LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

1998 camaroZ28

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:53 AM

1998 camaroZ28

hey guys its A-Rod here ...im new and i dont have a camaro i just needed some info on them i am right now looking at two different 1998 Z28's

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=20

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=20

those are the two links to the cars...but anyway i just wanted to know if they are good reliable cars...i heard that they total easy just any info on them plzz plzz help a first time buyer....
Old 07-22-2003, 05:09 AM

the prices seem a bit high considering the high mileage.

find out the kelly blue book value of each first.
maybe you need to run the VIN's thru a GM dealer to make sure the cars are what the owners say they are.
get a mechanic to check them. the pics look good tho. but it's hard to tell a car's condition from just that.

good luck and welcome aboard!
Old 07-22-2003, 02:38 PM

I have a 98 z28. I love it.
The price you pay for fun and
performance is unmatched.

I bought mine used too. It was 6 months old and
some lady needed four door so she let it go. Good
for me. The only complaint I have is the t-tops leak a bit.

Anyways I agree the red one is a bit high.
you may be able to talk the people down a bit.

If I were you I would drive the cars for a bit (HARD).
I drove mine 5 times before I bought it.
Be sure to check everything on the car, everything.

The main thing is to buy what you will be happy with.
If you want 17' wheels in the future you may find a car
that already has them. Same applies for tint. Pick the color you want unless you plan on painting it. They both have new tires! Black is harder to keep clean than red,
but black looks better. -too me.

If they are automatics look at the door codes.
GU2 code means it has 2.73 gears and steel driveshaft.
GU5 code means it has 3.23 gears and Aluminum driveshaft!!!

good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:57 PM

The car probably will total easily, because it's mostly fiberglass and it depends what hits you, but I feel safe in my car because it's a fairly large car.

They're reliable cars as long as you take car of them. They're very user-friendly and easy to drive.

Tires and performance parts are very expensive.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:22 PM

alright thx everyone i have not tested these cares yet i am going out on Sat to do that im a gonna test drive them and i am gonna take them to a dealership or mechanic before i buy...i love the way the red one looks but i like black better....and these cars are pretty low to the other ones on the autotrader ....do u guys have any websites were i can buy a used 1998 Z28 if u do plzz send a link and any other info would help..thank u once again
Old 07-22-2003, 03:32 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by A-Rod
alright thx everyone i have not tested these cares yet i am going out on Sat to do that im a gonna test drive them and i am gonna take them to a dealership or mechanic before i buy...i love the way the red one looks but i like black better....and these cars are pretty low to the other ones on the autotrader ....do u guys have any websites were i can buy a used 1998 Z28 if u do plzz send a link and any other info would help..thank u once again
Be careful when you hit the gas!

Yes, if you don't have too much of mechanical knowledge/ability, it is good to have somebody more qualified inspect the car for you. Money well spent.

Also run a CarFax before you buy. It will not guarantee you everything, of course, but it's only 15-20 bucks. Money well spen there, too.

I can understand why you like the red one more, but unless the market is a whole lot crooked over in your area, the price is wayyy too high.

FWIW, I paid $14.9K for mine (bone stock 00 Z28, pics in sig) w/under 36K miles 4 months ago.

If it turns out to be the one you want, at least try to get the seller lower the price. If you think it is worth that much for you, then go for it. I wouldn't pay it, though...

Good luck!

TS
Old 07-22-2003, 04:01 PM

well i found a 00 Z28 silver with 52k miles and its only 13500 but i dont really want it silver witch it is....

alot of the camaros are ok but i mean i really do want a black one but i dont know why but to me the red one looks so niceee and it looks kinda like a jag for some reason....the good new is my dad likes both the camaros i have showed u i just would like to know why u think they are priced high because to me they seem cheap lol but o well we will see i guess when i get it checked out and ****.....keep the posts commin

Last edited by A-Rod; 07-22-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:00 PM

Exclamation

well i found a 00 Z28 silver with 52k miles and its only 13500 but i dont really want it silver witch it is....

alot of the camaros are ok but i mean i really do want a black one but i dont know why but to me the red one looks so niceee and it looks kinda like a jag for some reason....the good new is my dad likes both the camaros i have showed u i just would like to know why u think they are priced high because to me they seem cheap lol but o well we will see i guess when i get it checked out and ****.....keep the posts commin
We all have our reasons for wanting certain colors, but if giving up my first choice of color means getting myself into a two year newer car, as long as the overall condition is pretty much similar, I would definetely give up the color. No matter what.

You can always add your choice of wheels, tints etc. to the other one later on.

But that's just me...

Good luck with your choice!

TS
Old 07-22-2003, 06:54 PM

alot of the camaros are ok but i mean i really do want a black one but i dont know why but to me the red one looks so niceee and it looks kinda like a jag for some reason
When I was searching for a Camaro to buy I was HARD PRESSED on getting a black one just so I could tint the windows dark and put blacklights on the back, because my friend has the same thing and it looked cool. Then, I found my car and fell in love with Navy Blue Metallic, mostly due in part to the car's impeccable condition and price. It looks great with tinted windows and it's less of a cop and thief magnet than a red car is.

If you really want a black car, then get one, who cares if it gets dirty easily, mines does too, but I like the color.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:03 PM

common on guys help me plzz dont stop ......u gotta have more than this im still undecided
Old 07-22-2003, 10:03 PM

I wouldnt buy the black one cause he used the words "custom stereo" I hate when people say that. Custom means its one off not another out there not that you changed it with some mass produced parts. Other thing is the "Xenon" lights, there probably just cheap imitations that the owner bought at Pep Boys. If they were real Xenon lamps that means the owner was really into appearances but if they were why is he still on the stock rims. Overall his wording in his ad leaves me to believe its not a good car to buy.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:09 PM

alright thx....he siad he has to sell it because he has a new boat and he is gettting a truck....if they are all crap items like u say then ill get new ones....like i said before im still undecided
Old 07-22-2003, 10:22 PM

i knwo ppl on here are gonna hate me saying, but if you can try to get a 99 because some of the 98's have problems. some are great and some aren't, its kinda like flipping a coin
Old 07-22-2003, 10:22 PM

Got a black 98z with 80000mi beautiful condition, updated clutch, etc that I'd let go for $10000. Can be seen here:

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...lor=&cardist=0
Old 07-23-2003, 12:23 AM

nice