LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Buying My 1st Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM

Buying My 1st Camaro?

Yesterday I took a drive in my buddies '01 Z06, and have decided that one day I too will own a car of this caliber, but I don't have the money at the moment, so I am looking to purchase a 99-01 z28, 5 speed MT, and preferably black, with a 373 rear end. The only problem is I have never owned a Camaro before. I was just wondering if it would be at all possible if you guys could give me any advice with defects, common problems and basic buying tips. Keep in mind that I am 22 years old and will be attending college in the fall, after getting out of the Military, so my resources will be limited to about 10 to 12 grand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
Old 05-16-2005, 05:21 PM

Re: Buying My 1st Camaro?

Good choice in wanting an LS1

A manual Z28 will be a 6 speed with 3.42 gearing. If you want 3.73s that will have to be aftermarket gears. If you want a 5 speed you could swap to one, but I couldn't imagine it would be worth the trouble

If your friend had an '01 Z06, it really won't take TOO much work on an LS1 to make it pull as hard. Handling and around an autocross course would be a different story, but not in a straight line. I'd say a cam (a mild one or bigger) and some bolt-ons will get you where that Z06 would be

These are pretty reliable cars. I haven't ran into any problems that I didn't cause I've heard people say their window motors like to go out, luckily mine haven't yet. But just like any other car, if you treat it good, it will treat you good
Old 05-17-2005, 06:44 AM

I was under the impression that z28's came with a 5 speed, but I came to this conclusion from just looking at adds on the internet. Theres no way in hell I would swap a six speed for a 5 speed. Does the 01 z28 have "skip shift", I know it was a feature that I had for the short amount of time I owned a Trans-Am. And if it does, is there a mod I can buy to disengage it? Just curious, It was always a hassle to have to drive around in traffic going from 2nd to 4th as I accelerated. Would it be worth my time and money to invest in a SS rather than a Z28? I understand the performance and handling package, but for 15 ponies, a stiffer suspension, and a few fiber glass panels, I dont see the extra 4 or 5 grand worth it? Just curious?
Ron
Old 05-17-2005, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice, I called today about a 01 z28, w/ 39,000 miles, Im gonna go check it out this weekend, if all goes well and there is no major body damage or mechanical problems, Ill buy it.
How big of a cam would I need to get the same pull out of the LS1 in the z28 that I felt in the z06? And would a new o2 sensor and cold air induction help at all w/ gas mileage?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:19 PM

yes, new o2 sensors and fuel filter and all that good stuff would be a good idea. as for looking to mod your car to increase gas mileage....good luck. i usuallt get 18 around town or about 26 on the highway. i know many people on this bord get great gas mileage. you just have to make sure you dont always have a thing called a lead foot
Old 05-17-2005, 08:08 PM

If you have an M6, that's the best mileage that car will ever see. The only way you could possibly get better mileage would be to either get a less agressive cam (why?) or get a lower gear rear end (again, why?).

You'll see good enough mileage, don't worry. That's not why you bought the car anyway i'd hope.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 AM

EMPG for a manual is 18/28, is this accurate, I'd much rather have a manual than an automatic, but they seem hard to come by.
Does anyone know anything about LS1 Edit, and how much of a difference it makes in the performance of your engine(HP wise)?
Ron
Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 PM

Does anyone know if the 98, 99, 00, and 01 Trans Ams came with an LS6 block? I cant find anything on the internet or on pontiacs website.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 PM

the 2001 fbodys (meaning camaro and firebirds) had a 10% chance of having a FLS6B (Factory LS6 Block)..
For the 2002's the percentage was up to 25! My car is one of the 2002's with an FLS6B.

Firebirds and Camaros were built in the same plant so its all the same chances..

what part of houston are you at?

MPG? pretty typical driving for me which includes a bunch of fun and some high speed runs per tankful is about 20mpg average.
and I would wager that I keep better logs on my gas than anyone on this site easy..
Old 05-18-2005, 02:02 PM

If there was a 10% chance of having a LS6 Block in 01 and 25% chance in 02, what are the chances in 98-01?

Im starting to compare SS, z28s, and WS6's, and right now, for performance, asthetic appeal, and affordability. Right now, Im leaing towards the WS6, it prolly doesnt help that I owned a Formula though. In any case, I have about a year to save my cash and make my investment, in the mean time, Ill just read and soak in as much as possible!

Right now Im stationed in NC, but Ill be back in Houston in late June, you know of any LS1 clubs around the houston area that would let me hang around with them in a Hyundai Elantra! Haha, JK bro.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by youremyboyblue
If there was a 10% chance of having a LS6 Block in 01 and 25% chance in 02, what are the chances in 98-01?
since you answered yourself on the '01 part, I'll finish it for you: 0% chance a 98-00 has an ls6 block from the factory. It's not a HP mod anyway, just kind of a convenience thing on the part of GM. You won't see a huge diff. between a car with the ls6 block and one without.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Thanks for all of the advice so far guys, I'll be checking out a 01 z28 and a 02 Trans-Am WS6, Ill keep you guys posted, once again, thanks alot.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Forget the car: get yourself a nice little ricer with good gas mileage and easy to work on. If you're going to go to school, you won't have the time or the money to spend on these cars, including insurance.

Then when you get out of school with a good job, buy yourself a nice car that you want and can afford.

Or completely ignore this advice. Maybe because it's free it isn't worth anylthing either.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:03 PM

I too am in the market for a new F-Body. I sold my 87-Iroc about 6 months ago & have missed a V8 rear wheel drive car ever since. I can finally afford an LS1 & can't wait to get my hands on a WS6.

Should I be worried about particular model years & the infamous piston-slap? I read that this was fixed for the 2001-2002 model years, but then read somewhere else that this wasn't the case & it was still present. If this is true, I won't bother only looking for the last 2 years because it's really hard to come by a 6spd here in Florida.

I can't wait, I bet it'll be a HUGE difference from my LB9 305 TPI in my IROC
Old 05-20-2005, 07:40 AM

Bubba, Ive been in the service for four years, so I've got enough money saved up to buy the kind of car I want. At the moment I own a hyundai elantra, that'll ne my daily driver, and the Z28 or T/A will be my pride and joy. Thanks for the advice though.

As for the infamous piston slap that is associated with the LS1's, Ive come to two conclusions, one, I think you have to look at the history of the car before buying it and of course drive it just to be sure. And two, if it I do buy a car where the piston slab becomes a prevalent problem and Im losing up to a quart or more of oil, then ill just do a rebuild or drop a crate LS1 in it. Besides, I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Ron

Quick Reply: Buying My 1st Camaro?