LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

how long did it take for your LS1 to start running strong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 10:53 AM

how long did it take for your LS1 to start running strong?

My Z has 1070 miles and doesn't pull all that great. I've heard it takes until you get to around 3000-4000 miles before they losen up and start performing better.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:31 PM
LT1

When I had my 02 Z28 it didn't perk up until after 3000 miles on the dial.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:31 PM

I have to agree that the 3,000 mile mark seems to be the magic number.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:17 PM

uhm.....if your Z doesn't have gobs of power from the virgin key turning, take it back, cause there's something wrong with it!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by tomslawsky
uhm.....if your Z doesn't have gobs of power from the virgin key turning, take it back, cause there's something wrong with it!
I agree. My car seemed to have plenty of power when I first got it (had 53 miles on it). I guess it's all relative, though. If you're noticing a -serious- lack of power, you have a problem. Even a new LS1 that hasn't been "broken in" yet should still have plenty of tire-screeching performance.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:34 PM

I will just see how it runs after 3000. I plan on having it dynoed at 3000 miles. I am waiting on my airlid and filter I ordered. Hopefully that will help a little. I hope I didn't get a dud. I noticed recently I might have a case a piston slap when the car is cold. Sounds slightly like a diesel truck.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:54 PM

Angry

Originally posted by blacknight
I will just see how it runs after 3000. I plan on having it dynoed at 3000 miles. I am waiting on my airlid and filter I ordered. Hopefully that will help a little. I hope I didn't get a dud. I noticed recently I might have a case a piston slap when the car is cold. Sounds slightly like a diesel truck.
I've noticed the piston slap too...................and IMO, it's bad . Even my dad (who's a mechanic) has told me it doesn't sound right to him................................he understands that "they all do it", but still thinks that it makes an excessive amount of noise. To me, I hear what sounds like a combination of piston slap and lifter noise --- piston slap is obvious - it "sounds like" a diesel.................and the "lifter noise" sounds like the noise lifters make when you're adjusting the valves on a motor --- that loose "clack clack clack" sound (sorry for the bad onomatopoeia!!).

In terms of how "strong" it feels?????? The car now has almost 7500 miles on it, and has been driven just about every day since June 26th (over 3 months now), so I'd like to think it's "fully broken in", and yet I don't feel like it runs any different now than it did within the very first week I had it..............................the only difference is how hard I drive the car now --- at first I was a little easier on it, but I certainly didn't break it in "by the book" --- not WOT 24/7 either, but definitely not "babied" (and yes, it's had "the knock" since Day 1).
Old 10-10-2002, 09:45 PM

Well when I went to test drive a BRAND NEW 2001 SS last year, it didn't have all that much "feel" to me either.
I also thought that it might just be that it wasn't broke in yet,
but then I came to the conclusion that ALL LS1'S DON'T HAVE THE FEEL FOR ME!
Maybe you just need some of that good ol' LT1 love!
Naw, LS1 are KNOWN to run HARD, but its just not my piece of cake.
good luck with your "lack of power"
Old 10-11-2002, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by blacknight
If I were you, I would dyno before the lid install.. Better to know a base line than what you have after a mod.. You may want to ask if you can make a pull then throw the lid and filter on to make another pull..

They may let ya..
Old 10-11-2002, 04:54 PM

I'm gonna put the lid on as soon as I get it. Then when I get 3000 miles on the car I will take the lid off and have it dynoed and then install the lid and run it again. Since the car only has little over 1000 miles I don't rev it higher than maybe 4000 rpm a bunch of times and I know these cars don't make max torgue until 4000 rpm. Maybe I'm just used to all the lowend torque my 5.0 stang makes.