LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:33 PM

would 4.10's be good then if all i really want to add is an ls6 intake and some long tubes. maybe a small cam nothing big though. won't be putting on any slicks at the track or anything, maybe some drag radials. think the rear would hold up?
i have a girdle. what else can you buy to make it stronger?
Old 07-15-2003, 04:39 PM

When I had my 4.11's put in the installer was wondering what they were, the ring gear was twice as thick as the stock one, I have street tires so traction is not an issue ie there isn't any, my long term plans are cam and headers, I don't go to the track ( no rollbar),honestly though stock geared rearends break, they are weak. Long term I should have just put in a 12 bolt, but it's only money !!!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:25 AM

It is my understanding that the 4:10 gears really whine, making the car an almost impossible daily driver because of noise. Also, the gas mileage drops big time. Now I am reading that this isn't true. Are the individuals who are stating to go with 4:10 gears driving weekend cars or daily drivers? When I went to my local Chevrolet dealer, he said they don't make 3:73 or 4:10 gears for my car, is he not knowledable about the gear for my car or did I ask incorrectly for them?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:03 PM

they shouldnt whine. if they do then its more then likely a poor install.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by 99clothtopZ28
It is my understanding that the 4:10 gears really whine, making the car an almost impossible daily driver because of noise. Also, the gas mileage drops big time. Now I am reading that this isn't true. Are the individuals who are stating to go with 4:10 gears driving weekend cars or daily drivers? When I went to my local Chevrolet dealer, he said they don't make 3:73 or 4:10 gears for my car, is he not knowledable about the gear for my car or did I ask incorrectly for them?
Some gears, like richmond are almost guaranteed to whine a little. But some are whisper quiet if the install is right.

gas mileage wont drop much at all, and I have heard of it actualy going up in city driving

The chevy dealer is sort of right, (as far as chevy is concerned) chevy doesnt make 4.10s for these cars, BUT they do make them for S10s and those will fit in the F body(as long as you get the ones from the 7.5 in rear). so you can get 4.10's for your car from the chevy dealer, but he has to know what to look for...
Old 07-21-2003, 05:35 PM

I drive mine daily, they don't whine any more than the stock gears, which actually had a worse decel whine, my gas mileage actually went up around town by about 2 mpg mostly in my opinion because I can shift into sixth just putting around town at 45 mph , I have a convertible so if they made noise I'de hear it, the install is the key you have to know what you are doing, I spent almost two months looking around for an installer and in my case it paid off, does that mean they won't ever brake no the 10 bolt is quite honestly too weak for the HP these motors are capable of, it's a balancing job with all the parts and installation your just about half way to a 12 bolt, I don't go to the track I just wanted some kick in the *** for my daily driver and with an M-6 4.10's/4.11's were it, 3.73's in an M-6 is IMHO a waste of time and money though a lot of people will disagree that's life , everyone has their own opinion this is simply mine.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:31 PM

I have a A4 and I am contemplating the same thing.. Now Nitto Drag Radials are $70's a tire, which isn't that much I suppose.. but it does mean I can't go onto the high way and have to watch my ***, and those are the only way I can use my 4.10's unless I want to swurve all over.. and I'd be Screwed in the Rain.. it's a Daily driver for me (Hence the A4) so I'm going to invest in a 12-Bolt and a 3.73 Gear.. So atleast I have a more Equal balance at most speeds.. My Gas Milage already sucks. I drive too much