LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

4l60e problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 08:03 PM

4l60e problem please help

i changed the fluid and filter on my 98 today cause it had 50k on it and i figured it hasnt been done yet. anyways now that i have done that it will not shift correctly. it hesitates when it is going from 1-2 and 2-2 (when i am in the gas) driveing normal it is fine someone please help i am confused the fluid is right on as for the level according to the dipstick and i still am having probs thanks for the input guys kevin
Old 04-27-2003, 09:59 PM

What fluid did you use???
Old 04-27-2003, 10:02 PM

parts store brand dexron 3 i work at the store though and i know that the fluid we have is made by havoline
Old 04-27-2003, 11:36 PM

Shoots that theory ... some folks use the synthetic and that can cause those kinds of problems and worse.

The only thing I can think of is make sure you check the fluid hot and while the car is idling ... but it sounds like you know what you are doing and have probably already done that.

The only other thing would be to let it set over night before you recheck ... the fluid can hang up in the tube when you are pouring it in and tends to give you false reading that it is full, when it actually isn't.

Good Luck
Old 04-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by V6toZ28
Shoots that theory ... some folks use the synthetic and that can cause those kinds of problems and worse.

The only thing I can think of is make sure you check the fluid hot and while the car is idling ... but it sounds like you know what you are doing and have probably already done that.

The only other thing would be to let it set over night before you recheck ... the fluid can hang up in the tube when you are pouring it in and tends to give you false reading that it is full, when it actually isn't.

Good Luck
so using synthetic is bad?????????
Old 04-28-2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
so using synthetic is bad?????????
Any thing other than Dexron III in a 4l60 will cause you all kinds of grief ...
Old 04-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by V6toZ28
Any thing other than Dexron III in a 4l60 will cause you all kinds of grief ...
you learn something new everyday.....

if i had a 4l60 id prob use synthetic in in
Old 04-28-2003, 01:42 AM

Well from what it sounds like, that you could have something going wrong with the electronics in the tranny, or, not enough tranny fluid...

How did the bottom of the pan look ?? If there was a lot of black crap in the pan or even metal, then it sounds like either the band or clutch packs are going out...

Also another problem that I have learned from previous auto trannys, is when they start shifting like they have a shift kit, when you know the tranny does not have one, then get that tranny looked @ by a transmission shop... Trust me I had a TH400 tranny act like that for about 2 days before the tranny blew up on me.. It could be any number of reasons, also did the old tranny fluid look burnt ?? That could indicate problems as well...

Charlie
Old 04-28-2003, 04:42 AM

Could be the filter fell off and under acelleration it's not getting the proper amount of oil??
Old 04-28-2003, 05:51 AM

Were you sure to pry out the old aluminum ring around the filter tube before installing the new filter???

Also.....it's normal to have some black/grey sediment(FINE) at the bottom of the pan. The REAL problems come from sediments that you can actually feel between your fingers when you rub the stuff between 'em. And if you can SEE the granuals............start savin' up for a new tranny--quick.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:22 AM

i did pry out the old metal ring for the seal.
i checked it while it was hot and idleing
there was some gray sediment n the bottom of the pan but it was so fine you couldnt even feel it in your hand all you could feel was the fluid.
so right now i am gonna take it up to the tranny shop that a friend of mine works at and let the pros figure it out. thanks for your help guys i really appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:43 AM

Please let us know what it ended up being so we can handle the same problem if we need to!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:20 AM

add more fluid..

just to be certain I will explain how that was on my 4L60e.

I could drive normally with no issue.. but the second I put the pedal down and tried to launch, it would go to redline, I would back off, then it would shift.. same with the 2-3 shift.. Took it to an aamco, and they looked at it.. called me the next day.. told me to pick it up.. (i had just gotten the tranny installed the week before). They said try it now.. I did.. I was like WOW!.. The car pulled hard and fast... Shifted perfectly.. I asked them what they did.. ADD MORE FLUID was the reply.. Appearantly when the dolts that installed my tranny did so, they failed to add the proper amount of fluid.

may help.. may not.. but now you know...

good luck!
Old 04-28-2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by amood
Were you sure to pry out the old aluminum ring around the filter tube before installing the new filter???

Also.....it's normal to have some black/grey sediment(FINE) at the bottom of the pan. The REAL problems come from sediments that you can actually feel between your fingers when you rub the stuff between 'em. And if you can SEE the granuals............start savin' up for a new tranny--quick.
Yes it is normal to have some black and grey sediment in the pan but what I was talking about was an excessive amount like 1/4" or more...

also what psychocabbage said that it could be lack of fluid causing that... Always best to check fluid as the first check...

Charlie