle right, if yours idles right i wouldn't bother doing it this time, but down the road you will probably want to.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:58 AM

If you only hear ticking, chances are it is just your pushrods. For your sake, I hope it is.

If the car is running rough, stubling, rough idle, rough eveyrwhere in low rpms, then you've bent some valves.

Take Mr Muff's advice, if you plan on any other future mods (cam, heads) or something like that, go ahead and swap in some new retainers while you are riht there. This is of course, if you're going to do the work yourself.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:02 AM

I did the same thing a few years ago when the car was mostly stock. I was racing a Saleen Mustang and 3-2 shifted twice in a row before I bent all my pushrods and 2 valves. The SES light came on and I limped it home. Luckily it was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it free of charge Now that I have a new clutch and the drill mod and I hold my hand on the shifter a bit different for the 3-4 shift I nail it every time with no problems.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 PM

Well i took it to the GM dealer down the road from me cause i got the warrenty on it still. but i checked it out at school and my instructer said it sounds like a flatend lifter.

if they fix the lifters are they going to replace them all or just the one?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:00 PM

Dont get hardened pushrods, they are cheep insurance. If you **** up and something has to break, pushrods are the best place. They are cheep, and easy to replace(compared to the alternatives anyways).
Old 07-17-2003, 05:06 PM

I second the opinion on the lifter. If it runs fine, but ticks anyway, chances are you have a collapsed lifter. I had this happen on a different vehicle before while fooling around with homemade propane injection. The noise was incredibly loud originally. I let it sit for a couple of hours, let it cool down, and fired it up. The noise was still there but nowhere near as loud as earlier. Since my brother needed the vehicle right then, he took it out anyway but the noise was completely gone by the time he came back home a couple of hours later. I believe an afterfire caused by excess propane collapsed the lifter but it gradually regained hydraulic pressure and the ticking noise dissipated.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:12 PM

Hey Jim seen ya at the track last night, Sorry about your car its a sharp 1. Hope to meet you out there again.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:16 PM

yeah wehn i get this fixed i am going right back to the track. and maybe ill take it easy for a bit. till i can hit the 4th gear better.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 AM

I love my local GM dealer. i took it in on thursday morning so that they could look at it. and then they called me friday morning to tell me they were gonna start the work. so i fugured it would take a few days. NOPE i was done at 2:00 PM on friday.

they replaced 3 bent pushrods and a valve for some reason.

ride on GM
JIM
Old 07-19-2003, 02:52 PM

Yep, Sunrise Chevy is a great dealer to work with when it comes to service. I only take my car there.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:10 PM

i did the same thing had the same noise took to dealer they replaced all the lifters still had the noise.

fed up i pulled the valve covers and pushrods roled them on glass found them warped just tweek alittle.
so i went head and replaced them all now all noise {ticking} gone.

goodluck
Old 07-21-2003, 10:50 PM

they took off your heads and gave it a valve job, and put it all back together again in less than a day? did they do any springs?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:50 PM

That's a crankin' GM mechanic that can do a valve job in a day. Even if he had a new assembled head waiting to go back on, that's still humpin'. I dunno though, maybe...

A buddy of mine works at a dealership as a mechanic. Often times a mechanic will bill for something like that, and really only do the push rods. At a busy dealership, no one would ever even notice he didn't do a vavle job on an LS1. Its especially bad with warranty work because GM pays the mechanic, not the vehicle owner. Ie, a person would be FAR more likely than GM to notice a bill for a valve job, when the car was only down for 5-6 hours.

Watch out for rear ends too. My freind has seen several cars leave the dealership billed for ring and pinion swaps, and all they got was a fluid change. Check the keepers on the wheel studs. Kinda sad/frustrating huh.

Quick Reply: missed shift 3-4 ????