LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

G-Tech Pro Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 09:51 PM

G-Tech Pro Run

Ok I was out playin in the Z and i took my G-Tech Pro out of the glovebox to use. Well needless to say i ran a 13.6 @ 109...

My car is bone stock! so what should i be thinkin right now?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:23 PM

..........Nice numbers?........................

Good job, or maybe that thing is yankin your chain, I heard they can be inaccurate
Old 05-24-2003, 11:38 PM

Usually the time is pretty accurate to within a tenth. So if it says 13.6 its safe to say your within 13.5-13.7. The trap speed sometimes however can be really off. I once ran (w/ terrible traction) 13.8 @ 112 and then tried again, again with no traction and pulled 13.7 @ 101.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 PM

I ran a 13.06 at 113mph with a 2.4 60 ft.

That was the only run 1/4 mile run i ever did, and at that time my only mod was the 3.73's

Funny thing was it showed my HP at only 282 and TQ at 302. I have Vehicle weight at 3689, which should be right on the money, including me in the car.

Hmmmmm
Old 05-25-2003, 10:53 PM

but it takes some really flat level ground to get really accurate readings.. On the street that is hard but at the track it has come out more than once showing the exact same et as the track just adds about 4-5 mph to the ending mph reading that you get at the track..

so I am pleased with the G tech Pro for messing around.. but I use the real thing to know whats going on.. I would love to play with a G tech Comp model.. that one looks sweet..
Old 05-26-2003, 01:19 AM

The g-tech gives you your instant mph at the end of the run, opposed to the track which has to average it over the last 60ft or something like that.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:29 AM

i am about to buy a g-tech pro competition. Ill tell ya how it is. I think its gonna be awesome!!!!!

Scott
Old 05-27-2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Black01_Z
The trap speed sometimes however can be really off.
the G-Tech doesn't record trapspeed, it records the terminal speed. so what you get is correct.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:11 AM

I had the G-Tech Competition Meter and I hated it. I was really excited about it, but it really let me down. I kept it for about a month, and I never got consistent results. It never displayed a horsepower or torque measurement anywhere close to realistic.

It also claimed that my friend's bone stock S-10 ran 12's.

However, it has a nice resale value on ebay. I sold it after a month of use for $20 more than what I originally paid for it brand new!

I'm a computer engineer and I've been developing my own performance analyzer. It works in a much more reliable way than the G-Tech. The G-Tech uses accelerometers to measure g-forces and calculate acceleration, etc. My tool is an adapter that allows you to hook your laptop up to your vehicles computer via the underdash OBD-II port. It then reads the vehicle's speed and uses that information to calculate the following:

60' time
0-60 mph
1/8 mile et
1/8 mile mph
1000' time
1/4 mile et
1/4 mile mph

It will also calculate horsepower and torque curves, but I am still working on that feature at this time.

Also, its not just a performance analzer. It allows you to read every sensor on the vehicle (MAF, Intake Air Temp, Fuel Trims, Spark Advance, and hundreds more!). You can read the sensors, or you can have multiple sensors plotted on a graph in real time while driving! Also, it functions as a diagnostic scantool. It allows you to read trouble codes stored on your vehicle, and it will tell you what the codes mean. You can then fix the problem and turn off the check engine light.

The G-Tech sells for $250, but don't waste your money on it. It's all just a hype.

If you want me to build one of my tools for you, I'll sell it to you guys for just $180. All you need is a laptop with a serial port. I'll provide screenshots of the software if you're interested.

You can email me at: dvstate[AT]runbox.com

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2003, 07:18 AM

I had the g tech pro..so do friends..
they do read 5 mph high for sure..this is what you actually do run since the track averages the last 60 ft or something.
It is usually within a tenth..the g tech pro has several weaknesses that I hated.
It don't give the all important 60ft time.
It don't remember even the 0 to 60 on a run if you go to 1/4 mile.It don't have 1/8 mile and lets face it 1/4 mile runs on public roads risk big tickets or jail.
It needs fiddling to level and really hates unlevel ground.And the mounting system is not very good,mine has flied off the windshield.Also the hp is very inconsistent and I think inaccurate.
I now have a tazzo vpc..www.tazzo.com
It is much better..its got 60fts every run,you can just practice 60fts..it does 1/8 mile and 1/4.It don't need levelling or totatally level roads.The mph is very close to track mph and the et is also within a tenth or so of track.You can finely calibrate it to match track results.
Its got a very sturdy mount option.
And the hp is much better since its a windowed test and it can also give times between any two speeds.
I really like it.I was kinda sorry that I didn't get the new competion model but the tazzo works well. I still wish it would have some readouts for other distances like 330,660ft etc..On my highly modded 99 ta so far I can only get a 13.4 at 109 mph uncorrected for my 1900 ft altitude and have only got 2.2 60fts on my street tires..The 60ft readout doesn't show spin past the 60ft mark and I have lots.
But the unit was extremely consistent with my auto 80 near stock ta.
It ran three runs between 15.1 to 15.2 at between 94 and 96 mph with 60 fts between 2.4 and 2.5. And we ran the tazzo and gtech in buddies car and the tazzo and g tech were within a tenth et..g tech was tenth faster and gtech was 5 mph high.And the guy confirmed that his track times for mph really were what the tazzo said not the gtech.Price
is similar to the gtech pro. Buddy also has an ac22 I think its called a very nice unit also. and it gives more info thatn the gtech or tazzo..haven't seen how accurate it is yet either.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:33 AM

I have the g tech pro and the Tazzo. My g- tech reads 2 tenths too fast and 6 mph too fast (Ive made well over 50 track runs with this setup to compare). If you know how much it is off you can get a good idea on your times when you get them on the street. On the other hand I also have the Tazzo and this thing rocks. Right out of the box it was 1 tenth and 1 mph slower than the track. But unlike the g-tec it lets you adjust it so you can match the times to your local track. I love the fact that it does 60fts and 1/8 mile also because you cant always find a good spot to make the full 1/4 plus I dont always want to hit 120 on practice runs on a street. Hard to beat for the price and the accuracy. I hope that helps

Jeremy
Old 05-29-2003, 12:43 PM

the MPH reading on the G-Tech is not high. it is exactly what it is supposed to be calculating, the terminal speed (which is exactly what the G-Tech manual says). at the tracks, you're getting the trapspeed.

if you're getting unrealistic numbers, then just turn around and try it again. most of the time, it's because the road is not 100% leveled so you may be going downhill, thus helping you get better E/T. i think this thing is great since i hate going to the tracks and get in maybe 3-4 runs.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:14 PM

If you guys are unhappy with a gtech pro competition then you are doing something wrong. After setting it up and running the first pass which is always a bit off because it needs to get a bearing( and it tells you this in the manual) I ran 4 passes of 13.6x between 104.8 and 106.1. My 60ft without rollout for staging or any of that was 2.4. At the track the car runs a best of 13.59@104.5 Thats only 1-2 mph off and the time was about .05secs off. Its is, however, a HUGE pain in the butt to setup. Maybe I just got a good unit or I do something funky but it's a lot more accurate than the old gtech which still insists I clear the traps at 112. It clocked my bosses race car puling 1.5 sixty ft times on the street, unfortunately he cant hook it up enough for a full run.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:36 AM

I have the older model the gtech pro. The new one is the gtech competition . Ive heard they are more accurate than the older ones but I personally have not tried it.Im glad to hear you guys are happpy with the newer models.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by dgore
I had the G-Tech Competition Meter and I hated it. I was really excited about it, but it really let me down. I kept it for about a month, and I never got consistent results. It never displayed a horsepower or torque measurement anywhere close to realistic.

It also claimed that my friend's bone stock S-10 ran 12's.

However, it has a nice resale value on ebay. I sold it after a month of use for $20 more than what I originally paid for it brand new!

I'm a computer engineer and I've been developing my own performance analyzer. It works in a much more reliable way than the G-Tech. The G-Tech uses accelerometers to measure g-forces and calculate acceleration, etc. My tool is an adapter that allows you to hook your laptop up to your vehicles computer via the underdash OBD-II port. It then reads the vehicle's speed and uses that information to calculate the following:

60' time
0-60 mph
1/8 mile et
1/8 mile mph
1000' time
1/4 mile et
1/4 mile mph

It will also calculate horsepower and torque curves, but I am still working on that feature at this time.

Also, its not just a performance analzer. It allows you to read every sensor on the vehicle (MAF, Intake Air Temp, Fuel Trims, Spark Advance, and hundreds more!). You can read the sensors, or you can have multiple sensors plotted on a graph in real time while driving! Also, it functions as a diagnostic scantool. It allows you to read trouble codes stored on your vehicle, and it will tell you what the codes mean. You can then fix the problem and turn off the check engine light.

The G-Tech sells for $250, but don't waste your money on it. It's all just a hype.

If you want me to build one of my tools for you, I'll sell it to you guys for just $180. All you need is a laptop with a serial port. I'll provide screenshots of the software if you're interested.

You can email me at: dvstate[AT]runbox.com

Thanks!
thats seems quite excessive.. For the $ I would rather have LS1 Edit to get the scan tool features.. Ill just go to the track for the performance numbers..
All you are selling is a bit of software and a cable..