LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

low oil light

Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 179
low oil light

low oil light is on in my 98 ls1, but has plenty of oil, checked, it before i started and after, just came on , wasnt on the previous day. engine is brand new as well, any reason why, anything to be concered about
hot936spd is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Dave89IROC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Melvindale, MI, US
Posts: 4,679
Originally Posted by hot936spd View Post
low oil light is on in my 98 ls1, but has plenty of oil, checked, it before i started and after, just came on , wasnt on the previous day. engine is brand new as well, any reason why, anything to be concered about
If is fill of oil, then it is likely a bad level switch, its in the oil pan, it could of course be wiring, etc., but most likely the switch

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Dave89IROC is offline  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
  #3  
Registered User
 
OutlawPerforman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: san antonio Texas
Posts: 75
Re: low oil light

I had this exact problem, and it was suggested to me to change my oil filter to a K&N, I didnt believe it would work but I was desperate to fix it so I changed the oil and put the k&n and it fixed the problem.

This may just have been luck for me or something else, just thought I would share and hope it works for you brother
OutlawPerforman is offline  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 1998
Location: Charlotte,MI USA
Posts: 6,250
Re: low oil light

Originally Posted by OutlawPerforman View Post
I had this exact problem, and it was suggested to me to change my oil filter to a K&N, I didnt believe it would work but I was desperate to fix it so I changed the oil and put the k&n and it fixed the problem.

This may just have been luck for me or something else, just thought I would share and hope it works for you brother
The low oil level light is driven by a sensor in the right side of the pan and has nothing to do with the oil fiter. More likely that removing the oil and filling it back up corrected the minor fault with the sensor.
AL SS590 M6 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
BrandonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 12
Re: low oil light

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6 View Post
The low oil level light is driven by a sensor in the right side of the pan and has nothing to do with the oil fiter. More likely that removing the oil and filling it back up corrected the minor fault with the sensor.
Go underneath the car and take a look at this sensor, My 02 B4C has the same problem and the reason is the wire to the sensor hardened and snapped off
so I'm letting it be since I check my oil ever 2 or 3 days (oil pan gasket leak) and I plan on swapping my ls1 out, so I'll just wait until then to fix it
BrandonM is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
transam_388
LT1 Based Engine Tech
9
03-15-2015 11:53 AM
PFYC
Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales
0
01-23-2015 01:13 PM
NorthPoleDev
General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
3
12-31-2014 03:20 PM
siguy
Parts For Sale
3
11-27-2014 10:07 AM
chevroletfreak
LT1 Based Engine Tech
202
07-04-2005 05:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low oil light


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.