LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

!MAF Porting HP

Old 12-25-2002, 04:27 AM

!MAF Porting HP

Well I just completed this modification, took me a good hour to perform, i basically just took my time. I noticed a good HP gain when WOT and over 20 MPH. Just curious, how much horsepower does this mod give you?
Old 12-25-2002, 10:51 AM

Only about 1hp after the computer learns that the car is running rich from the modification of a finely tuned electoric device. Right now the car feels faster because it's running lean because it's getting more air than it knows. It'll figure it out soon and start to add more fuel to even it out.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:20 PM

lol thanks for the correction, so i just basically wasted an hour of my life for one horsepower?
Old 12-25-2002, 09:13 PM

Actually I would disagree with zdawg, I bought soem ported maf ends and with the addition of those, a lid and a pulley I dropped 4 tenths at the track. When I dynoed my car, it also had a very lean air/fuel mixture. I don't think the computer does learn itself back to stock that well, if it did, that would gain you even more hp. In the end, I would get your car dynoed to figure out your air fuel mixture, to make sure it's ok, and I also think the ported maf will add around 5-7 hp, if the car is running alright. If you start to hear pinging in the engine, then it's time to put the stock maf back in.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Geeterman
Actually I would disagree with zdawg, I bought soem ported maf ends and with the addition of those, a lid and a pulley I dropped 4 tenths at the track. When I dynoed my car, it also had a very lean air/fuel mixture. I don't think the computer does learn itself back to stock that well, if it did, that would gain you even more hp. In the end, I would get your car dynoed to figure out your air fuel mixture, to make sure it's ok, and I also think the ported maf will add around 5-7 hp, if the car is running alright. If you start to hear pinging in the engine, then it's time to put the stock maf back in.

maybe u drive your car better now.....theres other factors u have to consider..maybe track was better preppared
Old 12-26-2002, 06:38 PM

No, it has nothing to do with how i drive my car because the mph went up by 4 mph. When I got the 12.9 it was actually a crappy 2.17 60 foot time and I have pullen much better times than that before all the mods. In other words, the car gained a lot more power with the lid, pulley and maf ends, so I'm willing to bet they added a decent amount of power. It's also an A4, so it's pretty consistant driving
Old 12-26-2002, 07:03 PM

That 4 tenths could have been picked up just from the lid and pulley, ****, I picked up between 2-3 tenths just on a lid and filter!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:12 PM
Banned

thats what i was trying to say.....lid does a lot and so do those pulleys
Old 12-26-2002, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I also gained about 2-3 mph along with that 2-3 tenths on just the lid and filter, and that was all with a slipping stock piece of crap clutch!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Banned

ya ihad stock p o s clutch and stock p o s tires......that sucked a$$.....i got 13.3 but didnt go with lid and pulleys and stuf to see the difference....

i wish i had tho
Old 12-26-2002, 10:38 PM

Would the HPP+ help to eliminate any "reprogramming???
Old 12-27-2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
ya ihad stock p o s clutch and stock p o s tires......that sucked a$$.....i got 13.3 but didnt go with lid and pulleys and stuf to see the difference....

i wish i had tho
oh yeah, that's what i forgot to mention, i was on the stock p o s tires too!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:49 AM

First ... the lid and the pulley would easily account for the 4 tenths. Second you say the car is lean on the dyno, what is the AF/R and was the dyno before or after the Predator?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:52 PM

Yeah, it was very lean. Around 15:1 at 4000 rpms and about 14.5:1 at 6000 rpms, I would say that's really lean. This was before the predator. After I installed the predator it went down to 13:1 at 6000 rpms.....
Old 12-27-2002, 06:54 PM

In other words fellas, I'm not saying that a ported maf is going to make a gigantic difference, but I do think it makes a noticable difference, even if only a slight one. They work for some cars, for others they don't. It's a pretty cheap mod to experiment with...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !MAF Porting HP