LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Exhaust Exit points??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:50 AM

Exhaust Exit points??

I installed a SLP Y pipe and SLP loudmouth on my Z and i was wondering if instead of having it exit out the back if i could eliminate pipe that goes over the axle and have it exit somewhere else. Any suggestions or whatnot would be good....Im just tryin to do somethin different
Old 09-12-2003, 01:12 PM

Arrow

You can always make a turndown on the I-pipe just before the rear axle, for example.

Will probably be loud as hell, but I guess that's what you are looking for.

TS
Old 09-12-2003, 01:25 PM

Everyone and their brother did turn-downs during the 60's-80's. If you're looking for something different, you could angle them out behind each rear tire instead of shooting them straight back.

I second the other post about how loud turn-downs are. Interior noise is obnoxious, gets old fast, and makes it harder to talk to passengers or listen to music, radar scanners, etc...

Straight back is the best IMO. Besides angling them out behind each rear tire, you could go with the centered quad-pipe look with rear pan skirt like a suped-up SS. Those look pretty cool.

Just my $.02

Daryl
Old 09-12-2003, 01:27 PM

I know people who have "dumped" the exhaust just before the rear axle with turndowns. Very stealth look but you also (obviously) loose the look of the pipes at the rear. I've always liked the idea of side pipes. I like the look of the original dodge viper with the heat shield around the pipe (which ironicaly the did not shield the heat and caused the door itself to get very hot along with customer complaints about burning thier calfs on the pipes). The turndowns before the rear axle are usually pretty loud inside the car. The sound, inside, of the side pipes I would suspect to be between the dumps and the rear exit. I've never seen anybody do side exit or side pipes on a 93 and up camaro or firebird.
Another thing I have seen done (but not on a camaro) is to exit the side THRU the front of the rear quarter panel (just ahead of the rear wheel. Similar to many race cars). It usually hase some kind of billet alluminum trim around the whole cut in the body. I'm not sure if there is room to do this on our cars but I think it could look pretty damn cool.
I've thought about this from time to time and I keep thinking of what the rear would look like without pipes. It just seems kinda necked without the pipes. But I dont like any of the rear ground effects that are out there either. Its a tough call
Old 09-12-2003, 03:12 PM

Lightbulb

I saw a rustang the other day that had a side exhaust. It looked like our stock tip,but chromed, and he had it mounted in front of the rear tire. It was right under the bottom facia and pointed straight sideways. It was definitely different. I couldn't tell if I liked it or not, being on a rustang it skewed my judgement too bad.
nz12's
Old 09-12-2003, 09:12 PM

Arrow

Originally posted by NZ12'S
I saw a rustang the other day that had a side exhaust. It looked like our stock tip,but chromed, and he had it mounted in front of the rear tire. It was right under the bottom facia and pointed straight sideways. It was definitely different. I couldn't tell if I liked it or not, being on a rustang it skewed my judgement too bad.
nz12's
That was probably either a Saleen or a Roush...

Or maybe you can get the body kit for others, too... Not that familiar with Mustangs...

TS