LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Longtube exhaust note....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:29 AM

Longtube exhaust note....

I'm curious for opinions on how these LS1s sound with longtubes without cats. Does it sound too raspy?

The reason I'm asking this is because I purchased Pacesetter longtubes with race y-pipe, but haven't installed them yet. I was just wondering if I would probably need to install like a bullet muffler in the y-pipe to cut down on rasp?
Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 AM

Re: Longtube exhaust note....

Originally Posted by rally2247
I'm curious for opinions on how these LS1s sound with longtubes without cats. Does it sound too raspy?

The reason I'm asking this is because I purchased Pacesetter longtubes with race y-pipe, but haven't installed them yet. I was just wondering if I would probably need to install like a bullet muffler in the y-pipe to cut down on rasp?
I have Pacesetter LT's and Borla catback with no cats. I don't think it sounds raspy. I think it sounds pretty good. I didn't use their y pipe though, I had one custom made. Much cheaper and looks like it flows MUCH better. I had bought a Mac y-pipe w/ cats, but it wouldn't mate up to the LT's, so they fabbed one up for me and it looks better than the one I bought!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:51 AM

The level of rasp and volume will depend on your catback. Jet-Hot LT's/ORY/Loudmouth was loud (I liked it), but very raspy (I hated it).
Old 08-11-2004, 10:00 AM

i iinstalled the flowtechs with a bullet behind the Ypipe, and a magnaflow muffler.
that muffler is very free flowing and hence had some rasp above 4K rpms. but at normal "around town" levels it was a very nice note. i think the bullet helped with that alot.

right now i have the bullet in place and the muffler gone (lost a tip and decided to pull the whole muffler). so now the pipe just ends up under the trunk. there is a VERY strong aggressive tone around town, and it really starts to ROAR above 2500rpms. it has quite a bit of rasp as you get higher.

i would say for the small amount of $$ the bullet is, and that it doesn't hurt performance (just cuts some ground clearance maybe) that it is a wise investment if you are worried about too much noise.

i'm throwing around doing a bit bigger race muffler, like the borla XR1 or something since i like the look and sound (mostly) of the quasi-loudmouth i am running.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll see how the longtubes sound with a straight y-pipe. If I find it annoying, I'll just purchase a bullet muffler to stick in the mid-pipe section..
Old 08-11-2004, 07:18 PM

I did LTs/ORY/Flowmaster single in/dual out and I love the sound!

It has a little bit of rasp when I lay the pedal down on the floor and let off abruptly (above 4K rpms) but I just compensate by adding a little fuel to the mix (dont let off the pedal so fast) and its not a problem

If I could do anything over again I would have added a bullet after the Y pipe and gone with a TAD louder muffler...not much

Im thinking of getting a hooker muffler if I can...then see how that works

The rasp does suck but it isnt NEAR as bad as most...Im just insanely picky.

On the upside....it sound mean as hell when cruising and when I haul *** it goes from quiet, to loud as hell(in a good way though)

The LTs/ORY make it sound real deep and mellow under part throttle...but mean under WOT

I say go with it I have had many people compliment the way my car sounds....it sounds almost exotic if I drive it right
Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 PM

www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com
www.ls1sounds.com

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY www.ls1sounds.com
Old 08-11-2004, 09:28 PM

must resist urge.....can't........do it....

anyone have a sound clip????

Old 08-11-2004, 11:55 PM

If all the routing, bends and so on are the same then the change in "note" is going to be dependent on the muffler design.

-Mindgame
Old 08-12-2004, 03:36 AM

U should be fine i would say, i have FLP's ORY and a GMMG, it does sound raspy but its not bad, It still sounds nice IMO. I absolutely love the sound of it. Since u already have the headers and Y, just wait till u install it and if u like the sound then ur good to go. And the drone isn't bad w/ the GMMG compared to other exhausts.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:36 AM

I know that website. But, since most of the videos there are compressed to smaller file size, a lot of the video and sound quality aren't the same like in real life. So, I don't tend to use that site because of that.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 AM

I have FLP LTs with the ORY, and a Hooker catback. Sounds awesome. Not raspy at all. The hooker is a little quiet with stock exhaust manifolds, but really wakes up with long tubes...
good luck...
Old 08-12-2004, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
You'll want to use a real muffler. No straight pipes or Loudmouths. It just sounds....bad.
Then I should be ok with my Magnaflow.......right?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:27 PM

go with the magnaflow, but i would buy a bullet anyway.

i had that setup installed on my car for quite a while...sounds amazing.

the bullet tones down some more of the high rpm rasp. the MF is over 50% straight pipe...so it can get a touch raspy up high.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
go with the magnaflow, but i would buy a bullet anyway.

i had that setup installed on my car for quite a while...sounds amazing.

the bullet tones down some more of the high rpm rasp. the MF is over 50% straight pipe...so it can get a touch raspy up high.
Well, I already have a Magnaflow cat back installed. But, I'll probably stick a bullet in there if I get way too annoyed with the drone.

Quick Reply: Longtube exhaust note....