LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

high flow bellows

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 03:12 PM

high flow bellows

Add this High Flow bellows kit to your late model Camaro or Firebird and pick up some easy horsepower! Up to 5 additional horsepower can be found by smoothing out the airflow between the MAF sensor and the throttle body with this piece. The factory bellows creates turbulence and restricts airflow. This replacement part is designed with a single rib for "flex" as the engine moves on its mounts. The single rib disrupts the flow as little as possible. This bellows is constructed of high quality, fiberglass-reinforced silicone.
Off of thunderracing. Is this small peice worth the $50? Is it a help at all?
Old 11-12-2002, 03:16 PM

Well the technical jargon they are saying about turbulence and all that is pretty much correct. BUT.. I dont see the bellow giving 5 hp. I have thought about doing it to my car just for the sake of it, but I have not done it yet because I am not convinced it is worth it at all. I guess it boils down to .. if you are a person that wants every single hp you can get then and even 1 hp would be worth 50 bucks to you.. then sure.. go for it. I dont see how anyone that would say a ported MAF is worth it could tell you a better bellow is not. Of course I ported my own MAF so that was free...

Just my .02!!

Oh.. and if you do decide to get it.. check slponline.com I think they have it for $45.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:23 PM

Ain't worth it

I bought the SLP smooth bellows. Although there is no noticable difference in horsepower, I suppose it would be a nice compliment to SLP's 85mm MAF. Unless I was buying the MAF I wouldn't buy it.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:49 PM

Like everyone said, you won't notice a difference with just the bellow. It's just a hollow, flexible hose. I bought it because everything else from the air induction up to the manifold is after-market.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:36 PM

To answer your question.. worth 50.00? NO.. not at all..

I used a 3.5" - 4" hose adapter that we sell at ramchargers for the turbo buicks..

MUCH CHEAPER!
Old 11-12-2002, 05:46 PM

Thanks guys. I'm planning on a lid and a MAF soon (MAF if needed). If I got some extra cash around I may go for it, doubtful though.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by PhantomTA
To answer your question.. worth 50.00? NO.. not at all..

I used a 3.5" - 4" hose adapter that we sell at ramchargers for the turbo buicks..

MUCH CHEAPER!
Is this the right one? $22 may just be worth it when I get a new lid. Are there any other modifications that have to be made to get this bellow to work correctly?

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/n...787&cat3=25831
Old 11-12-2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
Is this the right one? $22 may just be worth it when I get a new lid. Are there any other modifications that have to be made to get this bellow to work correctly?

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/n...787&cat3=25831

I would like to know this too!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:25 PM

Get a Fernco 3" x 3" flexible plumbing coupler, Part #P1056-33. $4.98 from Home Depot. Goes on the MAF easily and with a little stretching goes on the TB. Cheap Mod if this is what you want.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:59 PM

I have one that I wish I hadn't bought.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:54 PM

search the LS1 forum for Redhawk bellows....I bought mine for $25 or so, and it works just like the SLP bellow, having the rib to flex with the motor etc. It's similar to the fernco I believe, but the guy cuts them precisely so they fit right up to your throttle body
Old 11-14-2002, 12:50 AM

Hey, guess what else works!!!! A foam beer koozie! ya know the kind that keeps your can of beer cold while your pansy *** is nursing it? You just punch out the bottow and slide it on there. Has good heat resistance and flexability. Works really well on shortened setups like with a lid and a tb spacer.

BAD ANDY
Old 11-14-2002, 08:13 AM

Seems like a waste of $50, my lid is good enough.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:43 AM

Just a word of caution to those trying to do the cheap mod way - the Fernco 3x3 (or 3x4) or the Redhawk bellows has led to several cases of aftermarket airlids cracking and breaking. Those plumbing fittings do not have enought flex to protect the airlid when you hit WOT and the engine twists to the side. That $20 mod could cost you a $150 lid. I tried the Fernco on my car but ditched it pretty soon after looking at the stress it produced. No gain, so not worth the risk.

I'm all in favour of modding a car to the extreme, so if you do feel the need to replace the bellows, stick to ramchargers silicon unit (I think its also called a Baker Hose elsewhere) which has flex, or the SLP unit. It's one thing to save money, but its another to risk damage just to save a couple of bucks. IMO.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Camaro ChriSS
Just a word of caution to those trying to do the cheap mod way - the Fernco 3x3 (or 3x4) or the Redhawk bellows has led to several cases of aftermarket airlids cracking and breaking. Those plumbing fittings do not have enought flex to protect the airlid when you hit WOT and the engine twists to the side. That $20 mod could cost you a $150 lid. I tried the Fernco on my car but ditched it pretty soon after looking at the stress it produced. No gain, so not worth the risk.

I'm all in favour of modding a car to the extreme, so if you do feel the need to replace the bellows, stick to ramchargers silicon unit (I think its also called a Baker Hose elsewhere) which has flex, or the SLP unit. It's one thing to save money, but its another to risk damage just to save a couple of bucks. IMO.
Many Satisfied customers with the Redhawk. How did you see the stress it produced under Wide open throttle? ???????

Quick Reply: high flow bellows