LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Anyone get plug #8 from bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 06:26 PM

Anyone get plug #8 from bottom?

Well, I changed my plugs a few days ago; 7 out of 8. I unbolted 4 out of 5 bolts on the coil pack and slid it upwards (I loosened the 5th bolt). However, I was not able to fit my fat forearm in far enough to pull off the boot of #8 spark plug. I was gonna completely unbolt the coil pack, but that 5th bolt is a nightmare for me to get to. I decided against calling up one of my firends with skinnier arms, and just figured I'd get the plug from the bottom.

I figure unbolting the cat should do the trick and allow me to get to plug #8. Anyone else do this? Any problems?
Old 10-26-2002, 08:47 PM

I can get #8 from the bottom, however I'm built like a tooth pic . The easiest way I have found personally is to get 2 spark plug sockets. One to fit the spark plug and one to fit the end of the spark plug socket #1. Then use a regular rachet from the bottom. You will have to get the car off the ground a good distance to get the leverage without getting stuck under the car though. I've tried most every extension I could find and/or borrow and they are just a little too long. Spark plug socket trick seems to work well.

If this fails...call a skinny friend
Old 10-27-2002, 03:52 PM

I got at mine from the top ~ 2 months ago, one of the most painful experiences, I still have scars on my left arm and hand. But really, with some sweat, blood and patience you can get it from the top. BTW I am 6'1 210# so I don't think I would classify as skinny
Old 10-28-2002, 11:20 AM

A guy here in Memphis does LS1 plug swaps for $80. I prefer to let him change them that me having to fight to do it.

He does #8 from the bottom in 5 minutes. He just reaches over the cat and whips it out, and sticks the new one in.

Matter of fact ... he does the whole plug swap without moving anything except the AIR pipe on the passenger side. He takes about 30 - 45 minutes to do a full swap. (see why I just pay him the $80? )
Old 10-28-2002, 11:28 AM

Starter Out??

I heard you could pull the starter off for easier acess to #8. You may be able to lay it aside without removeing all the wires off the starter too. I read also where some pull the Y pipe. I have not tried myself yet, but will have to do it sooner or later. Good Luck, Later>>>>>>
Old 10-28-2002, 11:54 AM

I got mine from the bottom, but I got a lot of scrapes and cuts on my arm doing it (my arm is not tiny and it was a tight fit). I had to bend away part of the heat shield down there to make my arm fit. Took awhile to do.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:36 PM

I baisclly went straight from this the first time and did ok.
http://installuniversity.com/

I did it from the top, climbing in the engine bay and using a swivel ratchet and a swivel extention. good investment.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:36 PM

i had a friend show me how to do it...he has small hands and got it from the top...but one trick to get more leverage w/socket wrenches is to get a long, hollow piece of pipe that's thin then place that over the end of your socket handle and twist.
so you're putting a handle over a handle to make it longer and to get more torque when twisting the plugs off

Last edited by TerrorDome; 10-28-2002 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:51 PM

Did mine all from the top with just moving the coil pack a bit I left the back bolt in but loosened it , then you can swival the pack out of the way. When I put it back in place I didn't even bother tightening the rear bolt, I figure I'll be back there again so why bother. Some take that last bolt out and never put it back.

Overall it's MUCH easier than my LT1 ever was.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:42 AM

My husband managed to change the plugs even though he ended up with lots of scratches to his hand. You can get good instructions by going to installuniversity.com. We bought a Stanley swivel piece that makes it much easier to reach. It took him about 2 hours.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:07 PM

I never have tried from underneath. I always remove the #8 coil and get to it w/o too much trouble with a std length spark plug socket and a 1" extension on my rachet. It's become quite easy now after several changes. I'm also a fairly large individule with big hands so that shouldn't be much of a concern.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:24 PM

Like somebody else said, just take out that 5th bolt off the coilpack and leave it off.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:42 AM

Install headers first, it makes changing plugs so much easier!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:09 PM

My $0.02...

Did it today, following Installuniversity's advice. From the top, 1" swivel extension. AIR tube removed and coil pack shifted up (4 of 5 bolts removed). The hardest part for me was getting the boot off. I could get my hand wedged back there but had no room to pull. Had to work it off with my fingers, which took about five minutes.

I wish I could find someone to pay me $80 to swap their plugs. I might have some money for those shocks/springs I've been wanting!
Old 11-12-2002, 02:12 PM

I knew being skinny would pay off
It took me about an hour to change all 8 plugs, the only thing I had to unbolt was where the air goes into the manafold