LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

2002 camaro ss "exhaust leaks black liquid "

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 03:37 AM

2002 camaro ss "exhaust leaks black liquid "

Hey guys, I have a 02 camaro ss and since I bought I noticed my exhaust has always been black and that everytime I start it and let it idle it starts to spit out black liquid I'm assuming it's oil so my mechanic said that my valve stem seals are gone and that my motor is getting the oil properly can someone tell me if that's the problem cuz I have a high extreme rpm comp cam and I was wondering if there are certain valve stems or does it not really matter
Old 11-03-2016, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Re: 2002 camaro ss "exhaust leaks black liquid "

Several possibilities.

Could be a mixture of carbon and water. When gasoline burns, it forms water (steam) and carbon dioxide. The water condenses in the exhaust as it cools, mixes with carbon deposits and drips/spits black liquid.

The amount can be made worse by the engine running rich, which produces unburned hydrocarbons that can deposit in the cooler areas of the exhaust system. The liquid dripping out the exhaust pipe would tend to have a gasoline smell. It could also produce more liquid if you have a bad head gasket, and coolant is entering the combustion chamber. In that case the exhaust would have the sweet smell of ethylene glycol.

An engine burning oil will typically produce blue smoke out the exhaust. And oil level would drop faster than normal.