LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

HP Difference between Camaro z28 and SS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:15 PM

HP Difference between Camaro z28 and SS?

This is kind of a newbie question to ask, but I figure I'll just go ahead and ask it on this board.

What is the difference between a Camaro Z-28 and SS? What does the SS have that gives it an extra 15 horsepower over the Z-28? Is it because the engine is tuned or what? I have heard that the SS exhaust is also responsible for the extra horsepower...

Last edited by Bud794; 02-27-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:43 PM

They have the same exact engine. The HP difference comes from the ram air, which most people believe doesn't do anything, and the better flowing exhaust. If you dyno a z28 and an SS they should put up almost exact numbers.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:03 PM

the ss badges on the side and rear weigh less than the z28 ones
Old 02-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by camaronewbiess
LOL!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by camaronewbiess
I will dispute that! the adheasive on the Z is lighter so coupled with its over all smaller statue ( the SS is taller) I suggest that the Z28 badges are in fact lighter and more aerodynamic!

The two cars are very much the same..
I for one didnt like the hood or spoiler so I naturally went with the Z28.. factory stripped.. so thats kewl.. Only option is my T-tops and Hurst..
Old 02-27-2004, 02:51 PM

Re: HP Difference between Camaro z28 and SS?

Originally posted by Bud794
What is the difference between a Camaro Z-28 and SS?
Hood, spoiler, wheels, and exhaust are standard on all LS1 SSs.
Originally posted by chuck
'96-'99 + early '00 the SS had 1LE springs, and several of the 1LE suspension parts, but not the Koni shocks.
'00-'02 - Base SS have the same suspension as a base Z28 with the exception of the 1LE 32mm front sway bar. Cars that had the Bilstein or 1LE option are obviously an exception.
Additional options I know of: SS key fobs and dash plaque, SS car cover, SS floor mats, bilstein or 1LE suspension, SS grill, upgraded exhaust, synthetic fluids, and Auburn high torque performance differential.

Yes, the hp difference is from the exhaust, the ones rated at 345hp (and 335?) also came with a SLP lid.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:37 PM

When I test drove a 2002 Z28 and 2002 SS convertible, it also felt like the SS had better acceleration...

It might have been that the Z28 had stock 2.73 gear while the SS had higher gear.

I was also told by the car salesman that the SS had better steering and handling, and that the SS has godly rear traction.

The car salesman were wanting to sell the 2002 Z28 (with 24k miles, Ttops, leather, etc) for 18k while the SS conv was around 21-22K (20k miles). Are those good prices?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:19 PM

#1. Never believe, much less quote, a car sales person.

#2. The SS, Z28, and Firehawk are so close in power output that one cannot definitely say that one makes more power than the other. Now for those thinking either that I am implying they were ripped off or dumb for buying an upscale model, or thinking that they are dumb, please realize that the upgrade package cost seems to stay consistant for many years, meaning that a used Z28 will usually be 2500-3000 cheaper than the same year SS, and that is what the package cost up front. Zero depreciation is a good thing, even if it is only on part of the car.

I chose a base T/A because I prefer the more simple lines, and because Iwas going to replace everything the package added besides the hood.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:46 PM

The SS has the 17" wheels and overall it has a better look.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:29 PM

Do a search. There is a thread like this about every month.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:30 AM

with SSs you dont need to waste money on buying new rims b/c they are 17x9 stock... (well my z28 anyway is 16x8) or 7 not sure, think 8
Old 02-28-2004, 07:49 AM

Talking

Uh oh, forum robo-cop Greed4Speed chimes in with his opinion. Will I get a ticket for this one?

Sorry Greed4Speed for offending your silly little forum netiquette. I am a camaro newbie and I tried but the forum search kept saying the word "SS" didn't exceed the minimum word length which is supposed to be over 3 words.

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was in a hurry and needed to get to a college class. I have made it clear that the Thread was over the hp differences, hence the title (obvious, isn't it?). If you don't want to add anything constructive, don't reply to it. Let me enlighten you on the word "forum".

Main Entry: fo·rum
b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper) of open discussion or expression of ideas

For everyone else, I apologize for my little rant here. Thank you for enlightening me with some of your opinions, especially camaronewbiess . I appreciate them and that's why I posted on the board, because you guys would know more about camaros than anybody else...
Old 02-28-2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Bud794
Uh oh, forum robo-cop Greed4Speed chimes in with his opinion. Will I get a ticket for this one?

Sorry Greed4Speed for offending your silly little forum netiquette. I am a camaro newbie and I tried but the forum search kept saying the word "SS" didn't exceed the minimum word length which is supposed to be over 3 words.

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was in a hurry and needed to get to a college class. I have made it clear that the Thread was over the hp differences, hence the title (obvious, isn't it?). If you don't want to add anything constructive, don't reply to it. Let me enlighten you on the word "forum".

Main Entry: fo·rum
b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper) of open discussion or expression of ideas

For everyone else, I apologize for my little rant here. Thank you for enlightening me with some of your opinions, especially camaronewbiess . I appreciate them and that's why I posted on the board, because you guys would know more about camaros than anybody else...
If you want to post and enjoy this board then I would suggest that you lose the attitude. He has the right to suggest that you search the forum. As you said free speach and open forum.....
Don't be a "dick" and you'll get more help.
Welcome to the board.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:19 AM

Ok, I apologize then.

Feel free to delete this thread if you wish. I was just trying to get some information to help me decide whether to get a Z28 or SS. I'm sorry if I repeated what was probably already have been asked a million times before.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 AM

Most differences are appereance rather than performance, except a few minor things.

Quick Reply: HP Difference between Camaro z28 and SS?