LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Ls series motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 AM

Ls series motors

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on all the different LS motors. I know about the LS1 and 2 and so on, but what about the other truck ones, like I've read about L33 and LQ4 and 9. Are there more and can someone list all the motors that are LS related. Are the parts on these motors interchangeable also, like heads, intake, and cams? I tried searching and read one of the stickys, but it really didn't answer my question.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Re: Ls series motors

Well I just went and read up on ls engines on Wikipedia and now I just confused myself even more, there are a lot of motors in the ls family. Maybe it would be a better question to ask is what specific truck engines are equal to or similar to a specific ls1, or any ls motor.
I read about people picking up a L series truck motor to do a swap. Do they pick the truck motors because they are cheaper but the same thing as say an ls1?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM

The truck motors are mostly iron blocks which will make them weigh closer to an LT1 than an aluminum block LS1.
The iron blocks are more durable and can support more overbore. Frankly a lot of LS1 cars get truck blocks when the LS1 fails or when the owner is looking to make BIG power.

Why don't you tell us what you are looking to accomplish?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Wikipedia has a pretty good list of all of them:
GM LS engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The page is organized by bore size, which is a pretty good rule of thumb for which heads will work with which blocks.

I am pretty sure that any LS* cam will work in any LS* motor, which is not to say they'd all be appropriate. I want to say that LS7, LS9 and LSX might have larger cam bores to accommodate higher lift. I believe that most other LS motors can have their cam bores opened up to accommodate those cams.

There are a couple different intake port designs on the various types of heads: LS1 and LS6 are "cathedral" style (and I think LS2 as well, not sure). Most of the newer ones (gen4) are square. You wouldn't want to mismatch the port style between your heads and your intake.

For the most part, all LS blocks have the same bolt patterns for heads, intakes, oil pans, bellhousings, etc. Notable exception: the LS7 and LS9 blocks have larger head bolt holes for more clamping force. The LSX block has the same larger holes, and also adds an additional hole per cylinder. I don't think there's a factory head with a corresponding additional hole, but if there is, it's GMPP only, not a production part.

That should be enough to get you started.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Not trying to accomplish anything yet, shoot my heads and intake for my lt1 are still at AI. I haven't even finished my 97Z yet. But I do like the 3rd gens, and I was daydreaming about picking one up for cheap (someday) and doing an ls swap. Then I realized I don't know anything about ls motors cause the 4 years I've been on this site I've been reading about lt's. I have found out that the ls6 heads are the desireable ones though. So for example, iron truck block with ls6 heads, then a custom cam?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM

The AI ported 243 LS6 castings are pretty wicked. On LS1 tech there was a guy who swapped from PI CNC'd 11degree heads to the AI ported 243s and gained power everywhere.

I have a 5.3L truck and an ich to play with it so I have been doing some reading. I am debating a 6.0l swap as those are cheap and plentiful. Though some folks are telling me just getting a tune and getting rid of the torque management will wake the truck up. My 05 Sierra Crewcab is drive-by-wire, torque management makes the throttle open slowly on hard input like an honest 3 seconds to completely open the blades when you mat the pedal. I think a warmed up 6.0l and tuning could make it a lot more fun to drive.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Well, I just went to 3rdgen and they actually have a sticky on ls swaps. Seems like a bit of work, dont know if it would be worth it. I did find a complete ls1 longblock with wiring harness on Craigslist for $1500. Just need something to put it in!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ascastil
Well, I just went to 3rdgen and they actually have a sticky on ls swaps. Seems like a bit of work, dont know if it would be worth it. I did find a complete ls1 longblock with wiring harness on Craigslist for $1500. Just need something to put it in!
That seems pretty expensive. My friend bought a 98 T/A with a blown engine and we found an LQ4 dirt cheap to swap it in. If I were you I'd find a used LQ9 for a lot cheaper than that and swap it in to something you can find those engines for $5-700 and maybe even cheaper.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Did not know that. Hmmm......
Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 PM

The only snag I see with a truck engine for this would be accessories/intake. Truck accessories and intake are pretty tall. I thought accessory brackets and such were pretty pricey at least they were when we looked at putting an LS in a friend's first gen.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The only snag I see with a truck engine for this would be accessories/intake. Truck accessories and intake are pretty tall. I thought accessory brackets and such were pretty pricey at least they were when we looked at putting an LS in a friend's first gen.
I picked up a complete vette accessory setup for my 6.0 for under $200.......used is your friend
Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM

If I saw a set that cheap I would buy it to flip and flipping parts is NOT the sort of thing I do.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If I saw a set that cheap I would buy it to flip and flipping parts is NOT the sort of thing I do.
Just need to keep your eyes open, and know people
Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by raulz28
That seems pretty expensive. My friend bought a 98 T/A with a blown engine and we found an LQ4 dirt cheap to swap it in. If I were you I'd find a used LQ9 for a lot cheaper than that and swap it in to something you can find those engines for $5-700 and maybe even cheaper.
$1500 is about what I'd expect to pay for a used LS1; $500-700 is about what I'd expect to pay for a used LQ9. Aluminum is expensive, but it also saves you ~100 pounds off the front end.

Having said all that, probably the best heads in the LS world are the L92 heads, which are used on the L92 motor (6.2L from the 2007+ full-size trucks), LS3, LSA, and LS9. LSA and LS9 versions use a special casting technique that make them stronger (for boost) but the casting itself is the same. Last I checked, you could buy these brand new, fully assembled for ~$800/pair from any GM parts counter (or a dealer like Scoggin Dickey).

The L92 heads will not work on an LS1 or LS6 -- you need something with at least a 4.000" bore.

(worth noting: the LS7 heads are also great, but quite a bit more expensive and require a 4.125" bore).

So, depending on your budget, power desires, and willingness/ability to build a motor yourself, you have a lot of choices.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM

The L92s are a benchracers favorite, that doesn't make them the best.

Quick Reply: Ls series motors