LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Intakes: SSRA, Volant, K&N

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 PM

Intakes: SSRA, Volant, K&N

OK, I've got a 2000 Z28 convertible. No intake mods except a K&N filter. I think the Volant looks really cool, but I'm skeptical of the benefits since I don't have a Ram Air hood. That has me leaning toward the SSRA and lid. So, here's my real question. Has anybody had problms hitting the SSRA on speed bumps, parking curbs, or parking blocks? I hit the palstic air deflector under the front end all the time. Would that damage an SSRA?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Re: Intakes: SSRA, Volant, K&N

depends on the parking bumper, but yes they can destroy it. the ssra is the way to go tho, a good cai at lower speeds and true ram air at 55+ mph.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 PM

on a z28 style intake...the SSRA is the best route

i've hit mine ONCE on a strangely high curb...and i was a bit drunk so i pulled too close anyway.

the scoop only hangs about 1.5" lower than the front bumper...the plastic air dam is much lower than that.

and honestly...if you are pulling over curbs that far...you need to change how you park
Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 PM

i canned two of them, one in reno and the other here in the bay which was stupid. it was a awesome intake system with the ram air and all, but they should really sell those scoops in bulk, you know like when you order the system they send you about 5 of those little scoops.

but ya get the ssra i have the volant on my car, but thats only because its an ss and it actually functions( i proved it! i put an air blower up to the hood scoop and there was a ton of air coming out inside the engine bay right where the intake is, so ya).

get the ssra
Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 AM

scaped mine today on a awk uphill curb thingy at my buddies house on the mountain... i felt like blowing him up
Old 05-27-2006, 07:15 AM

Another vote for the SSRA. I scrape the air foil before I scrape the SSRA. I've never actually scraped the SSRA, though. It moves a lot of air at speed, too.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:23 AM

Well, that has minimized my concerns then. Unfortunately, I have to scrape a parking block with the plastic air dam every time I park at work. The reserved parking at work (yes, I have my own parking space) had a problem with people hitting the wall of the garage, when they parked. In order to deal with that, they put parking blocks in all the spaces. If you don't park with your front wheels all the way up to the block, you stick out into the lane. Rather than be one of the folks that have had their rear end clipped, I make sure I am all the way in. My air dam just barely gets clipped, so it sounds like the SSRA will clear it.

Sorry, Teke184, I'm not giving up my parking spot, so I think I'll have to continue to park that way.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 PM

well your situation is a bit unique. most parking spaces allow enough room to not have to pull that far up.

but honestly, the typical parking block, clears the SSRA by a solid 2" or more. i've looked (my work has them).

enjoy the setup man..it's nice on the highway
Old 05-28-2006, 08:15 PM

Or you could just park in reverse and not even worry about that block.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:59 PM

Thumbs up Re: Intakes: SSRA, Volant, K&N

Well, I'm part way there. Tonight, I installed an SLP air lid, completed the FRA mod, and I removed the plastic baffles(?) in front of the radiator. I haven't purchased the SSRA yet, but I figured that I'd have to remove the baffles for it anyway. I shouldn't have any problem not having that plastic baffle there should I? I ordered a G-Tech Pro SS this week and I think I should wait a bit for the SSRA, so the wife doesn't get too irritated about my auto expenditures.

I took it out for a test drive and I can definitely tell a difference in acceleration. What I wasn't expecting was how different it sounds under the hood at full throttle. The exhaust sounds the same, but there is a growl from under the hood that was not there before. I had the perfect test, because while I was out for the test drive I had a Dodge HEMI step up for a tail whoopin'. My Z28 would have taken him anyway, but it was just much too easy. I let him jump me by a second, twice and I just drove around him both times. He made a bunch of noise, but it just wasn't much of a race. It felt really good.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 AM

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED!!

I want to purchase an SSRA and sell it to someone right away. I'm really good with working with metals and plastics, and I was REALLY wanting to make my own SSRA using the original as a template. I'd sell the original with a 15% discount and keep my home-made version. any takers? PM me

I figure I cant design one better than theirs so I'll just use what they've done