LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

How do you LS1 guys like your Monsoon stereos???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 11:35 AM

well IMO the monsoon system is fairly adequate, the speakers could be clearer, and the speakers in the sail panels between the front and back seats , are not subwoofers ...they are mid bass speakers , and mine put out volume just fine....the only complaint i have is with the 12 disc cd changer....what a piece of s**t i dont know what it is but every once in a while you put the magazine in there and it doesent engage, or some frieken thing, so you have to pop it out and in 2 or 3 times, the head unit has worked flawlessly for me, its simple easy to use. all in all though i concentrate on doing 110 down the interstate rather than worrying about my music too much.

2002 silver Z still garaged from all this snow
Old 02-23-2003, 11:58 AM

I used to be into the whole stereo thing when I had my Eclipse GS. Though since I got my Z and Talon I've been into the performance stuff as mods actually yield noticable gains. The stock Monsoon is just fine for me, plenty loud and clear, even over my exhaust.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:49 PM

i'm in ashland county
Old 02-23-2003, 03:10 PM

monsoon

It's the only stock stereo I've had in a car that I haven't thought about swapping out. It's loud and clear enough for my purposes. I also occasionally get the dash rattles, most of the time however it's due to the exhaust drone.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:39 PM

The speakers by the rear seats actually give out a decent amount of bass. If you can't hear them, they are blown. I have blown them about 6 times between the 2 of them since I have had my car. Thank god for the warranty.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:53 PM

hey guys thanks for all the replys!! i really appreciate it! i used to be into car audio, now i just dont feel the need to spend the money! if the factory stuff sounds fine... than its good enough for me!!!

98whiteZ28 i sent you mail about the system.

do you guys think it should be pretty easy to completey swap in a monsoon system?? all the speakers are the same size as the stock bose in the LT1 correct?? the monsoon has the 2 speakers in the door, 2 in the rear seats, and 2 in the trunk correct?? thanks again for the input!
Old 02-23-2003, 06:05 PM

I too think that the stock Monsoon setup is just fine for now. My only complaint is that the system does not produce enough bass, so I added a subwoofer and disconnected the mid-bass speakers in the sail panel and the system sounds really good. People are really amazed at the amount of bass I get from the one 10" sub. For the money, I am pretty happy with the sound.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:02 PM

so I added a subwoofer and disconnected the mid-bass speakers in the sail panel and the system sounds really good
charlene99Z, was it easy to do this?? i know that the bose system is pretty much impossible to work with and add stuff to. does the monsoon system allow you to add amps and subs? i was thinking about getting the stock monsoon, then adding just 1 amp and sub later on for a little extra bass.

thanks again for all the advice!!
Old 02-23-2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by GrdLockV6
I don't give a flip. Every stereo component I could buy would mean one less performance mod, so screw that The stock one is just fine for me.
thats what I was thinking!! If I was done with my performance mods, by that I mean Heads, cam, headers, and wheels. I would consider going into audio and window tint.

But now that I blew the speakers in the rear seats from pumping the base, looks like I have to get new ones since now that theyve blown they rattle and sound like total sh*t. So Im gonna have to spend a good couple hundred getting some serious speakers for those rear seats. those after all are the ones that pump the most base and make the stock monsoon sound as good as it does. Might as well get an amp and sub while im at it.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:24 AM

answers in the sig
Old 02-24-2003, 09:32 AM

I think if you go with a sub, you'll be happy. I have bass blockers in the stock system and a JL Stealthbox and JL sub amp-it sounds great. I bought the amp new on ebay for about 275 (with a warranty) and I also bought the stealthbox used on ebay. It doesn't interfere with t-top storage.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:10 PM

The Monsoon sounds ok, the bass needs to be better, but other than that it sounds good. I just traded in a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with the premium sound and it was a little nicer. Not much more bass, but had more features like it said what was playing on the radio using RDS, but didn't get quite as loud as the Monsoon. I added 2 JL audio 10's and a MTX amp to the Monsoon and now it sounds great.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:20 PM

Re: How do you LS1 guys like your Monsoon stereos???

Originally posted by 1995redZ28
i know this might not be the right place to post this, but i didnt i would get much help in the audio section. anyways....

i am thinking about swapping out my stock bose tape deck and speakers in my 94 Z28 for the LS1 monsoon system. im not big into car audio, i just want something decent sounding, and plus i NEED a CD player!! so how do you guys like your stereos?? be honest. i dont want to spend $1000's on car audio, and i have come across a few good deals on these newer stereos.

i appreciate all your advice! thanks in advance!
I had the bose in my 95 camaro....... spent about $3000 putting MB Quart Seperates in along with a fancy amp and MB Quarts in the rear. (I also had two Rockford 12" HX2's). After $3000 it didnt have more power or clarity.... I was pissed! So I went back and kept adding **** to try and get is BETTER than the stock system I took out. Another $3000 later ($6000 in total) I had a impressive stereo. It took 2 MB Quart Premium sets (1 set in kick panels) a 120x4 Alpine amp, and tons of install time to get it louder and clearer than my stock Bose system. I sold that car, after beating the hell out of it and bought a 2001 TA Convertable. The stock bose system in my 95 actually sounded better I think. Then I added a $200 Infinity Bass Tube in the spare tire area and it sounds Compreable to my $6000 audio system (minus the massive bass). My suggeston to you is simple buy a stock Bose Head unit with a CD player, and add some kind of bass tube in your spare tire area. The Monsoon is no better than the bose.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:42 PM

I like the monsoon stereo, but the mach 460 in my old 4.6 GT was 100 times better in sound quality and 100 times poorer in ergonomics. I recently noticed that I can barely hear the midbass speakers in the sail panels but the dealer says they are ok. I know they arent... I rode around in an 01SS where they worked 100 times better.
Head unit is the typical gm... easy to operate and seems to be reliable. I personally am going to keep the stock stereo but upgrade the speakers if they blow when my car is out of warranty.

Who else has/had this problem and how did they get it fixed??
Old 02-24-2003, 04:18 PM

My Monsoon is good enough for me. Most of the time I turn it off and listen to the sweet music the LS1 makes thru the Flowmaster. To me nothing sounds better then that.

Quick Reply: How do you LS1 guys like your Monsoon stereos???