LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

lsx intake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:33 PM

lsx intake question

thought about geting the ls6 intake first but now considering saving my pennies and going for the FAST 90mm setup. i been searching for info pertaining to the "plates" in the lsx intake. something about removable plates. nobody locally shop wise knows anything about that, and i cant get through to the manufactorer. forget product descriptions. anyone have a clue what they are for? im guessing more plates=less flow.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Re: lsx intake question

I don't know of any plates in the design. There are 3 separate pieces (I believe) that make up the composite intake that can be disassembled unlike the LS6 intake. Are you sure you want to spend $1000 for 10 more hp? All I've read, people seem to say they only gained 10-15hp tops going to the LSX from an LS6 (which was also accompanied by a tune). A ported tb and LS6 intake could get you most of the gains for less than $500. Either way, you'll probably need a new tune. G/L in finding what you're looking for.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:00 PM

no i dont want to put out that money. id rather the setup you had mentioned. im not an expert in this at all, so i always go by what im told or with the majority. i was told ls6 is fine for now, but with my h/c setup if i add a s/c then 90mm is almost mandatory. is this offbase? if you think the aluminum ls6 intake (so it can be ported) is sufficiant, i will go that route. as far as the tb, i hear some people say dont go the ported route because they always screw up the blade stop. any thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:06 PM

I haven't heard much about forced induction on the LSX setup. Might want to check and see what kind of manifold pressures it can handle. Yes, if you're going to be pushing that much air through the motor, I would guess that kind of a setup would be more beneficial. But, it's a total guess. From what I've read though, the people that benefit from that intake the most have big cubes (396, 408, 427, etc.). Maybe someone else will chime in that has a little more hear-say than I do.

As for the ported tb, you could do it yourself with a spare tb bought off of eBay or the sale section for $60 if you're worried about it not working right. Check www.installuniversity.com. They may have a how-to.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-13-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 PM

you probably wouldn't gain enough from the LSx intake with your setup to to warrent the added $$.

there were tests done that put the intakes on 420hp crate motors. they were reved up to 6400rpms i beleive (bumped the stock limiter). the LSx only showed 1hp or so over the LS6 intake at those levels.

now if you were running a big cube setup, or a SC/TC...they would be more beneficial to have the LSx.

BUT....is that cam you're running even SC compatable? i mean you can't just take a big h/c setup and run boost through it.
call TSP and see what they say.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:59 PM

i just dont feel like spending the money twice. i know the ls6 manifold is all i need, but dont want to have to buy the lsx down the road if/when i see any fi. teke184; i really, really hope the cam is fi compatable. i specified my long term goals with jason and brian from tsp and thats what they gave me. i can live without fi, and go the nos route. i guess that will be the deciding factor. if the cam is good for fi, i might go with lsx, otherwise its ls6. thanx guys.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Retired

I made the following numbers in my sig with a stock LS6 intake, no underdrive pulley, and a stock TB through the Vette drivetrain

Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 PM

found a used ls6 intake for $250, im probably going with that. so....back to the tb, better to buy a used one like SSpdDmon said and do it myself or just put out the scratch for one already done?