LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Cabin noise is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 11:22 AM

$50k corvette...compared to a $25K camaro....:blah:

4 yr old car compared to a 1 yr old car....:blah:

put some freaking sfc on it, then spend a few miinutes in the car with someone else driving so you can search for squeaks...then fix them...

oil on moving parts, sticky felt between plastic joints, and take the change out of your freakin ash tray
Old 02-18-2004, 11:49 AM

N0thing in my car squeaks after 27k, except the t tops when its cold. Of course with the cutout open... everything resonates

He is right about the stangs, tho... my 98GT was squeak free for over 2 years...
Old 02-18-2004, 02:36 PM

when my 99 was brand new, it was pretty quiet (at least what I remember).. but at 50k miles, my 99 has its own set of squeeks and rattles over bumps. Some squeeks from rubberish suspension moevment and various interior panels.. sometimes a rattle from my exhaust which I'm too lazy to adjust perfectly. and some other tiny things.. I don't notice it when I'm spiritly driving around town with the windows down and radio on or off, but its most appent when its raining, with the windows up, going over bumps and stuff.. I also have SFC's too btw.

The dash gets real bad in winter, when the interior is still cold, but the heat is blowing out hot. Every single plastic piece in the dash sounds like is rubbing against each other..

Its the nature of the beat.. a characteristic I've accepted for the love of my 4th gen. (but any new cars, no way) This is why I'm not sad that they stopped making 4th gens, but angry they didn't continue with a new 5th gen design.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:14 PM

I have t-tops and I have the same problem. So I ordered SFC's from dynamicmotorsports.com (for a great price) on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike
Old 02-19-2004, 02:36 PM

everything rattles in my car but i think it is because of the big cam
Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 PM

I agree w/ the SFC suggestion... I had them installed on the '95 and it certainly made a difference in the ride quality. They're on the '99 and it's the same result.

If you browse the various F-body boards you may come across a GP on SFC's. I got a really good deal on BMR's last year.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:51 PM

Talking

Stangs rattle just as much, don't kid yourself... This is coming from a former Mustang owner, so don't think it is brand bias...
Old 02-20-2004, 04:02 PM

I have a 1998 Z28 and it has T-Tops with 60,000 miles and there is no noise what so ever in my car. Maybe you guys just need to tighten some nuts and bolts or something.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:22 PM

No noise whatsoever? Maybe on a perfectly smooth road..

The noises I'm saying aren't loud.. If you have the radio on or windows down, you probably won't hear them.. However, if you roll up the window, coast in a low rpm and go over some bumps and stuff, and carefully listen, you do hear them..

Originally posted by daferociousone
I have a 1998 Z28 and it has T-Tops with 60,000 miles and there is no noise what so ever in my car. Maybe you guys just need to tighten some nuts and bolts or something.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 PM

I'm working on my rattles as we speak. I had a great thread going awhile back about stopping rattles. I've done a few things, I dynamatted my doors, both inside and behind the door panels, and i'm also going to be doing the trunk and under the carpet this spring. Not for any kind of sound system, I have a stock stereo and speakers in mine, but for road noise. Just having the doors done was a noticeable difference. I know some people will bitch because dynamatt is heavy, but to do both doors, under the carpet and the trunk was like 40 pounds. I figure with the weight i lost taking the AIR system, the EGR system, the cats, and that heavy factory exhaust system about evens things up, and the cars much quieter on things like road noise and rattles.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:47 AM

Get a louder exhaust :P
Old 02-21-2004, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Mike94ZLT1
I'm working on my rattles as we speak. I had a great thread going awhile back about stopping rattles. I've done a few things, I dynamatted my doors, both inside and behind the door panels, and i'm also going to be doing the trunk and under the carpet this spring. Not for any kind of sound system, I have a stock stereo and speakers in mine, but for road noise. Just having the doors done was a noticeable difference. I know some people will bitch because dynamatt is heavy, but to do both doors, under the carpet and the trunk was like 40 pounds. I figure with the weight i lost taking the AIR system, the EGR system, the cats, and that heavy factory exhaust system about evens things up, and the cars much quieter on things like road noise and rattles.
How much dynomat did it take you to do the whole interior?I've been thinking about doing the same thing...
Old 02-21-2004, 08:55 AM

To do the doors, both on the inside of the skin (which by far helped the most) and under the actual panel, I used about 1 and a half door kits. I work for best buy, and I get it dirt cheap. Another cheap solution is www.raammat.com, they sell a similar product, and a huge roll of it at that, for 99 bucks. To do under the carpet I'm not sure, I'm also gonna use door kits for that because they give you large sheets, and its the most for your money. I figure that 4, maybe 5 kits would do it. Comparitively speaking, the RAAMMAT is alot cheaper, even that dynamat at my cost, I may use that for under the carpet.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Killaz
Turn up the raido
Or roll down the windows and listen to the engine and exhaust
Old 02-21-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Ken S
No noise whatsoever? Maybe on a perfectly smooth road..

The noises I'm saying aren't loud.. If you have the radio on or windows down, you probably won't hear them.. However, if you roll up the window, coast in a low rpm and go over some bumps and stuff, and carefully listen, you do hear them..
I was actually thinking about videotaping as I drive to show you guys, but I don't know if the camera can capture the true quietness of my car. Even on bumpy roads, the only thing that makes a noise are the springs and shocks and tires, but inside the car, unless I have change or a loose plastic screw on the rear plastic covers, it doesn't have a vibration noise or nothing.

You guys probably abused your cars when you should of used SFC's before abusing it. I don't have any SFC's, but I am now thinking about buying them and getting them installed because I don't want my car to get like your guys cars.

One thing I really hate though are the sun visors that move too much when I drive on bumpy roads though. Why aren't they supported on both ends? Thats probably what I am really dissapointed in.

Last edited by daferociousone; 02-21-2004 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Cabin noise is driving me crazy!