LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Car wont Start!

Old 12-03-2004, 09:20 AM

Car wont Start!

Good morning everyone. At least that's what I thought until I tried to start my car this morning. I got in turned the key, waited for that rumble, but nothing. Just a click, (no starter motor spinning). I tried it several times but only got a click, a single click when I turn the key. I put a meter on the battery, it appears to be fine. I got the car started with the push and pop method. It started right up and ran perfectly. But when I got to my destination (work), I tried starting it again with the same result. Just a click.

So what is the consensus? Is it a bad starter, starter solenoid or just a weak battery?

BTW, it has been unusually cold in San Diego (high 30's, low 40's) if anyone thinks that would make a difference?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:56 PM

Re: Car wont Start!

Yep, sounds like a bad battery or a poor connection. Since it only does it in cold weather I'd go with the battery because battery voltage drops slightly in colder weather.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Well, I just had the battery checked. It was in excellent condition. Which is what I was afraid of (batteries are easy to change). So I am looking at the starter. Ordered one this afternoon. Will be here tomorrow. It was fun push starting the car in the parts store parking lot. Took me four tries.

So, does anyone have any advice for how to change out a starter? I would assume it isn't to difficult. But Kragen was out of manuals.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Will
Well, I just had the battery checked. It was in excellent condition. Which is what I was afraid of (batteries are easy to change). So I am looking at the starter. Ordered one this afternoon. Will be here tomorrow. It was fun push starting the car in the parts store parking lot. Took me four tries.

So, does anyone have any advice for how to change out a starter? I would assume it isn't to difficult. But Kragen was out of manuals.
2 bolts and a couple of wires. Like any other starter.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:31 AM

My main concern is getting to the starter. My car is lowered. It will take some manuevering to get a lifting jack underneath the car and set it on jackstands.

Once it's up in the air, it should be fairly simple. Where's a lift when you need one?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:24 AM

right here but your pretty far from me to let me put it on a lift lol, i actually had the same problem and it was just my wires were just a hair loose from the terminals on the battery, i bought new screws for it and perfect, anso check the alternator wire on the back of the altertnator could be loose possible
Old 12-04-2004, 11:25 AM

usually a starter wont just go out all of the sudden you'll notice it a little at a time
Old 12-04-2004, 11:29 AM

True, but I do hear a click. Like the solenoid is engaging but the motor isn't cranking the engine over.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:24 PM

Voltage has nothing to do with starting the car. Starting the car involves cold cranking amps... Just because voltage reads good does not mean you have enough CCA's to start the vehicle. Go have the battery tested at your local Interstate Battery and they will tell you if it is indeed the battery or another problem.

If it's a battery, buy a red top optima.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Will
Well, I just had the battery checked. It was in excellent condition. Which is what I was afraid of (batteries are easy to change). So I am looking at the starter. Ordered one this afternoon.
Already had the battery checked.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by LcukyStarZ28
Voltage has nothing to do with starting the car. Starting the car involves cold cranking amps... Just because voltage reads good does not mean you have enough CCA's to start the vehicle. Go have the battery tested at your local Interstate Battery and they will tell you if it is indeed the battery or another problem.

If it's a battery, buy a red top optima.
This is true, but voltage and amperage are in a direct correlation. If voltage drops then more than likely amperage will drop also. You may even have amperage drop and voltage stay the same if you have corroded battery terminals and wires. Since the battery puts out a set voltage and the resistance in the wires is raised the amperage to the starter will be lowered. You can see this in the equation Volts=Amps X Resistance. Since volts is a constant given by the battery, and resistance won't change unless there is something wrong with the wires or connection, then the value that will change is amperage. If voltage goes down then amperage must also. Even if resistance changed it would only increase which would lower the amount of amperage even more.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:30 PM

If I mis understood I'm sorry but isn't he reading the voltage off the battery not the battery leads to the starter so there will be no resistance so his voltage reading will be correct. So his voltage can still read 12.66+ and his Cold cranking amps still be too low to turn the car over.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

Had the same problem, turned out to be a loose battery cable.... how i havent chimed in too late
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by LcukyStarZ28
If I mis understood I'm sorry but isn't he reading the voltage off the battery not the battery leads to the starter so there will be no resistance so his voltage reading will be correct. So his voltage can still read 12.66+ and his Cold cranking amps still be too low to turn the car over.
You are understanding correctly. What I was saying is if his battery voltage is low there is no way he can have the correct cranking amps. On the other hand he can have correct voltage and still not have enough amps. This can be due to poor connections or wires that are in poor condition among other things. I'm sorry if I didn't explain this better in my previous post. I hope it is clear now.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:50 AM

After lifting the car up and placing it on jack stands, I was able to reach the starter. I replaced it with the starter I ordered. It is simple to do. The most difficult part is the lack of space. The biggest surprise was tightening the solenoid wire and torquing the wire lug around. I was afraid I would strip the wire or others in the boot. But after some cursing and tight finger work, it was installed. Removed the jack stands. Got in and turned the key. She started right up! Problem solved! So it was a faulty starter.

Now I don't have to worry about parking on an incline

Thanks for the input everyone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car wont Start!