CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   !MAF Porting HP (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/maf-porting-hp-61858/)

SpecForceZ28 12-25-2002 04:27 AM

!MAF Porting HP

Well I just completed this modification, took me a good hour to perform, i basically just took my time. I noticed a good HP gain when WOT and over 20 MPH. Just curious, how much horsepower does this mod give you?

Zdawg 12-25-2002 10:51 AM

Only about 1hp after the computer learns that the car is running rich from the modification of a finely tuned electoric device. Right now the car feels faster because it's running lean because it's getting more air than it knows. It'll figure it out soon and start to add more fuel to even it out.

SpecForceZ28 12-25-2002 08:20 PM

lol thanks for the correction, so i just basically wasted an hour of my life for one horsepower?

Geeterman 12-25-2002 09:13 PM

Actually I would disagree with zdawg, I bought soem ported maf ends and with the addition of those, a lid and a pulley I dropped 4 tenths at the track. When I dynoed my car, it also had a very lean air/fuel mixture. I don't think the computer does learn itself back to stock that well, if it did, that would gain you even more hp. In the end, I would get your car dynoed to figure out your air fuel mixture, to make sure it's ok, and I also think the ported maf will add around 5-7 hp, if the car is running alright. If you start to hear pinging in the engine, then it's time to put the stock maf back in.

stik6shift98 12-26-2002 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Geeterman
Actually I would disagree with zdawg, I bought soem ported maf ends and with the addition of those, a lid and a pulley I dropped 4 tenths at the track. When I dynoed my car, it also had a very lean air/fuel mixture. I don't think the computer does learn itself back to stock that well, if it did, that would gain you even more hp. In the end, I would get your car dynoed to figure out your air fuel mixture, to make sure it's ok, and I also think the ported maf will add around 5-7 hp, if the car is running alright. If you start to hear pinging in the engine, then it's time to put the stock maf back in.

maybe u drive your car better now.....theres other factors u have to consider..maybe track was better preppared

Geeterman 12-26-2002 06:38 PM

No, it has nothing to do with how i drive my car because the mph went up by 4 mph. When I got the 12.9 it was actually a crappy 2.17 60 foot time and I have pullen much better times than that before all the mods. In other words, the car gained a lot more power with the lid, pulley and maf ends, so I'm willing to bet they added a decent amount of power. It's also an A4, so it's pretty consistant driving :p

Loudmouth LS1 12-26-2002 07:03 PM

That 4 tenths could have been picked up just from the lid and pulley, ****, I picked up between 2-3 tenths just on a lid and filter!

stik6shift98 12-26-2002 07:12 PM

thats what i was trying to say.....lid does a lot and so do those pulleys

Loudmouth LS1 12-26-2002 07:14 PM

Yeah, I also gained about 2-3 mph along with that 2-3 tenths on just the lid and filter, and that was all with a slipping stock piece of crap clutch!

stik6shift98 12-26-2002 07:34 PM

ya ihad stock p o s clutch and stock p o s tires......that sucked a$$.....i got 13.3 but didnt go with lid and pulleys and stuf to see the difference....

i wish i had tho

gearslammer 12-26-2002 10:38 PM

Would the HPP+ help to eliminate any "reprogramming???

Loudmouth LS1 12-27-2002 11:24 AM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
ya ihad stock p o s clutch and stock p o s tires......that sucked a$$.....i got 13.3 but didnt go with lid and pulleys and stuf to see the difference....

i wish i had tho

oh yeah, that's what i forgot to mention, i was on the stock p o s tires too!

V6toZ28 12-27-2002 11:49 AM

First ... the lid and the pulley would easily account for the 4 tenths. Second you say the car is lean on the dyno, what is the AF/R and was the dyno before or after the Predator?

Geeterman 12-27-2002 06:52 PM

Yeah, it was very lean. Around 15:1 at 4000 rpms and about 14.5:1 at 6000 rpms, I would say that's really lean. This was before the predator. After I installed the predator it went down to 13:1 at 6000 rpms.....