LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Autometer A/F ratio gauge question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:31 AM

Cool Autometer A/F ratio gauge question...

This is the second a/f ratio gauge ive put in my car (first one broke), and now i im not sure if this one is working right either. It does sweep, but it never sweeps all the way up to the end of the rich side. itll start where it should, but never really sweeps past a light or two past stoich. is it messed up, or is that what everybody elses does?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:55 AM

Well, mine occasionally reaches the 1-3 green lights, but usualy stays between the red mid-range and stoichiometric upper-range. It could be yours is messed up, you tapped into the wrong part of the 02 sensor harness and are corrupting the data signal, or your car really is running leaner than not.

1) Your gauge is screwed
2) Where did you tap into the signal wire at? The closer to the PCM you are, the better. But never tap into the wire in the actual sensor harness itself between the sensor and weatherpack connector.
3) I see you have an 01. Did you port and polish your stock MAF? The 01-02 hate this and cause the cars to run lean if you do anything more than remove the screen.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:14 AM

Cool

I just bought this gauge like 5 days ago and i know its hooked up right. i used the weather pack harness with the O2 wire made for hooking up these gauges. theres no way to hook it up wrong really...unless your a moron. im going to autotap it tonight and compare the signals to see whats up. it does seem to work hough. at WOT, it usually reads a little (1-3 lights) on the rich side. but sometiems theres no lights at all, and it sweeps from no lights to the upper stoich area. this is actually the way it seems to be most of the time. any thoughts? I used all 16 gauge wire to the sensor. could my stereo drawing current mess with this thing? cause when i had my old gauge hooked up, i gave it power for a few monthes before i got around to hooking up the signal wire. it would flash with the bass. hope this isnt another 55 bucks down the tubes...
Old 07-09-2003, 12:58 PM

Cool

I know that theyre not accurate, but i always thought they were supposed to sweep from side to side, all the way. thats what it shows on the autometer website, but like i said, ill compare it with autotap later on today. i think its working...
Old 07-09-2003, 01:54 PM

The "sweeping" should go from all the way lean to the end of Stoich, maybe into rich a couple lights. If you are coasting downhill, and you downshift to slow down, when the RPM's will increase as you continuie to do down hill, once you hit 1900 RPM, the gauge will stop registering because the computer knows you are trying to slow down and will stop putting fuel into the engine, less fuel = more lean. At WOT, the gauge should read a little less than midway on the rich end, probably the 2-6 lights in. If it's doing this, is fine.

Is doesen't matter where you tapped into the wire, as long as you tapped into the high signal wire (violet).
Old 07-09-2003, 02:00 PM

Thanks boss, i always tyhought it was supposed to be a full sweep.