LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

mac headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 AM

mac headers

I was looking for header systems with y-pipes i came across the mac true fit 1-3/4 headers and the 2-1/2" y-pipe. I did a search and could barely find any info. on this. has any used this or can any one help me out with any info. How does this mac system compare to the SLP LT (other than being 500$ cheaper) and the jet hot long tube headers with orY pipe.

thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Re: mac headers

I have the macs. I like them but if i had put the headers on the car i would go with long tube headers. They fit nicely and are all around good headers. From what i have seen they will make within a couple horsepower of long tubes. If you are going to lower your car you might like them even more then long tubes. They definitely have better ground clearance then longtubes would.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:13 PM

I agree. For a purpose built race car, for a max effort car, or for the demanding LS1 enthusiast, a set of long tubes can be a gread addition, but the Macs are an attractive alternative.

You'll give up a little bottom-end torque, but power will be within a few hp of long tubes, and you won't have to worry about raking off a header flange on a speedbump which makes me happy.

I have the Macs on my car and I'm happy with them. I agree completely with the above post.

These used to be the most econimical header choice in the early days of the LS1, and they experienced more popularity then.

Ben
Old 08-12-2005, 09:42 PM

Now I was told by a dealer that being lowered, I only had to worry about the y pipe, lt or mid's. I'm lowered 1.5" now.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 AM

Nah you will also have to worry about the collector flanges with longtubes. With Mac's all you have to worry about is the ypipe. Macs are better for lowered cars all the way around. No im no saying that you cant run LTs but it would be easier to clear bumps and stuff with Macs.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:13 AM

I have a set of mac's with an ory on my car, as far as clearance theyre great. I have had no problems with speed bumps or like we have in houston those big nasty road humps. My car isnt lowered but judging from my clearance currently you still should have a problem(basically what everyone else has been saying). I got mine used off of ebay for 350 shipped. I was going to go with pacesetter but i couldnt resist saving a little cash and only loosing a couple lb/ft. I dunno how well they stack against long tube headers on a more modified setup such as heads/cam combo but i will say i definitely noticed a difference on mine
Old 08-13-2005, 06:53 PM

From what I've heard they are great headers but the cats suck far as flow and make room under the car much worse, so stay away from the cated pipes. They will rust unless they are ceramic coated so keep that in mind with that coating they come with. I wanted the cheapest set of headers and went with the flowtechs, I would get longtubes over the mids anyday unless you are going to go lowered. I had cats and longtubes and no problems with bumps except those speed ones which would mildly scrape if I went to fast over them, and even if I went fast caused no damage. Those flowtechs I got for 230 and Y for 100 from Tbyrne, so if you want the best bang for buck they are the way to go. Just check the flanges for flatness when they arrive, so you know they won't leak. I had to send one back, and they got me a new one very quickly without arguing about shipping charges or complaints.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:42 PM

My macs and Y are over 2 years old and the car is driven daily and they are NOT coated and they look very good. Any little bit of rust is where a bolt head or wrench scraped, so if they were coated they would probably chip and rust in that area anyway.

Yes, the Mac cats suck. But seeing how I'd rather not have the environazis getting more contol around here, I'm doing my little part and running catco (aka magnaflow) cats in the Mac ORY. The car is lowered 1.4" and the left cat is where it likes to scrape.

The reason I have Macs over LT's is because I found a good deal on a used set.