LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

gauges on LS1, hook ups

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 PM

gauges on LS1, hook ups

have an electric oil pressure gauge, electric water temp and voltage gauge. where does the oil pressure sending unit hook up to and then same with the water temp gauge. i was thinking about the front drivers side head, but what happens with that plug? is that for the stock gauge or something else with the coolant. and im thinking the oil gauge will hook up underneath near the oil pan, but ive never worked on an LS1 before so i dotn know where it is located. thanks
Old 06-10-2006, 06:25 AM
rwb

Re: gauges on LS1, hook ups

For the water gauge, there is a plug above the starter or on the back of the passenger head. The plug above the starter is what everybody uses.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 69z-28
have an electric oil pressure gauge, electric water temp and voltage gauge. where does the oil pressure sending unit hook up to and then same with the water temp gauge. i was thinking about the front drivers side head, but what happens with that plug? is that for the stock gauge or something else with the coolant. and im thinking the oil gauge will hook up underneath near the oil pan, but ive never worked on an LS1 before so i dotn know where it is located. thanks
Is this for a transplant or for extra guages? If a transplant is it still fuel injected?

The factory water temp sender is in the head, front drivers side. The oil pressure sender is behind the intake, drivers side.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:28 PM

just extra guages for an A-pillar pod, everythign pretty much stock otherwise. i did a lot of research last night and if im correct use the plug in the front drivers side head for water temp right? then the factory plug stays unconnected and the stock gauge wont do anything. ill just do this one if it will work cause i dont wanna get udnerneath this thing when i can lean over it and i couldnt find out aything about the oil presure gauge, but the autometer sender can just screw into the back of the block near the intake you said? thanks for the info,really appreciate it. hopefully it all works out.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:29 PM
v-8

You have got to watch unhooking factory sensors, it may have a effect on how the car runs, especially the temp sensor...
Old 06-10-2006, 04:41 PM
rwb

The car needs the temp sensor to go into open loop. If you don't connect it you will get an ses light and the car won't know when its warmed up.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:04 PM

ok, i never thought about that. i saw it when we were gona do the install but thats why i decided to ask cause i wasnt sure if that sensor went to the computer or what. ill use the one above the starter then. thanks for the advice. and about the oil pressure sensor, on the back of the block...how hard is it to reach? i know its pretty tight in there but i havent really tried yet. thanks again
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 AM

ok, i decided to get some gauges for my LT1 and was looking up the locations for sensors and i came up with this info although it might be different for LS1s.

according to shoebox, on LT1s the PCM reads off the water pump...
http://shbox.com/1/temp_sensor1.jpg

and the stock temp gauge reads off the head...
http://shbox.com/1/temp_sensor2.jpg

will there be a temp sensor in the LS1 water pump, and i can use the one in the head still like originally thought? thanks again guys
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 AM

ok, i decided to get some gauges for my LT1 and was looking up the locations for sensors and i came up with this info although it might be different for LS1s.

will there be a temp sensor in the LS1 water pump, and i can use the one in the head still like originally thought? thanks again guys
no sensor in the WP on LS1s. Just the one in the head which sends to the PCM then the PCM runs the gage in the car.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM

alright well i tried to get at the spot for the temp above the starter and the stupid SLP headers pretty much made it impossible to drop the starter. and the oil sending unit is pretty much impossible to get off, i could barely even reach it. we arent takingthe intake off so we took it to a shop to see what they could do about the temp sensor location. is there one in the block above the starter and then one on the back of the passenger cylinder head also or is it just the same one? thanks guys
Old 06-13-2006, 06:44 AM

so we took it to a shop to see what they could do about the temp sensor location. is there one in the block above the starter and then one on the back of the passenger cylinder head also or is it just the same one? thanks guys
The heads are identical. So look at the drivers side head them keep that image in your mind as you walk to the passenger side. There's a plug in the PS head where the sensor is on the DS. If you remove the coil pack you could get it from the top like doing #8 spark plug.

For the oil pressure try above the oil filter maybe theres some way to tap one in there instead of teeing off the factory location.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 AM

yep gotcha, but its damn near impossible to get back there on his car, from top or bottom. anyways the shop might tap into the water pump or something to get the temp sensor in there and they were gonna check near the oil filter too.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:45 PM

Alternately, you might consider NOT putting gauges that duplicate factory functions in at all. Gauge pods are really for extra pieces of information...
Kinda silly to screw up something that works perfectly well just to look cool, isn't it?

How about adding a wideband air/fuel and a fuel pressure gauge or trans temp gauge instead?

And if you let a shop "tap into the water pump" you deserve what you get.

Hint: it's the same head on both sides, but what's on the back of one is on the front of the other.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 AM

the stock gauges are very inaccurate in case you didnt know and you prolly didnt know either but his temp gauge just plain doesnt work. i know the heads are identical too, thanks for everyones wonderful explanation but ive had more heads off cars then i know what to do with.

and it was just an idea, but why should i "deserve what i get" by tapping into the water pump?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:50 PM

the stock gauges are very inaccurate in case you didnt know
Stock oil pressure and voltage guage work just fine in case you didn't know.