LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

I THOUGHT my tapping was valvetrain noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 PM

I THOUGHT my tapping was valvetrain noise...

......but maybe not.

Since I got my SS 6 months ago I've had a very noticeable ticking which increases with engine RPM (NOT piston slap). I was thinking that either my oil pump seal was torn (which could cause tapping according to the TSB) or possibly I had a bent push rod. With the cramped engine compartment, I couldn't really narrow down where the noise was coming from. Almost seemed like it was coming from below, but with the way the back of the motor is covered, who knows what route sound waves take under the hood!

I've already taken it in under warranty for some other stuff, and when I mentioned it to the dealer they said it was "normal injector noise" . No big deal, I was planning on taking it in a few more times before the warranty runs out in October, hopefully they'd get tired of seeing me and look into it a little more.

Anyhow, I had it on a lift the other day, so for the hell of it I started it up and took a listen. Yup, tapping was coming from the passenger lower front of the engine. I did the big *** screwdriver to the ear thing and narrowed the noise down to the BELT TENSIONER (without a doubt). I guess the bearings are shot. Kind of weird though, because when I had the dealer check my VIN #, the only warranty work done to it before I got it was to replace the tensioner. Are these tensioners pieces of junk or what?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:51 PM

I would also like to know...

I have the same problem...I know it cant be coming from anywhere around the heads....it ounds like its coming from the front of the engine just in front of the oil pan.

Weird.

I havent had a chance to do the screwdriver/stethoscope thing yet but Im pretty sure its got to be an accessory or the tensioner. It only does it at idle and JUST above idle when I am slowly pulling away from a stop. It goes away right away. But when I stop again, like at the drive-thru at Mickey D's.....I can hear the sound bouncing off the wall next to me, a tapping noise.

I hought it might be my oil since it had been 4K mi, way overdue for me. But I changed the oil and filter and still the same exact sound. Hasnt changed at all. So I dont think its anything thats lubricated by the oil, unless it IS a lifter and the sound is just traveling (This is my first LS1, or any aluminum block)

I know on my old iron block 350's I could figure out exactly where any noises were coming from.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:31 PM

Most likely a bent pushrod, or possibly a busted lifter or rocker. Is it a rhythmic click, or is it random-sounding? Either way, you'll have to watch out how you word it to the dealer. They often consider anything internal engine "abuse," and you'll be handed a bill for the work. If it's bend rods, shouldn't be too costly. Few hundred bucks. If it's a combination of things, it could get costly, but either way, it's always best to have it checked out before it gets worse. And although the fuel injectors do have a "click" kind of sound, it's not really noticeable above other engine noise.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:05 PM

well I plan on doing a cam swap, as well as an upgraded oil pump.

Im just going to replace the entire valvetrain (minus rocker arms)
when I take it apart to put the cam in.

Im sure that will put my mind at ease, its really getting to me, I know it wont be a problem since Ill be replacing it all in 1000-2000 miles, I am just waiting to sll my Monte Carlo to have the extra cash to do it. Figure I might as well go all out on the valvetrain while its open...I can always upgrade the rocker arms later, its rel easy to get to once you relocate the coil packs(also upcoming...need the plug wires, already got everything else)

Once its apart I can diagnose the problem, and post my results.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Banned

Re: I THOUGHT my tapping was valvetrain noise...

Originally posted by Ron78Z&01SS
Are these tensioners pieces of junk or what?

yes

both LS1 and LT1 they are junk
Old 06-22-2004, 01:18 AM

Thumbs down

Might also be a thrown bearing! I thought mine was coming from up top somewhere, but nope..

Have you checked the valve springs?