LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Cut out or No Cut Out that is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 10:23 AM

Cut out or No Cut Out that is the question!

Yes or No...

Pros and Cons PLEEEEEEASE!

Looking for an inexpensive way to gain some h/p

I have an A4....99 Ls1...

Please I need opinions!!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:56 AM

yes, im getting an electric cut out
im not sure how much it will help, maybe around 5 RWHP?? any one want to correct me?
Old 02-22-2003, 11:48 AM

the gain all depends on what exhaust you are running to begin with. Since it looks like he is stock adding a cut out will give him more than 5 RWHP how much I'm not sure.

Pros: More HP, cheap, loud

Cons: Can be an annoying sound, have to take off the cover( get electric cut out)

I'm gonna get an electric cut out in addition to my Corsa so it won't give me tons more HP but it'll be fun to open it up and scare people with the sound
Old 02-22-2003, 02:31 PM

i picked up 3 mph with my car
Old 02-22-2003, 08:52 PM

Awesome....Thanks for the replys...

Not to sound stupid, but uhhh what's the difference between a non electric cut out and an electric one? (other than the obvious, one's electirc and one's not)
Old 02-22-2003, 10:26 PM

GET A CUT OUT!...the diference between an electric and non-electric cut out is....The electric cut out opens and closes with jus the push of a button. Witch meens u can cap it with out getting under ur car!....this is good but costly, if i no u, u will never cap it anyway!.....the non electric cut out goes on and off with just 3 wing nuts, still very simple, U just have to get a LIL dirty!...peace
Old 02-22-2003, 10:30 PM

In my opinion the electric cutout is not worth it.
Heres why:
$30 for a standard cutout
$130 for a electric.

With the standard ones, all you have to do is remove the wingnuts, and put it on/off. Unless you are lazy, then I guess spend the extra hundred. Dont forget with cutouts, that you need someone to put it on ($$)
Old 02-23-2003, 04:17 PM

id say yes to a cutout. i picked up 2 tenths and 2 mph with mine.
and get a regular cutout. no need for an electric one unless u have an extra $100 to toss around.

PROS: lower ET's,more HP, cheap, efficent
CONS: loud and sometimes annoying.

very good bang for the buck. i say go for it!
Old 02-23-2003, 08:34 PM

I say hell yes! I love mine! I have a couple meg video clip of my cutout, if you'd like me to send it to you then IM me @ GrdLock31337
Old 02-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Banned

get a cutout
Old 02-23-2003, 08:52 PM

Go for it, its absolutely gives you the most hp per dollar out of any mod. It'll be 30 for the cut out and about another 30 for the install.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:25 AM

My cut out is one of my favorite mods.. I just got my electric opener installed yesterday too so I was having some fun with it this morning.

As for what you will gain.. I have a Flowmaster catback.. which is known for how well it flows.. (cough:bullchit:cough).. actually it probably flows a little better than stock but even that could be debated.. but I picked up 7rwhp with my cutout open. You can take a look at my dyno sheets if you want.. just click the link in my sig and go to page 4.

Bottom line is get an electric cutout.. you will LOVE it! Oh, and the extra 100 for the electric opener was well worth it in my book.. was to much trouble to crawl under the car to uncap it.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:07 PM

Do you pick up anymore additional hp by adding the cutout to an aftermarket catback instead of stock?
Old 02-24-2003, 04:32 PM

If you put the cutout just after the catalytic converter, where most people do, you won't gain any horsepower with the cutout open on an aftermarket exhaust over the stock exhaust. That's the point of the cutout, to bypass the exhaust. I gained 9 rwhp and 8rwtq with the cutout open vs. an aftermarket exhaust. The dyno numbers in my sig are from a K&N filter and the cutout. No other performance mods.

--- Oh, sorry for the long sig, haven't gotten around to trimming it yet ---
Old 02-24-2003, 05:18 PM

If saving cash is your primary objective, well other than gaining HP, I would recommend a cutout as well. You can't beat the prices and there is no question that it delivers performance. I like cutouts because of the adjustability, something that I dont have with a Loudmouth. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my exhaust and if I could go back in time and make the decision again, I'd still go with the LM. But if $$ was more of a factor at the time, I would have gone with a cutout for sure.
BTW, if I were you, I'd shell out the extra cash for an electric cutout. It's still not that expensive and it's nice to just flip a switch at a stoplight and have instant HP. Rather than having someone come up on you wanting to race, and then you having to say, "Hold on... Let's pull into this parking lot so I can uncap my cutout." Plus it's cool to have extra little switches in the car.

-John

Quick Reply: Cut out or No Cut Out that is the question!