LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

lower control arms vs. adjustable lower control arms- what is difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 07:13 AM

lower control arms vs. adjustable lower control arms- what is difference?

can anyone answer for me what the differnce is between lower control arms vs. adjustable lower control arms? i was thinking of purchasing some to help with my wheel hop but i dont' know what the difference is?

the lower is $146 and the adjustable is $170

thanks for the help
Old 07-10-2003, 09:17 AM

Adjustable LCA's allow you to have an alignment shop do a thrust angle alignment, which makes the rear wheels in line perfectly with the front. Most cars are off a little bit. Mine was.

There is more than one type of adjustable LCA as well. Some of the lower end LCA’s have a threaded adjustment in the middle of the arm. That is where the most stress is, and that just seems too weak to me. Next, there are poly/rod end LCA's. These are great for street/light drag cars. Just be sure to lube the poly end every few months. Next are dual rod end LCA's. The good news is there is absolutely no bind and they are easier to adjust (not that you care much if a shop is doing it), and the ride is a little "sharper" as there is no bushing; just metal on metal. These are best for serious cars, or anyone interested in handling (poly can bind up and cause problems). At the top of the heap IMO are aluminum double rod end LCA's. I have the LG ones and could not be happier with their performance, but I wish they had a flat for a wrench on the body so they could be locked while tightening the lock buts.. Remember, if you go with rod ends, be sure to buy good ones like QA1. Cheap ones will rattle and make noise.