LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Does Borla sound good at idle (better than Corsa)? And more questions inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:43 PM

Does Borla sound good at idle (better than Corsa)? And more questions inside

Alright, I've done tons of searching and have not found an exact answer to my problem.

I just recently purchased a Corsa catback and had it installed. It sounds awesome outside the car but you can't hear it very well at idle (by design actually) and when you're speeding up it sounds like a ricer car (sorta) inside the car. Granted it sounds great all the time outside the car but I'm inside. I have been thinking of replacing the muffler to something I can hear at idle and that doesn't have that loud ricer-like tone with I'm accelerating although I'd keep the catback and the tips in place. I was really happy with my Flowmaster on my LT1 but I wouldn't mind something a bit deeper than that. I have been thinking of putting a Borla muffler on there. Would this fit my needs? Also, if so, which Borla muffler should I get, the "turbo muffler" or the "turbo XL muffler"?

Last edited by SuperDave479; 01-29-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Banned

borla sounds awsome i have it and am very happy
Old 01-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Banned

robvas check your pms
Old 01-29-2003, 05:48 PM

Re: Does Borla sound good at idle (better than Corsa)? And more questions inside

Originally posted by SuperDave479
Alright, I've done tons of searching and have not found an exact answer to my problem.

I just recently purchased a Corsa catback and had it installed. It sounds awesome outside the car but you can't hear it very well at idle (by design actually) and when you're speeding up it sounds like a ricer car (sorta) inside the car. Granted it sounds great all the time outside the car but I'm inside. I have been thinking of replacing the muffler to something I can hear at idle and that doesn't have that loud ricer-like tone with I'm accelerating although I'd keep the catback and the tips in place. I was really happy with my Flowmaster on my LT1 but I wouldn't mind something a bit deeper than that. I have been thinking of putting a Borla muffler on there. Would this fit my needs? Also, if so, which Borla muffler should I get, the "turbo muffler" or the "turbo XL muffler"?
hmm.. understanble that you bought the exhaust for you and not someone else.. but the idea of a GOOD exhaust is that you do not have it inside the car... Think of how many people gripe about the sound in their car not out of it.. I dont see the sense in wasting more $$. You have a very nice sounding exhaust... just turn up your stereo.. This isnt a Ferrari where the sound is musical... its a CAMARO.. I am actually thinking my car has gotten louder and am a bit annoyed.. But thats me..

I just find it all odd...
Old 01-29-2003, 05:53 PM

Sorry, but does anybody actually have something useful to add? I'm not asking people to understand. I just want it to sound like a musclecar going down the road the way it did in my LT1 with the Flowmaster. I actually enjoyed driving more when that was the case.

I want to know if a Borla muffler or possibly Flowmaster muffler is going to give me what I want.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:36 PM

I had the same problem, spend a lot of money on mufflers and didn't get what I want: muscle car sound.... then I tried it with no muffler and it still sounded like sh&*^% , just loud but no "rumble" like the older cars. I wonder why, if it's the catalycs or the fuel injection........ I actually just gave up and save some money for a "real" muscle car with a good old carburator and a dual exhaust with no cats....... I saw and heard many LT1s that sounded pretty good but I don't have any clue what they installed....good luck !
Old 01-29-2003, 07:38 PM

I don't know if you're planning headers/y-pipe in the future but if you are then I'd keep the Corsa. From what I've read, a lot of Corsa owners weren't that impressed with the sound when they had just the catback. After headers and Y, they were very happy with it. IOW (from what I've read), Corsa sounds bada$$ with headers and an off-road Y.

Borla is nice, I had it on my '96 Z...but it is not "deep" and w/ LTs and an off-road Y, it was just too "raspy" for my taste. However, you wouldn't be getting the catback, just a muffler...so I have no idea how that would sound.

IMO, nothing sounds "deeper" than a Flowmaster but that's all it is (deep)...it just doesn't have a nice tone to it. They do sound pretty good on a 5.0 or 4.6 though.

If you're gonna do headers and a Y, then keep the Corsa and see how it sounds after.

If you're not going to do headers/Y, then go with something else because you're obviously not thrilled with it.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Banned

raspy?????

mines not raspy at all when i had loudmouth it was raspy....

now with borla and flp longtubes it sounds awsome
Old 01-29-2003, 11:00 PM

Post Re: Does Borla sound good at idle (better than Corsa)? And more questions inside

Originally posted by SuperDave479

OK, here's your main problem. LS1's are a LOT quieter by nature at idle than LT1's are with the same exhaust. In fact, I've even heard some LT1's with the stock exhaust that are louder at idle than LS1's were with an aftermarket cat-back. And LS1's have a higher-pitched tone too.

I used to have both the Borla and LM on my last LS1. I now currently have the GMMG Chambered Exhaust on my new LS1 that is only a little louder than stock at idle. But it has a deeper, throatier sound to it than both of those exhaust while being just as loud throughout the entire rpm range. However, I still could "barely" hear any of them at idle while inside my car. But they are very easily heard both inside and outside the vehicle and are the three loudest cat-backs you can purchase for an LS1.

An aftermarket lopey cam(112 LSA) is the ONLY way I know of to really make an LS1 loud at idle. Don't cut up your Corsa man(you paid a lot of $$$ for it). Either keep it and accept this or sell it and replace it with another cat-back(I'd recommend the GMMG w/ a nice cam).

Mike

2002 M6 Z28

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 01-29-2003 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:39 PM

i've had a dynomax on the cougar for about a year and a half and this sucker is amazing. its a dynomax superturbo i think. people always compliment the sound of the car. it isn't too loud but it sounds aggressive as hell and not anywhere near ricey. the car sounds closer to a race car than a truck or ricer.

i can only imagine how great it would sound on a 5.7L v8... drool...
Old 01-30-2003, 12:14 AM

Does anyone have any sound clips of their cars so we can hear some of these different sounds?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:53 AM

okay, I have a borla and it sounds incredible, much deeper powerful tone than the corsa that my buddy has. Lets just say that when I remote start the car you can feel the walls and floor vibrate in my house, and the car is parked on the street. Interior sound is nice at idle and kinda loud at WOT. I love this exhaust and will never trade it for anything. Everytime I start the car I have people stop and look, you can hear and feel the cam lopeing, sounds damn mean!!! I also think that with borla there are restrictor plates you can add or remove to increase or decrease the volume, at least thats what my buddy told me, it's to cold for me to check it out now. I will try to get a sound clip for you.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:59 AM

Sorry forgot to mention.... At Idle the interior sound is way louder than stock and my friends Corsa. As an example, we have the same aftermarket Stereo's and speakers (I'm an installer and got a deal for us) With his car I can play the Stereo at level 18 at idle and the sound is a nice level, with my car and the borla I have to play the stereo at 27 to hear it, so yes there is a HUGE difference.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:13 AM

I didn't read everyone else's replies, so I dunno if this has been said.

I have a cut-out on my LS1, and I love the sound it makes. Freeways of course can be annoying sometimes, but hey, I usually drive w/ my t-tops off, and the radio blaring, so the loud exhaust drone on the freeway is just another background noise

So my vote is for a cut-out. Why spend hundreds on exhaust when you can spend $30 on a cutout and have it sound sweet as hell. Of course I still need to invest in some 3" pipes, but that's in the future. My next vote would be for that Dynomouth exhaust. Get rid of your muffler, and along the i-pipe put the Dynomouth muffler on it. If I didn't have a cut-out, that would be what I'd do.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by v10power
okay, I have a borla and it sounds incredible, much deeper powerful tone than the corsa that my buddy has. Lets just say that when I remote start the car you can feel the walls and floor vibrate in my house, and the car is parked on the street. Interior sound is nice at idle and kinda loud at WOT. I love this exhaust and will never trade it for anything. Everytime I start the car I have people stop and look, you can hear and feel the cam lopeing, sounds damn mean!!! I also think that with borla there are restrictor plates you can add or remove to increase or decrease the volume, at least thats what my buddy told me, it's to cold for me to check it out now. I will try to get a sound clip for you.
Do you and your buddy both have LS1s?

Quick Reply: Does Borla sound good at idle (better than Corsa)? And more questions inside