LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Formula vs T/A whats different?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:03 PM

Formula vs T/A whats different?

Hey guys im curious as of what the differences are between the two? I know the Formula is a Firebird w/ an LS1 right? help
(edit): if yall could post a couple pics of your form and some others of their t/a please
Old 04-19-2003, 02:19 PM

There is the Firebird which is the V6, the Formula is the V8 version (like a Z28) which has the LS1 if it is a 1998 and up. The Trans AM includes an appearance package with lower body cladding and polished rims and comes with more standard features inside like leather and power seat, etc.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by windnsea00
There is the Firebird which is the V6, the Formula is the V8 version (like a Z28) which has the LS1 if it is a 1998 and up. The Trans AM includes an appearance package with lower body cladding and polished rims and comes with more standard features inside like leather and power seat, etc.
ok so if/when i go to look for an LS1 f-body, a formula should be cheaper than the same year/condition/etc Trans am?
Old 04-19-2003, 03:21 PM

Yes, the formula should be cheaper than the T/A, year for year and condition.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:12 PM

I would urge you to get a TA, they have a different front, nicw ground effects and a nicer spoiler, they also come pretty much loaded. It's up to your preferences but i Think the TA looks better. Th e ultimate is TA with the WS6 performance pakage, with the ram air hood.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:20 PM

i dont really know which i want yet. no doubt money will be tight and i kinda like the plain look of the Formula. its.... "different". i mean i see a bunch of T/A's but not too many formulas...ah i'll figure it out when the time comes thanks guys
Old 04-20-2003, 12:42 AM

Formula is just a bird with a V8.

T/A has fog lights in the middle, different spoiler, more options.

I personally don't like formulas very much.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:13 AM
Banned

the ta is much nicer in my opinion..the hood wing and etc...

either way u go u will still have an ls1
Old 04-20-2003, 02:33 AM

isn't the formula a bit lighter than the T/A???
Old 04-20-2003, 04:24 AM

Yes, Formulas are light. Mine weighed 3385 without the spare tire/jack and a driver (1/4 tank of gas).

I know a guy with an LS1 T/A that weighs around 3550 lbs. But I'm not sure what the standard weight for one is.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:37 AM

In principle, the Formula should be cheaper. But I see them selling for the same price as the TAs in the used car market. You're basically paying for the drivetrain. Besides, Formulas are pretty rare.

I remember seeing an article on an LS1 Formula back in '98. It was a silver sleeper that was running high 12s at some crazy MPH (basically, it was an LS1) with just an exhaust and a lid. I just loved how they were underrating the engine and how no one knew what the hell the Formula was.

It's really sneaky how GM did it. They changed the body-colored molding that said Firebird to Formula. On a black car, you couldn't even really read it. The exhaust had dual tips and the wheels were slightly different (and may have been an option for the regular Firebird), but people rarely paid attention to that.

In the end, I wish I had bought a TA. I want people to know what they are dealing with..many times, I couldn't get anyone's attention because they thought I had a V6...even though I usually beat up badly on any LS1 that I raced. The bottom line is that you don't spend all your time racing and the TA is just a sexier car. The Formula is too plain and doesn't promote itself enough.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by ChrisLS1Bird
In the end, I wish I had bought a TA. I want people to know what they are dealing with..many times, I couldn't get anyone's attention because they thought I had a V6...even though I usually beat up badly on any LS1 that I raced. The bottom line is that you don't spend all your time racing and the TA is just a sexier car. The Formula is too plain and doesn't promote itself enough.
I always liked the looks of the basic Formula. Not for its sleeper value- but for its cleaner look. But I gues you're right, some uninformed people think Trans Am or WS6 (mostly Trans Am) when they think of V8 firebirds. But similarly, how about the V6 Camaro vs Z28 comparison? Its hard to tell them apart sometimes. Especially the black ones with the black badges and all.

Chris, I take it you no longer have the Formula? What are you driving now?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:07 AM

I like the TA rear spoiler better than the one on my Formula. But otherwise I like the sleeker look of the Formula better. In my opinion the best looking bird is a WS6 Formula or Formula Firehawk. I'm currently saving up for a WS6 or Raptor hood. Here is a link to some pics of my Formula.

http://community.webshots.com/user/chris2000formula
Old 04-20-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by JaysZ
I always liked the looks of the basic Formula. Not for its sleeper value- but for its cleaner look. But I gues you're right, some uninformed people think Trans Am or WS6 (mostly Trans Am) when they think of V8 firebirds. But similarly, how about the V6 Camaro vs Z28 comparison? Its hard to tell them apart sometimes. Especially the black ones with the black badges and all.

I hated the V6 look on my black Z28. Black Z28 badges had to go. See link in sig. Theyre silver now. But saying that the Formula looks worse than a TA is like saying that a Z28 looks worse than an SS. The TA may look a little better, but when all is said and done they are just as fast. And still look awesome anyway. Get what you like. Personally I wouldnt mind having either one in the form of the looks department, the difference is very minimal.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by JaysZ
I'm driving an '01 Acura 3.2 CL..and I have a beater Toyota Corolla. But I miss going fast and shifting the gears, so I'm going to be buying another LS1 in a few months (unless I can find a good deal on a Supra).

Wish I would have kept my Formula. It was an Arctic White freak.