LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

another "i want this much hp" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM

another "i want this much hp" thread...

I was driving my heads cam and intake mustang coupe one day and my friend was in his ws6, we both punched it to get on the interstate, and his car took off on me like I was sitting still.... Anyway, now I've sold my coupe, which ran mid 8's(1/8 mile) on motor and mid 7's on a 125 shot and I have a third gen vert.... As of right now, the plan is for an ls swap with some mods to get the car to be as fast or faster than that ws6 was... His car had heads cam intake full exhaust and a good tune through a 6 speed and supposedly made 450 Rwhp. I know the heads were ported but not sure the castings and the cam was around 228 durration. Also the intake was a bbk ssi that had been ported.

By budget. Less is better but since I have 3 other cars and the camaro's 305 has 2 miles on it, I don't mind taking my time to save up money and do it right once. One idea I had was to buy a complete ls1 swap from a guy locally that will have a t56, harness, engine, everything, sell the ls1 as I've learned people pay a premium for ls1's for some reason, then ill buy a 6 liter truck shortblock with flat tops(lq9, right?) Top that with a good set of ported heads, a good intake, cam to match and a good exhaust.... I'm thinking that should get my vert into the low 7's with propped supporting mods of course, and with a 100 shot or so I could be in the high 6's... Anyway, this is my plan as of now, but I would like any info or past experiences anyone is willing to share. As far as actual engine cost, I'd like to be at or under the 3k mark on cost for the long block and intake if I can... Supporting miss don't need to be counted in that budget, nor does exhaust or a good clutch/suspension.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Re: another "i want this much hp" thread...

That sounds like a pretty good idea and yes you are talking about the LQ9. Just be careful when you buy it a friend of mine thought he was getting an LQ9 and when we took it apart it had the dished pistons which made it an LQ4. A healthy cam only LQ9 should get you into the mid to high 11s(which should in the mid 7s I believe) with everything matched up and set up properly. If you go with heads then you can hit your mark easily but I think that would put it over your 3k budget for the longblock.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM

My initial calculations are around 2k for heads and shortblock. I can get a fresh shortblock for 700, and Texas speed heads are looking around $1300. How much would I benefit from a lq9 over an ls1? I was told today that I'm looking at just 20-25 HP from the 5.7 to the 6.0, if that's all I'm going to get out of the extra what? 75 pounds? I'll just stick with an ls1 and bump up the pill size. As far as 11's vs1/8 mile, I think 11.0 is supposed to be around a 7.0....
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM

im pretty shure lq9s are alum, the lq9s are about the same as ls2s so the hp isnt a huge leap but youll have more displacement so youll be able to squezze more power out of the mods you put on it.i havnt checked prices latley but the lq9s used to be cheaper than a ls1 so its was a better deal,more power,ect.you should be able to hit mid 7s in a fox with a stock lq9 or ls1 with boltons.my full weight 99 ss with boltons went 7.80s spinning so the -500 lbs you have on a fbody you shouldnt have a problem.