LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Loudmouth Question??? BAD Rasp!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 09:42 PM

Angry Loudmouth Question??? BAD Rasp!

I have a 2002 SS with a loudmouth exhaust on it (which was installed about 4 months ago). I do not drive the car that often but I think the resanator has already gone bad.. or is that even possible. For the last couple of days I have been hearing this really bad raspy noise coming from my exhaust (when I rev it up to anything above 25K and then it comes back down to idle... and the resanator is the only thing I can think of. The only other power adder on my car is a TSP air lid.. other wise than that all I have done is the suspension. Has anyone else ever had this problem?? I also had a Loudmouth system on my 96 for over a year and never had this problem... that is why I am wondering if I got a lemmon system....

I have the bullet muffler from dynomax in my garage still brand new which I was thinking of installing to get rid of this noise but I like how loud the car is now.. has anyone else here done this conversion and if so how much quieter does it turn out to be. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Scott
Old 02-20-2004, 09:59 PM

Re: Loudmouth Question??? BAD Rasp!

Originally posted by SilvercamZ28
I have a 2002 SS with a loudmouth exhaust on it (which was installed about 4 months ago). I do not drive the car that often but I think the resanator has already gone bad.. or is that even possible. For the last couple of days I have been hearing this really bad raspy noise coming from my exhaust (when I rev it up to anything above 25K and then it comes back down to idle... and the resanator is the only thing I can think of. The only other power adder on my car is a TSP air lid.. other wise than that all I have done is the suspension. Has anyone else ever had this problem?? I also had a Loudmouth system on my 96 for over a year and never had this problem... that is why I am wondering if I got a lemmon system....

I have the bullet muffler from dynomax in my garage still brand new which I was thinking of installing to get rid of this noise but I like how loud the car is now.. has anyone else here done this conversion and if so how much quieter does it turn out to be. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Scott
dam*, revvin to 25k?
haha, just playing with ya, it's 2.5 k= 2500 rpms
from what i've heard (take it as you will because i surf the lt1 boards moreso than ls1) is that the bullet is basically the same thing
it sort of mellows it a little but it is still loud because it's straight through
and i'm sure most do put it on to get rid of the raspiness
Old 02-21-2004, 12:12 AM

If you have had the loudmouth system on your car for four months and the raspy noise has just started then your problem is not the system itself. The loudmouth has no restrictions built into it. The resonator is completely hollow and has nothing in it that could go bad. I suspect you may have a heat shield or something vibrating against the exhaust system which is responsible for the change in your exhaust sound.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:11 AM

Lightbulb

If it is indeed the exhaust that's making the noise then I would definitely reccommend the bullet. Definitely mellows rasp but the overall sound volume will remain.
Worked for me.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:29 AM

Thanks for all of the advice.. I think I will probably go ahead and change out the muffler and see what hapens. Thanks again!