LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Clutch problems - need a new one soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 03:37 PM

Clutch problems - need a new one soon?

I did some street racing last night. I let my professional racer friend drive my car for a couple of races.
On the second race he lost to an Eclipse because the clutch was acting up. I had whipped that same eclipse the previous week.
I was watching from the start line and I heard him miss the 1st to second shift.
He later said that the clutch stuck to the floor and he had to rev-match it and jam it in gear. After he stopped, he couldn't even put it in gear because the clutch was stuck.
The way he shifts is powershifting, meaning he doesn't let off the gas when he shifts.

Whenever I race, I never have a problem with the clutch, but I don't powershift either. Is it just that my clutch is too weak for that kind of driving? I've noticed that the clutch has almost stuck to floor a few times when I've tried dropping the clutch in 2nd while going about 50 MPH.
The car is driving fine today.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:15 PM

First of all your clutch is definately not strong enough to handle that type shifting.

Second I dont think your rearend is strong enough to handle it either. (or your trans for that matter)

Did it get messed up after the FIRST time he raced while shifting like this?

I have heard this type of shift is good for .5 in the 1/4 with a good driver.... but on the same note is .5 worth it if you can only do it once or twice before something breaks.

I dont know where I am going with this but I think you got off easy if you only have to buy a new clutch.

i feel bad for you car.

No one has even driven my car arround the block.People only go for rides in mine
Old 07-06-2003, 04:18 PM

Re: Clutch problems - need a new one soon?

Originally posted by Stumper66
The way he shifts is powershifting, meaning he doesn't let off the gas when he shifts.
So when hes does this the car gets pretty "out of shape" when shifting right? (from 1-2 2-3 and so on) like the back end kicks out.

just wondering.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:39 PM

My car does the same. It's deff. the clutch and should be upgraded if you plan on racing. I'm going to upgrade mine very soon but not sure what kind to get. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-06-2003, 04:58 PM

If this is any help at all their is a test you can do to see if your clutch is done when your going down the road accellerate to around 50 mph put it in 6th and try to accelerate. If you are gaining rpms and accellerating you should be fine but if your just gaining rpm's time for a new clutch.. Good luck
Old 07-06-2003, 08:47 PM

The clutch isn't your problem, it's the hydraulic slave cylinder. The hydralic line that feeds from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder has a restriction in the line causing the fluid to slow when you push in the clutch. This makes for smooth daily shifting, which would be why you yourself hasn't had any problems, but when you let your so called pro drive he actually out runs the fluid causing the pedal to stick to the floor. You can remove the whole hydraulic/slave assembally from the vehicle and take the line off. When you get the line, you then have to use a drill and a small bit to drill out this restriction. If your clutch isn't slipping then there is nothing wrong with the clutch. Best way to remedy this is to
1. get a new clutch (if money allows)
2. Go to GM and buy a 2002 slave assembally
3. Although it isn't neccesary, go ahead and do the drill mod to it also.
Do a search for "drill mod" or "slave mod". You can find a bunch more info, and there is a do it yourself page that gives you detailed instructions on how to do the modifacation step by step.