LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

FIPK vs. Direct flo airlid

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:38 PM

FIPK vs. Direct flo airlid

With the FIPK there is no lid. Is there a distinct advantage over the Direct-flo with one?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:51 PM

Direct-Flo is just a lid and is different from the FIPK. The FIPK does not have a lid, but a bunch of other stuff and allows it to make more power than just a new lid. I don't know what the FIPK kit comes with.

The FIPK just makes more power than the Direct-Flo lid. If you are going to do other engine mods, go ahead with the FIPK, but if not just get a lid. Both are good
Old 04-29-2003, 12:15 AM

I have no experience with the Direct-flo lid. However the K&N FIPK gave me an increase of 26 rwhp. Not everyone will see this much increase. But the FIPK will show you more power over a typical lid. Most owners remark on the noticable increase in throttle response. You can see a picture of it here.

http://www.knfilters.com/images/FIPK/57-3022.jpg

Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:20 AM

Mister Will: Did your increase in HP come before you did you exhaust and other mods? I would think the exhaust had alot of effect on the HP vs 29hp just for the FIPK? If the FIPK was the only difference I am definitely buying one.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Monodax
Mister Will: Did your increase in HP come before you did you exhaust and other mods? I would think the exhaust had alot of effect on the HP vs 29hp just for the FIPK? If the FIPK was the only difference I am definitely buying one.
Yes The increase in my sig was from the the FIPK only
Old 04-29-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by BT
Just get a lid and cut out the bottom of your airbox. It's pretty much the same thing
BT, do you or anyone else have personal experience with doing that? Results/drawbacks??
Old 04-29-2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by gearslammer
BT, do you or anyone else have personal experience with doing that? Results/drawbacks??
There is the potential to get water in the engine when driving through wet conditions. That is why some people opt not to do the free ram air mod.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:17 AM

Good point
Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Mister Will
There is the potential to get water in the engine when driving through wet conditions. That is why some people opt not to do the free ram air mod.
Now way in h e double hockey sticks will you get water in the engine from doing the FRA mod unless you drive your car into a lake. Been driving with it done for years.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by AL SS590 M6
Now way in h e double hockey sticks will you get water in the engine from doing the FRA mod unless you drive your car into a lake. Been driving with it done for years.
I think your driving on borrowed time. All it takes is one good puddle.

I read a post on this board were a guy flooded his engine while driving over a gutter with the FRA mod. It happens.

Is it really worth it?

BTW I said "potential".
Old 04-30-2003, 01:07 AM

I don't think water is a real big threat with the FRA mod...it's so far up in there..but the leaves and dirt that get in there get the filter dirty and gunked really quickly. You have to clean out the big stuff and change filters more frequently, that's for sure.

I don't really think it made any difference in performance...for me.

I think I'll try the volant or FIPK next time, just to be different. I was looking at the Volant when I bought my whisper lid.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Mister Will
I think your driving on borrowed time. All it takes is one good puddle.

I read a post on this board were a guy flooded his engine while driving over a gutter with the FRA mod. It happens.

Is it really worth it?

BTW I said "potential".
Do you know anybody personally that has ruined his engine by flooding it running in water with the FRA mod?
I don't. And I know a lot of Michigan f-body guys. If you are aware of a potential hazzard then it can be avoided. Right?
I'm not the least bit worried. Like I said 5 years with FRA.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:43 AM

This is just a guess but I think you might be getting FRA (Free Ram-Air) confused with FTRA (Fast Toys Ram-Air). I remember where there was a case awhile ago where someone's engine was flooded with the FTRA. However, I can't think of any instances in which an engine was flooded b/c of FRA. Maybe you have the two mixed up, I dunno.

Anyway, I have the FIPK and I couldn't be happier. I've seen many dynos that have shown gains of 20+ HP, though I have never dynoed mine personally. I have no complaints and would reccomend a FIPK. Good luck with your choice. FIPK

-John
Old 04-30-2003, 11:59 AM

well, if anyone in houston has a K&N FIPK, I will pitch in half to get my car dynoed before and after it.. Meaning if you are here in houston, ill meet ya at the shop.. get my car on the dyno for an hour, and just swap your K&N FIPK system onto my car for the runs and test it against my stock lid and MTI lid.

Getting tired of seeing all of these posts.. ugh!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:30 PM

FIPK owns!!! Huge increase in throttle response. Car really came to life. Havent dynoed it, but it feels faster and ive heard many people get 20+ rwhp from it.

Quick Reply: FIPK vs. Direct flo airlid