LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Lid and catback exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 06:27 PM

Question Lid and catback exhaust

How much horsepower does an aftermarket lid and SLP loudmouth exhaust add?
Old 09-29-2002, 08:00 PM

15 to 20 RWHP for both, if your lucky.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure what kind of power they gave me since I didn't dyno my car stock, but I dynoed it yesterday and came up with 312.1 rwhp/322.6 rwtq with just an SLP lid and a LM. Btw, my car is an a4.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:09 PM

after i get me some drag radials I will get a lid and do a before and after run on the dyno to see what I get with just the lid.

I have dynoed my car stock, so the only mod I have so far is the use of Mobil 1. The only initial improvement I hope to see is the effect of the cooler weather when I get my lid.

Tires then lid.. sure it sounds weird, but I dont cruise around looking for races. I only run at the track so why would I add HP before I can get any traction?!? Cause so far, I have no traction if I try to launch at anything above 1600..
Old 09-29-2002, 09:42 PM

Thumbs up

You'll get 30, maybe more.
98-99s are know for about 280 rwhp, I have only a lid (with Fram) and Dynomouth and pulled 318 rwhp. That's as much as 38 hp gain.
Others doing the Dynomouth are pulling about the same gains, so it is very consistent.
The reason I am comparing the Dynomouth/Lid combo to the Loudmouth/Lid combo is because they are basicly the same flow wise. They both flow like open pipe. The Dynomouth is just a poor man's Loudmouth with the added benefit of a refined tone.
The later model cars had about 10 or so more rwhp stock, so you will sit about 10 above my results with an 00-02 car.
CrazyBosnian got 328 rwhp on his 02, and that was just Dynomouth, no lid!
Good luck
Dave
Old 09-30-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by ratio411
98-99s are know for about 280 rwhp, I have only a lid (with Fram) and Dynomouth and pulled 318 rwhp. That's as much as 38 hp gain.
Others doing the Dynomouth are pulling about the same gains, so it is very consistent.
The reason I am comparing the Dynomouth/Lid combo to the Loudmouth/Lid combo is because they are basicly the same flow wise. They both flow like open pipe. The Dynomouth is just a poor man's Loudmouth with the added benefit of a refined tone.
The later model cars had about 10 or so more rwhp stock, so you will sit about 10 above my results with an 00-02 car.
CrazyBosnian got 328 rwhp on his 02, and that was just Dynomouth, no lid!
Good luck
Dave
I wouldnt bet on that..

Too many factors are in play here.. Perhaps your car dynos well? Without a baseline, there is no way to tell for sure.
Then again.. even with a baseline, its best to know before and after on the same machine.. preferably when a/f ratio may be affected after the computer has learned the new information.

My car runs rich and its stock.. They said its because GM would rather you run rich than lean so they are supposed to be tuned that way.. No biggie.. I can live with that..
back to the subject though, its not an exact science so I dont think that harping 30+ rwhp and thats what? mroe than 60 crank hp? gains?!?!?! I dont see it...
Old 09-30-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by ratio411
Is your car a 6-speed? If so, that 280rwhp for a stock car should be more in the 290+ range. If not, there are many reasons why you could have dyno'd so high.

GMHTP did a comparo with a near stock LS1 car, they dyno'd with a stock SS (or WS6, not sure) exhaust then went to the B&B Triflo, then with nothing after the Y-Pipe. They didn't gain anywhere near 38rwhp going from the stock exhaust to the open pipe. Remember, some of these cars dyno a lot higher than others, you may just have gotten one of those.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:08 PM

You guys have good points. It's not exact science for sure as I don't have a baseline. I am just comparing my car to others in magazines, online, at shows, and on the dyno the same day.
One thing I have noticed that gives me a good feeling about what I say is that there are several guys posting with my same mods and are getting the same power levels (98-99s the same, the later cars are getting about 10 rwhp more) Like I said, it is all to consistent to ignore IMHO.
Dave

Btw psychocabbage: 30 rwhp is 35 fwhp on an M6. Dumping the stock muffler, this power gain at the flywheel sounds almost too low to me. 30 rwhp is 36 fwhp on an A4 if you are interested.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by 96fbirdA4
Is your car a 6-speed? If so, that 280rwhp for a stock car should be more in the 290+ range. If not, there are many reasons why you could have dyno'd so high.

GMHTP did a comparo with a near stock LS1 car, they dyno'd with a stock SS (or WS6, not sure) exhaust then went to the B&B Triflo, then with nothing after the Y-Pipe. They didn't gain anywhere near 38rwhp going from the stock exhaust to the open pipe. Remember, some of these cars dyno a lot higher than others, you may just have gotten one of those.

A comparison of WS6 or SS exhaust change from their stock one shouldn't be expected to be that much different HP wise. The WS6 and SS package came with a better flowing exhaust (SLP), than just a Z28 from what I've heard. I would think you'd see a bigger HP number difference by adding an aftermarket exhaust to a stock Z28 exhaust than an SS or WS6. True?
Old 10-01-2002, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by Decibles
A comparison of WS6 or SS exhaust change from their stock one shouldn't be expected to be that much different HP wise. The WS6 and SS package came with a better flowing exhaust (SLP), than just a Z28 from what I've heard. I would think you'd see a bigger HP number difference by adding an aftermarket exhaust to a stock Z28 exhaust than an SS or WS6. True?
Even so, you might get 10rwhp going from stock Z28 to SS exhaust. Based on Ratio411's numbers, going to the dynomouth would net another 28rwhp. Keep dreaming. I'm pretty sure that if he'd done a baseline he would only have gained maybe 15rwhp from that setup.

Some people only see 10rwhp from going to the LS6 manifold. Others only see 15rwhp going from exhaust manifolds to headers. Some cams like the LS6 or Hotcam have only netted 15rwhp for some people. Thinking you're going to get over 30rwhp from a catback exhaust is ludicris.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:39 PM

Talking to a tech over at LP motorsports, I was informed that a cat-back such as the SLP loudmouth can provide a average HP gain anywhere from 13-18 hp, and a airbox/filter will give you another 10 or so.... With an overall increase of about 30HP... just what I was told I have nothing to back that up.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by 2k2z28
Talking to a tech over at LP motorsports, I was informed that a cat-back such as the SLP loudmouth can provide a average HP gain anywhere from 13-18 hp, and a airbox/filter will give you another 10 or so.... With an overall increase of about 30HP... just what I was told I have nothing to back that up.
Those numbers sound very realistic to me...
Folks are making it sound like I said the exhaust alone will give you 30 hp, they are conviently overlooking the lid which is good for better than 10 hp most of the time. Figure roughly 20 for dumping that cork of a stock muffler, very reasonable (especially to the 3" exhaust advocates), and roughly 10 for the lid.
Sounds like some of us are on the same page.
Dave
Old 10-02-2002, 12:13 PM

Question

So if I got an SLP Loudmouth and aftermarket lid, would I be right up there with stock Camaro SS's and Transam WS6's?
Old 10-02-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by 02MidnightblueZ28
So if I got an SLP Loudmouth and aftermarket lid, would I be right up there with stock Camaro SS's and Transam WS6's?
up where? they are on the same field as we are when going in a straight line.. only certain stock SS's have a different suspension..

mod your suspension for less than $1500 and you are way ahead of them in the turns....
Old 10-02-2002, 03:41 PM

Question

Horsepower wise. RIght now alll I have is a regular Z28 with 110 horespower, would I be able to keep up with the SS and WS6 with those two mods?

Quick Reply: Lid and catback exhaust