LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:34 PM

so does anybody have insight on what i shoulddo next...i was thinking some sfc, lid, zo6 clutch and hydrolics, and hooker lts
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 PM

i don't mind flywheel numbers, i just see conversion numbers as accurate as desktop dyno. only for bench racing. as for what the engine is putting out actual, that's only shown on an engine dyno.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Bone Maro
Some of you amaze me at your quickness to denounce a flywheel conversion.
I make 555 FWHP. How many other people do you run into who can claim they have a street driven, grocery getting, family hauling 550+ hp car?
Did you have your engine on an engine dyno? If not then your just guessing about the 555 at the crank. You don't know that for sure. That's what I denounce. "quoting" a number that is just a guess, a it shoulda, kinda, maybe if all else is equal. Like Joe Friday always used to say on Dragnet. Only the facts sir.
Nascar, NHRA, IHRA, and all of the others quote flywheel horsepower because they use engine dynos extensively and they KNOW what the flywheel numbers are.
I will NEVER post that I guess that according to this conversion number that my motor might be making around 350ish horsepower at the flywheel. I will post that it made 314 rwhp on a dynojet.
My 2 cents.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:51 AM

If you wanna get specific about accuracy, then your Dynojet numbers are inaccurate. The program uses a drum and some algorithims to guess on torque, then again guesses on horsepower. The only "true" dyno numbers, or at least more accurate, is a Mustang dyno because of the rotation of inertial mass against a known applied force. Thus, why Mustang dynos usually dyno lower than Dynojets and the like, they're a "true" chassis dyno.

So, I guess unless we're all pulling our engines and putting them on engine dynos, we're all screwed because no one knows the "true" power that we put out.

Or in my case, I tell people that know cars what my rwhp is. I tell other people who are just being nice or passing by at a car show what my fwhp is. That way, there's no confusion between the automotive masses and the regular masses.

But, this is stupid. If you don't like conversion numbers, then you don't. If you do, then you do. No one's right or wrong for converting if they feel the desire.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Bone Maro
Or in my case, I tell people that know cars what my rwhp is. I tell other people who are just being nice or passing by at a car show what my fwhp is. That way, there's no confusion between the automotive masses and the regular masses.
I do the same thing. If you are talking to some guy who has a 220 horsepower Maxima that's not really into cars, he only knows that his car has 220 horsepower. He more than likely has no idea (or cares) what his to the wheel horespower is. So when I tell him I make over 440 horsepower, he knows what's up...
Old 07-15-2003, 11:26 AM

Damn Sean, 76 posts?

Anyways. WS6Formula00 hangs out with the crowds I do and knows where I'm coming from. All in the eye of the beholder.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 PM

i don't tell someone hp to tell them what's up. i want them to think i have less. that's why i race, it makes my point.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:30 PM

how come everytime i post about...anything an arguemnt is started. i just wanted to see how my #'s were and istart some d@mn arguement. don't post on my tead unless your going to help or have a positive comment. i mus have some sorta curse
Old 07-15-2003, 05:04 PM

I did post the norm about what your power is to the flywheel, and the conversion factors the average owner uses.

Some people decided to hijack your thread becasue they feel your numbers don't count at the flywheel or you're "bench racing".

You asked, and some of us gave you the input you'd requested. Sorry if it got away from the original topic
Old 07-15-2003, 08:43 PM

they keep saying that our f-bodies are equivalent to the c5 of its perspective year. Chevy just downsizes the numbers so as to keep them from taking sales away from the vette. 299.2 is impressive for the mods you have done .

I hear you about the conversion numbers too. I live in NY and the new craze is all these lil rice burners. These kids think what the hell they have b/c they take a civic and put on an exhaust and an intake. It gets to the point where it gets annoying. Then they start with the my intake gives me 25 horse and my ehaust another 15 so now I have 150 hp. they have no idea and gets really tiresome tryin to explain what the real numbers mean.

It is fun to let them make noise in front of you and then just fly right by them though

but anyway good luck with the car and congrats on the numbers
Old 07-15-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by 98 PURPLEHAZE
so does anybody have insight on what i shoulddo next...i was thinking some sfc, lid, zo6 clutch and hydrolics, and hooker lts
ok.. back to your subject..

SFC is good..
Lid is fine.. adds noise.. but power too..
hold off on clutch till you need one, then get the star spec 3 or something good like that..
hooker... hmmm everyone else has them.. why not...

its all a matter of what you want to do with your car and where you want to take it..

research before you buy!

good luck! sorry about your post going haywire! hehe

btw.. I am happy with my numbers.. when i one day get the mega bucks, I will for surely take my engine out and get it dynoed to have an idea of what the percentage loss is.. till then I dont care for speculation.. nice to know the engine power but only when you have had it on an engine dyno..