LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Cut off muffler make car quit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Cut off muffler make car quit?

Ok i cut off my muffler. My car quit a while back ( in the shop getting a new rear end along with 3.73's ), My mechanic checked everything, no codes were thrown. Fuel pump is operating fine. It broke down and SES light came on and the check gauge light... battery voltage was low, the car was making a sound like a chain clanking around, pretty loud. I got it towed over to his house and its ran fine ever since. He said the only thing he could think of is where the exhaust is right under the gas tank it could have heated the fuel and caused it to quit, because the car would turn over perfect and it would shut off like somoene turned the key off, no high rpms or anything. Any suggestions or has this happened to any of you all? Or do I have a Christine on my hands here hah.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM

Re: Cut off muffler make car quit?

Well, most people who don't run an exhaust full out the back of the car run a turn down just before the pipe turns up to go over the axle. You're living dangerously if you cut the pipe right where it went into the muffler. Then again, why the hell did you do that? Why not just by a cutout and install it in the I-pipe? If I'm assuming I understand what you've done correctly, then this is up there with the guy (over at ls1.com/forums) who drilled holes in his radiator support for more airflow to his lid.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 PM

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the car scanned for the old codes, that might help you diagnose the problem.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Well, most people who don't run an exhaust full out the back of the car run a turn down just before the pipe turns up to go over the axle. You're living dangerously if you cut the pipe right where it went into the muffler. Then again, why the hell did you do that? Why not just by a cutout and install it in the I-pipe? If I'm assuming I understand what you've done correctly, then this is up there with the guy (over at ls1.com/forums) who drilled holes in his radiator support for more airflow to his lid.
How does cutting a muffler off compare to drilling holes in the radiator support? You're grammar confuses me.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 98blckz28
How does cutting a muffler off compare to drilling holes in the radiator support? You're grammar confuses me.
You don't see the potential problem with hot exhaust gases exiting right beneath the fuel tank???? My point, or my frustration I should say, is with people who hack up these cars in the hopes of getting a little more power. If you're going to mod your car, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. And in my opinion, chopping off the muffler and having hot exhaust gases exiting right below your fuel tank is just wrong. I think most of the people on here would agree too.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:17 PM

yeah it prolly was not a good idea to heat gas up for exlosive reasons. however this would not cause the car to stop running for any reason as far as i know.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Ya hacking the muffler wasnt exactly what Id call a free mod (or a smooth move for that matter). But as far as it heating up the gas and causing what I think your mechanic is trying to call vapor lock (it just quit). There is a pretty durable cover over our tanks that keep it from being punctured and would probably do the same as far as keeping it insulated from excessive heat.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Retired

That's ridiculous.

You need a new mechanic. I've never heard something so retarded in my life.

Mike
Old 09-28-2006, 04:25 PM

This may sound stupid(maybe not) but what exactly does it matter if you cut the muffler off or not. The muffler is right near the gas tank as well. We all know that mufflers to get hot also. Besides there's that thin heat sheild there anyway! It' not like the exhaust gases are hundreds of degrees hotter than the muffler anyway that far back in the exhaust system. I cut my muffler off my 99z28 the day I bought it , granted it's no longer like that, but I had no problems with vapor lock or blowing my car up. It is cheaper than a cat back for the time being until you can decide on one.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kraest
That's ridiculous.

You need a new mechanic. I've never heard something so retarded in my life.

Mike

He said that because there was nothing else wrong to cause the car to quit... and he suggested maybe that messed with the fuel pump because after the car sat for a while... it ran fine. He is by no means a bad mechanic either... so I am doing fine with him for the work he did to my car.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 PM

and he suggested maybe that messed with the fuel pump
If he could even suggest that, you need a new mechanic.

+1 with Kraest
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
If he could even suggest that, you need a new mechanic.

+1 with Kraest
owell doesnt matter... he put my new rear end with 3.73s fine so guess hes not too shabby.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 PM

owell doesnt matter... he put my new rear end with 3.73s fine so guess hes not too shabby.
Hey I cant put in gears too, no garantee on how long they work though.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Hey I cant put in gears too, no garantee on how long they work though.
Everyone on this board think they are a know it all and better than everyone?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 PM

Everyone on this board think they are a know it all and better than everyone?
BS aside....you cut off your muffler and he thinks it affected your fuel pump somehow?!!! Have fun with that.

Maybe I run 11's on luck, so I know nothing at all.

Quick Reply: Cut off muffler make car quit?