LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

How do I get rid of my ASR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:42 PM

How do I get rid of my ASR?

I don't like it. I want it gone. PERMANENTLY. I do not want the switch. I do not want the stupid looking thing with the cables under the hood. I want it gone, and I dont ever want it to return. I also do not want that "ASR OFF" light on the dash. ASR = teh devil! How do I go about removing this waste of space?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:25 AM

No offense... but Why?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:21 AM

ASR comes in handy during extreme weather conditions, especially rain.

If you don't like it, just turn it off everytime you start the car.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:03 AM

Arrow

Doesn't somebody sell a kit to reverse the switch? SLP, maybe...

Or just yank out the bulb behind the "ASR Off" and you won't have the light on the dash if you want to keep it off all the time.

I don't really see why such the problem with it, but what ever floats your boat...

TS
Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM

My '98 SS is my 5 camaro since 1986. All my cars have also been my daily drivers. Living where there is snow/sleet and slippery roads I LOVE my ASR. It actually made the car driveable in foul weather. When I want to push it, I just turn off the ASR.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 PM

i think he wants to get rid of it cause he wants full control over the vehicle.

if i had ASR, hell i'd do the same!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Amit

How do you not have full control over your car with ASR?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Amit

you can turn it off and have full control..
Old 07-21-2003, 02:25 PM

It really doesnt matter why I want it gone, I just do. I don't like it. I hate the button. I hate the light. I hate the extra **** under the hood. I want the pedal linked directly to the throttle body.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:59 PM

I am pretty sure the 99 would be made the same as my 01. If you raise the hood and look at the throttle cables you will notice one from the pedal to the ASR assembly. Another from ASR to throttle body. In the middle of each of these cables is a splice. Disconnect them in the middle and relink the half of the pedal cable to the half of the throttle body cable. This takes ASR out of the loop. I think there are adjustments in the cables where they tie together so you may have to adjust them after moving them for proper full throttle/ idle. As far as the switch you can probably go to your local dealer and buy a dummy plate to cover the switch hole.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:00 PM

thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:08 PM

bleh dont the throtle cables also go into the cruise control unit...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:20 PM

My apologies. I had to go look at my car again. The cruise control cable is actually the one with the connector in the middle not the pedal cable. And yes both the cruise and pedal cables go through the ASR. Ok, so at this point you have two options. One will be free the other will cost you a little. You can either just disconnect the electrical connector to the ASR under the hood, rendering it useless other than serving for a cable attaching point and still do away with the switch. Or you can seperate the cruise and throttle body cable in the middle, and connect them directly to still have cruise. There is a tab and the side of the plate on the throttle body beside where the cruise cable attaches. According to what I can see, you could buy a pedal cable from GM for a non ASR car that will direct link the pedal to the throttle body.

Forgot to mention but I am sure will know not to direct connect the cruise until you replace the pedal cable.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:58 PM

I hate to disappoint you but it is not practical to completely remove the ASR system. It is not as simple as switching out a single component since ASR is part of the ABS system. The best solution is not to get a car with ASR in the first place unless you plan to drive in a lot of snow and ice. I think that SLP sells a switch that has the system default to the off position and that would be the second best solution.

It would be very hard to remove the system completely since the ASR unit is a 4 channel system. This means there is one brake line running from the ASR unit to each brake caliper and there is a wheel speed sensor for each wheel. The ABS unit is a 3 channel system so there is only one brake line that goes to the rear axle and then splits to each rear brake caliper. There is also only one wheel speed sensor that goes in the rear axle. I am almost positive that the rear axles are not interchangeable since the ABS system has only one wheel speed sensor that goes in the center of the axle and the ASR system has one at each wheel.

If you really wanted to swap it, you would have to get an ABS unit, rear axle, and brake tube out of an ABS car at a junkyard. Then you would have to install all of this and figure out how to get the one wheel speed sensor wired into the car. I think the computer plug is the same between the ABS and ASR units so an ABS unit should plug right into the wiring harness of your ASR car. You could also get the throttle linkage out of an ABS car and get rid of the throttle relaxer.

I think that you will find the SLP switch and maybe pulling the bulb out of the dash to be much easier. Also, the 4 channel braking system performs slightly better than the 3 channel system while cornering and braking hard at the same time.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:24 PM

My SS does not have ASR. You're jealous, aren't you?

Seriously, I wish I did have it. It's going to suck when it snows. I live in Texas though, so snow really isn't a problem.